Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Replacing lower vent with stainless

MWMW Posts: 61
edited 6:39AM in EggHead Forum
I have just received my new stainles lower vent and can't find the posting that described installing it from earlier this summer. I am particularly interested in finding out recommendations for the required sealant.
Regards...
MW

Comments

• ZipZip Posts: 372
    81158.jpg
    <p />MW,[p]High temperature silicone is what you want. Like Tim says below in his online manual, black is nice. Permatex makes some black you should be able to find at NAPA or other auto parts stores as well as places like Wal-Mart. It it rated for 450°, but it can go higher. The red or orange is rated for higher temps like 600° I believe.[p]Check out the link below.[p]Z

[ul][li]Tim's Place[/ul]
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    vent4-1.jpg
    <p />MW,[p]This link below the picture will take you to my webpage where I replaced my vent. Very easy.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M does the stainless vent install[/ul]
    vent5.jpg
    <p />Zip,
    Black would be best (actually green would but they don't make it). I had some red silicone showing when I finished the project and I just grabbed a little ash and sprinkled it on the, still wet, silicone. Now its a dark gray and thats fine - better than red.[p]Tim

vent5.jpg
    <p />Zip,
    Black would be best (actually green would but they don't make it). I had some red silicone showing when I finished the project and I just grabbed a little ash and sprinkled it on the, still wet, silicone. Now its a dark gray and thats fine - better than red.[p]Tim

• ZipZip Posts: 372
    Tim M,[p]You shouldn't have told me that. I thought from the pics that you had done a perfect job with none of the red showing. Silicone is like that expanding squirt foam, a little will go a long way. [p]It just goes to show you that simple ideas work very well, no rocket surgery or brain science.....[p]Ashley[p]

• MWMW Posts: 61
    Tim M, tahnk you.... just what I needed.
    MW

• MWMW Posts: 61
    Tim M, Thank you very much.
    MW[p]

Zip,
    Well, actually --- no I got some in the wrong places, but it easily wipped off. I didn't even notice the problem when the Egg was on its side in the operating room, it was after I uprighted him that I saw <FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="4">"RED"</FONT></FONT>. The problem was that the silicone needs to fill some pretty wide gaps to keep the air from going around it. By sprinkling ash on it - it turned dardk gray - rather nice actually. You can't even detect it unless you were looking for it.[p]Tim