Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Bulgoki/Freeze-Marinate

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,399
edited 3:55PM in EggHead Forum
Howdy.
In the thread a few days ago we talked about freezing meat in its marinade. At that time, I froze some Vietnature ribs in the marinade. Look forward to trying the final marinated/froze/thawed version.[p]My wife found a nice new Korean market that has spectacular produce, and fresh fish and meats. She picked up a huge pack of beef short ribs, cut Korean style, and I marinated up a whole bunch (see new recipes from last July, Korean Beef, Bulgoki). [p]Anywho, I split them up into 3 ziplocks, marinated for 8 hours, and froze 2 of them. Cooked up the third bag for dinner! They were cut pretty thin, (1/4 inch), but instead of searing, I cooked them at about 300, direct with hickory chips. Let them go 15 minutes in the smoke, and flipped. There were pools of juice on top when I flipped.[p]Then I let temp increase to 400, and seared them up at the finish. Kind of backwards from a hot sear, then a slow dwell, but they were good.[p]Also, there is something special about hickory smoke. Especially with pork and beef. Yum.[p]I will post results after I try the frozen version.[p]Eat Bulgoki, and have a great night.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]Hickory smoke has a fullness and a mellow flavor that just seems to blend nicely with just about everything (that is why it is the most popular smoking wood). I use it often and like to combine it with other woods. Smoke is only a spice as far as flavoring the meal, it is just added later and in a different way.[p]Please remember that as the temperature drops, marination slows and stops once everything freezes. Marination slowly starts again as temps rise above freezing. You can store a meat in a marinade for several months in the freezer without actually having the marinade work on the meat. I like to marinate for the desired time and then freeze. Anything pulled from the freezer is then ready to cook.[p]Ain't it fun to experiment?[p]Spin
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,399
    Spin,
    Yeah. I realize it won't marinate while frozen. But 8 hours before hand, and then again the entire time it thaws. Should be good. It is a lot of fun to experiment!.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]Got to give those a try I have not done much of anything lately.[p]Elder Ward
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,399
    Elder Ward,
    They are among our top favorites. Always a hit.

DizzyPigBBQ.com