Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bulgoki/Freeze-Marinate

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy.
In the thread a few days ago we talked about freezing meat in its marinade. At that time, I froze some Vietnature ribs in the marinade. Look forward to trying the final marinated/froze/thawed version.[p]My wife found a nice new Korean market that has spectacular produce, and fresh fish and meats. She picked up a huge pack of beef short ribs, cut Korean style, and I marinated up a whole bunch (see new recipes from last July, Korean Beef, Bulgoki). [p]Anywho, I split them up into 3 ziplocks, marinated for 8 hours, and froze 2 of them. Cooked up the third bag for dinner! They were cut pretty thin, (1/4 inch), but instead of searing, I cooked them at about 300, direct with hickory chips. Let them go 15 minutes in the smoke, and flipped. There were pools of juice on top when I flipped.[p]Then I let temp increase to 400, and seared them up at the finish. Kind of backwards from a hot sear, then a slow dwell, but they were good.[p]Also, there is something special about hickory smoke. Especially with pork and beef. Yum.[p]I will post results after I try the frozen version.[p]Eat Bulgoki, and have a great night.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Hickory smoke has a fullness and a mellow flavor that just seems to blend nicely with just about everything (that is why it is the most popular smoking wood). I use it often and like to combine it with other woods. Smoke is only a spice as far as flavoring the meal, it is just added later and in a different way.[p]Please remember that as the temperature drops, marination slows and stops once everything freezes. Marination slowly starts again as temps rise above freezing. You can store a meat in a marinade for several months in the freezer without actually having the marinade work on the meat. I like to marinate for the desired time and then freeze. Anything pulled from the freezer is then ready to cook.[p]Ain't it fun to experiment?[p]Spin
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Spin,
    Yeah. I realize it won't marinate while frozen. But 8 hours before hand, and then again the entire time it thaws. Should be good. It is a lot of fun to experiment!.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Got to give those a try I have not done much of anything lately.[p]Elder Ward
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    They are among our top favorites. Always a hit.

DizzyPigBBQ.com