Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cooking Suggestions -- GROUPER

Bama FireBama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up some gorgeous grouper filets while in Pensacola (Joe Patti's seafood -- well worht the trip!!) Anyway, I just know they'll be great on the egg, but I'm not quite sure how to cook them or what seasonings to use.[p]Thanks, in advance, for your eggspert help. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend![p]B~F

Comments

• ChiefChief Posts: 154
    Bama Fire,
    I looked on the internet for a recipe for grilled grouper and only found one. Go to www.askjeeves.com. Request grilled grouper and it will lead you to a site that has a recipe on it.[p]Hope ya had a good visit down this way and the grouper comes out ok.[p]Bob

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    Bama Fire,[p]Grouper is great blackened cajun style. I've done it both in a cast iron skillet over a propane burner and on the Egg at extreme steak temps for 2 minutes a side relative to about 3/4 inch thickness. The Egg wins. My vote would be with a butter baste and Paul Prudhomme's "redfish magic" or equivalent or better such as make your own "Essence of Emeril" mix from FoodTV.com[p]K~G
    hot peppers rule!
    pepper.gif

• Bama FireBama Fire Posts: 267
    Chief,
    Yep -- had a wonderful trip. The bikini's were actually nice. I think the seaweed may've helped their development. :-)[p]B~F

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,244
    Bama Fire,
    I like Kenny G's idea of a blackened style seasoning. I have also done a mustard slather, and sprinkle on cajun seasoning. Sometimes I will spritz with some olive oil. [p]These do very well grilling direct at 450. For 1 inch thick filets, I go about 6-8 minutes on the first side. The key is to flip gently, and only once. Don't overcook.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Bama FireBama Fire Posts: 267
    Nature Boy,
    Nothin' worse than chewy dry fish. YUCK![p]Wifey just emailed and said that she's confident in me. Well, doesn't that just put the pressure on to produce top quality fish tonight.[p]I've been thinking about trying some char-crust on some.[p]I'll post some results tomorrow.[p]B~F