Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Triple Decker Rack - LOTS OF PICS (Beware!!!)

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend I am cooking as much pulled pork as I can fit in the egg so I built a triple decker rack. I'm putting one rack really low. The lowest grate is about 1 inch above the plate setter. So I needed to smash down the drip pan to 1 inch. I used 3/8 stainless threaded rod, nuts, and fender washers that are tight on the bottom rack. The grate on the bottom is a 16 1/2 inch charbroil generic replacement. It fits perfectly between the plate setter legs.[p]
The aluminum flat bars add some stiffness to this contraption. The nuts above and below the aluminum are only finger tight so I can adjust them as needed. The top rack is the BGE raised grate.[p]My question is: Do I have to use a drip pan? Or could I just put foil over the plate setter to keep if from soaking in? I am going to try to get 60 pounds of pork in there, so that means there will lots of grease flowing. [p]Eggecutioner[p]
P1010257A.jpg[p]
[p]
P1010258.jpg[p]
[p]P1010260.jpg[p]
[p]P1010261A.jpg[p]
[p]P1010262.jpg[p]
[p]P1010263.jpg[p]

I am going to try to get one of the smaller butts on the top rack in the center. There looks like ther is about 5 inches of clearance in the center.
P1010264.jpg

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]I expect that you can get away with that shallow drip pan *if* you plan on changing it (or dumping it) part way through.[p]I know the purists are shouting at me that you cant open up the cooker in the middle of the cook, but I'd say that you'd not only benefit from cleaning out that grease before it smokes, but also from re-arranging those butts so that you don't cook the top ones to a crisp.[p]Frankly, with an egg, I've not seen a case where a pragmatic (and quick!) re-shuffle got in the way of a good cook. Now on a metal cooker, that's a whole 'nuther story…[p]60# of smoked pork, NOW I'm hungry![p]bc[p]

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    At sixty pounds I'd say you are pushing it but hey i've only done two butts at a time so go for it and tell us how it goes.[p]Dennis

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That's a nice setup, but it looks like there's not gonna be any room between butts with those dimensions. Since the butts are probably going to be touching anyway, wouldn't you get the same results just by stacking them? I do 4 butts that way all the time and they come out great. I could see the logic if you are creating space around each layer (more bark). Please post some pics when you load it up.[p]All the best,
    Jim

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Can't wait to see the results of that cook.

• The Virginian
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I have to agree with JSLOT. If you used only boneless butts they might fit, but most that I work with are more than 3 inches high. There may also be an aircirculation problem. If they all do fit without touching the grates or each other, then I say go for it and tell us how it works out. Nice constuction, by the way![p]Brett[p]

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Here is why I think there is a difference. They may be touching at the beginning of the cook. I plan on adjusting the middle rack so they just touch. As they shrink they will be able to develop bark on them. Where if I stacked them they would be in contact the whole time of the cook.[p]Eggecutioner
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    The Virginian,[p]I don't think that they are boneless. I wonder if I could trim them up to get rid of the bone.[p]Eggecutioner
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    bc,[p]There is no way I would tell anyone I opened the lid...EVER. LOL.[p]I'm thinking I could use a bulb baster then I wouldn't have to remove everything.[p]Eggecutioner
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    jake42,[p]Are you a Doubting Thomas? Sounds like you don't think it can be done?

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I think It will fit, I really do.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]To heck with getting the meat in there. How ya gonna get it out?[p](Keep in mind, I'm terribly impressed with your contraption).
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I have thought of that. The top grid is the BGE Grid that will lift off. The middle grid is the original BGE grid. That one also lifts off the contraption. It is only setting on the aluminum "Triangle".[p]Eggecutioner

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Ohhhhhhh. That makes sense. See, I'm so dim I can't tell the difference between set on there and tightened together on there.[p]Nice work. [p]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You can certainly bone them out if you want to. I wouldn't do it, though. I can't explain it, but them bones add something to the finished product besides waste. I've cooked boneless butts and when all is said and done, they just don't seem to have the same flavor and texture as the bone-in butts. I'm looking forward to your pics.[p]Jim
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Eggecutioner, Nice set up. I've done some multi-level cooks on my contraption. The biggest issue I've found is at the center of the middle grid, including lower side of upper grid and upper side of lower grid. The air circulation is weak, yielding bark issues and differing cooking speeds. I rotate my grids. I don't use the fire ring which also helps. Good Luck. Tom

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]If you don't use the fire ring that means your not able to add as much charcoal. Has that been an issue for you in the past?[p]I think it woul be nice if the fire ring had 1 inch deep notches for the plate setter. You could still add suffecient amount of lump and I would be able to raise the lowest grate allowing a full height drip pan.[p]Eggecutioner

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Thanks! I agree that bones always add flavor. I don't even think I have the skill to bone them, they might come out looking like Pork sausage. But, I am trying to cram as much into the egg as possible. I think its the bone guts that add flavor.[p]
    Eggecutioner

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Eggecutioner, with the lump, I've gone 12 to 14 hours using picnic and still had ample lump left over. On my deal I have a 1 inch metal ring sitting on the firebox that gives me a little extra height. I follow Elder Wards method to load and crown it in the middle. [p]A two part fire ring would be nice, say cut in half along the horizontal. One could use on ring and get an inch or two extra for pans and such or double up and use conventionally. Check your email. Tom

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Nah thats me :>)
    Air circulation and cooking times are going to be the hurdle IMHO. Best of luck and do prove us wrong and post the pictures. Always nice to know just how far you can push the eggvelope.[p]Dennis

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I am actually concerned myself about the meat that will be in the center of mass. I am going to plan on doing a meat rotation sometime through the cook.[p]Eggecutioner

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Yikes, that’s a lot of meat – yet very very cool.[p]Besides all of the other issues of airflow and arrangement, I would pay a little more attention to catching the liquid coming off that kind of biomass.[p]I recently did four butts, and though I was able to collect the drippings in an drip pan, my egg was “drooling from top and bottom vent. I had streaks down the side and liquid dripping out of the bottom – considering the felt liner was also soaked I presume it was a condensation effect and not a leaking pan. The worst part was that the poor dogs spent the whole night licking the bottom vent and messing with my temperature controller’s fan.[p]Bottom line, letting that much grease burn up during a cook might add an off flavor.[p]Just a thought.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    pivotizer,
    I am only try to squeeze double the abount that you did in the Egg. 4 butts should have weighed about 30 pounds.
    After doing 4 butts do you think you would have filled a 2" drip pan? I have to mash down my pan to 1". I will have 8 butts I believe.[p]Here is something Else I never tought of... I figure at some point I have to empty that drip pan. The question is WHEN? Does the grease come off at a consistent rate? Or does it "Evacuate" during the Plateau? So Much to learn...[p]
    Eggecutioner

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Here I plead utter and complete ignorance. I have actually never opened the lid during a low and slow. I have never actually done a low and slow without a temperature controller – too lazy or too chicken (probably a good combination of both).[p]As long as the pan is sturdy and reasonably level I would presume that it would hold all of the liquid – I don’t remember there being an inordinate amount of liquid in the pan when I was done. A 15 inch pan would give you about 176 cu in. If water is 64 pounds a cubic foot, the pan will hold about 7 pounds before it starts to flow over without taking evaporation into the equation.[p]I would be curious to find out how much is left over after your experiment.[p]
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    Do you need to use Stianless bolts?
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • Hankyorke
    Options
    That's from 9 years ago

LBGE

BTFU!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Fred is gonna be pissed!
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I must say I like his improvisation skills. I give it 2 thumbs up for sure. Old thread or new it's deserveing of a look for sure. There is always someone inquiring about how to load up with more meat on the egg. I'm impressed.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.