Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it better for big lumps of wood or smaller pieces???

Options
ive been getting bags lately with huge pieces of lump charcoal and some smaller pieces like finger size. Which is better to use?  I’ve been putting chuncks to the side just cause it seems hardly to light?  

Comments

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Larger pieces typically provide better airflow. I use the small stuff for hotter cooks, although it all burns. Are you finding those in Royal Oak bags?!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    It all burns.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Daddy_3_boys
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Larger pieces typically provide better airflow. I use the small stuff for hotter cooks, although it all burns. Are you finding those in Royal Oak bags?!
    Yes and in cowboy charcoal 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I tend to save my big pieces in a separate bag and then when doing a low slow cook build a little campfire on the grate and then dump smaller stuff in to fill the rest of the space as I find this helps get my centre fire to burn straight down vs. wandering from side to side or front to back and potentially creating un-even heat / hotspots that sneak around the plate setter and hit just one corner of the meat if its larger like ribs, brisket, shoulder etc. 
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Are you finding those in Royal Oak bags?!
      The RO bags I bought at Costco are labeled as "large" or something like that.  The pieces are huge!
    Raleigh, NC
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The larger pieces are normally pretty easy to break into smaller pieces.
    Cooking indirect, for me, it does not seem to matter much on size.
    Cooking direct, even raised direct, seems like larger pieces do not provide a very even heat across the cooking grate. More hot spots.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I used to like the larger pieces, but once I started using the KAB I honestly don't care about lump size because I'm not worried about a bunch of small pieces clogging holes.
    Stillwater, MN