Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

finally going to try and have a rub comparison

Options
I bought the dizzy pig sampler pack a while ago and have not had a chance to break into it. Today is the day that I will try 4 of Dizzy pig rubs against the 2 rubs Ive always used Ill let you know what I think later tonight. I took 3 racks of BB and cut them in half and rubbed 6 different rubs on
1. DP Raging River
2. DP Dizzy Dust
3. DP Pineapple Head
4. DP Crossroads
5. All American Seasoning Rub
6. Bad Byrons butt rub
the ribs are going in now for 275 indirect naked with a dry drip pan till tooth pick tender
Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Dude.  Great plan.  Standing by for results.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
    Waiting to see the results. No Redeye Express?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Nice task.

I've tried that before but by the time they came off, I'd forgotten what was on what rack!
    Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    okay i paid careful attention to which rack was what, I had an order and a plan. I took the ribs off sliced them and kept them separate, all going perfectly according to plan. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands and came back and my wife put them all in a big serving dish completely mixed. I actually let out a little tear as i knew I would never know what is what after they have been mixed. So sorry to say it was a bust (the comparison that is the ribs were great) But I do want to mention that I put the ribs on at 3:15 285 dome temp and when I went to flip them at 5:15 they were close to done great pull back and great bend (I did not toothpick at that time) I left them on another 15 minutes just because I wanted to add some bark to the meaty side and they tooth picked like butter. the dome snuck up to 315 so my ribs that once took 3-5 hours are now cooking in 2.5 hours what is happening (unless my dome gauge is off, I checked it about a month ago and pretty close to grate temp maybe 10 degrees off at 350) or does this happen when egg starts to break in it cooks faster (doubt that is a possibility by figured Id ask). Any way will try again and this time going to eat them off the grill so no mix up next time.

Long Island NY    
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Sometimes you need to take one for the team and repeat an experiment.  Sounds like ribs again.

fwiw, I’ve tried something similar and had real trouble distinguishing between rubs by anything other than heat.
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    there was very little difference in flavor 

Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Great plan -no comment on the execution =).  But if they all tasted great then you have a sure-fire excuse to go again in the near-term. Calibrate your thermo to take all the worry out of being close.  
    Regarding thermos/temps- pic one (confident in the readings) and then go.  You can quickly get into temperature information overload.  Just figure out how your BGE works with the temperature device of choice and go with it.  FWIW-
    BTW- your clock box has enough thermal variations to make the BGE look like a digital machine-and it's not.  Q cooking is an analog event for me-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.