Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15# brisket

Options
Picked a 15# brisket yesterday. I've been looking at how long to smoke it and have had people say 7 to 17 hours. Just a little confused on how much of a difference is in between 10 hours? 
It's the cow that drives the meat!!

XL Egg, Mini Max, Mini,  17" Blackstone 
Wi

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I don’t see how you could possibly smoke it in 7hours. The general rule is 1hr to 1.5 per pound. I would think anything less than 1hr per pound would not allow the fat to render enough or make it tender enough.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• 4littleeggs
    Options
    It'll be my first brisket so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for the information 

Wi
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I would say plan 1hr per pound. The egg is extremely efficient so that really helps. The main keys are steady temp. Around 250 is usually pretty easy to obtain. And don’t open the lid often if you can avoid it. Stick a probe in the thickest part of the point and pull around 195-200 internal temp but more than temp go for feel. Once it’s around those temps pull the probe and try putting it in diff places. If it goes in without resistance it’s done. Being that size brisket Be sure to let it sit for a minimum of 1 hour covered in a cooler before serving

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Also, welcome to the forum. This place is a wealth of info.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Welcome...many variables to out a time on it....Grade of beef? Prime will go faster than select ...what temp are you plannimg? Are you going naked all the way, foil?...it will keep in a cooler for hours, give yourself plenty of time and enjoy the ride
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    That’s pretty solid what @TEXASBGE2018 is saying about time.  My overnighters range anywhere from 12-14 hours depending on size.  I usually set my FB @260.  Good luck & keep us updated. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Paging the brisket gods.....

(@lousubcap)
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Pics, is it trimmed to 15# and grade will make a big difference. + on the above comments.  Go for the feel, probe like buttah.  250 -275 on the dome.

Check out Franklin BBQ brisket video, great info there on trimming, cooking and carving.

Welcome and post some pics when it's cooked.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Several hours ago I did PM the OP quite a brisket read.  Sometimes you have to do your homework.  And even then we all know how the friggin cow drives the cook.  ;)
    Edit:  look in the "Inbox" below your profile highlight.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Several hours ago I did PM the OP quite a brisket read.  Sometimes you have to do your homework.  And even then we all know how the friggin cow drives the cook.  ;)
    Edit:  look in the "Inbox" below your profile highlight.
    The stuff legends are made of, right here. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    well did you end up cooking it this weekend?

• 4littleeggs
    Options
    I did not I'm going to next weekend. Unexcepted things came up and ran out of time. Will post pictures though.

Wi
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Good luck, take your time, it will be worth it.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.