Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Done with unni and their awful communication. Just ordered a Roccbox

Options
Got sick of the cryptic clue deciphering from unni and waiting for the gas burner updates.  Getting information from them is awful.  So, I will be getting rid of am getting one roccbox for propane- fueled mobile pizza parties.

Earlier i indicated that the uuni was preferred because it was half the cost- BUT it is tenfold the frustration and fortunately for me, i got in a position to get a roccbox.  It arrives next week and i'll use it and post results here.

Anyone else experience what i did with uuni?  they make it nearly impossible to get information from them.

Big time bummer.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sucks to get no help from a company that has you over a barrel.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,121
    Options
    Just saw a Roccbox for the first time this weekend.  Guy has a little pizza tent he sets up at the local farmers market.  The Roccbox looks very well made.

The guy running it needs a bit more practice though.  All of his pies crust was burnt on one half.  Not blackened crispy, but like charcoal burnt.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Sucks man, look at it as upgrading.
    Looking forward to the post/review.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    Been there, got rid of my uuni recently too.
    @Ozzie_Isaac check out this guy, selling Roccbox pizza at farmer's market, he has it down pat. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7q7Bkt4IHGpwZVCx1xpi1g

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Never dealt with the company myself but it seems the folks that I've been reading on other forums that have gotten them have really been digging their Uuni Pro's.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,083
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Just saw a Roccbox for the first time this weekend.  Guy has a little pizza tent he sets up at the local farmers market.  The Roccbox looks very well made.

The guy running it needs a bit more practice though.  All of his pies crust was burnt on one half.  Not blackened crispy, but like charcoal burnt.
    Did the guy turn the pizzas halfway through? Everyone I've seen using/demo-ing a Roccbox does this to prevent half burnt pizza.

@westernbbq what's the price of the Roccbox in the US? Here they are £499 plus delivery ... so an easy pass.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @Stormbringer, it was $599 at Williams Sonoma and, as luck would have it, i recently was given a $500 gift card for Williams Sonoma.  Add to that the $100 visa gift vard i recently received and it becomes pretty easy to justify.   I probably wouldnt go buy a roccbox as i have the uuni 2s and the 3.  But i took this gift card to WS and the roccbox popping up on WS website as a sign from above to stop holding out hope for uuni delivering a gas burner when they said they would....august.   they must have the same product planning marketing team utilized by the Big Green Egg company....the minimax debacle comes to mind..

My  biggest complaints regarding uuni is that they make you log in to a cryptic website to ask a simple question, and the one question i asked was acknowledged but never answered and they dont have anyone you can call and talk to.    

Im excited about the roccbox and its dual fuel capabilities.  Every review forum i looked at mentions how well made it is so, maybe i shouldve gotten this a looonng time ago..

• westernbbq
    Options

Did the guy turn the pizzas halfway through? Everyone I've seen using/demo-ing a Roccbox does this to prevent half burnt pizza.

@westernbbq what's the price of the Roccbox in the US? Here they are £499 plus delivery ... so an easy pass.
    And yes, in roccbox and uuni you have to turn the za halfway through to prevent back side crom getting burned....
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

That Roccbox looks pretty cool.  Thanks for posting - I've never really looked into it.  Seems to be very well made.  My only issue is the size.  Seems pretty cramped.  If they could up size it by 50% I'd be all in.

Phoenix 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    @Stormbringer these are made here in the UK. £499 isn't bad against $599 in the US when you consider the 20% VAT is already in the price.

@westernbbq is the $599 plus tax or including? What % do you pay?

I keep looking at these. Maybe santa will oblige.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    @westernbbq - someone must know you quite well to gift $500 to Williams-Sonoma.  Way to make the move.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Got my Roccbox today which I ordered about 6 weeks ago. Ready to use right of the box. Will try pizza on Sunday.
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• westernbbq
    Options
    Eoin said:
    @Stormbringer these are made here in the UK. £499 isn't bad against $599 in the US when you consider the 20% VAT is already in the price.

Out the door was $641...and that extrabwas sales tax.  Shipping via ups ground is free so inthouhht it was a good deal....
  • westernbbq
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @westernbbq - someone must know you quite well to gift $500 to Williams-Sonoma.  Way to make the move.  
    Well i help people solve problems for a living and some sage advice i recently provided someome got the gift card to WS...i felt a little awkward but they know i love cooking and insisted, so, i went ahead and searched WS randomly and the roccbox popped up
    Now, had i not been the frustrated owner of two uuni ovens, i would have bought a roccbox unit last year.   Being pregnant with the uunis , i figured spending cash on roccbox wasnt going to pass the finance committee approval, but if i got it as a gift, well then thats OK

Im not angry at uuni but i am frustrated with how difficult it is to get answers to simple questions. Ill admit i am impatient but i grew tired of the coming soon advertised on uuni webpage with zero answers to questions i asked....

I think the uuni ostensibly appears to be a lower cost alternative to a roccbox, but the frustration level at not being able to obtain things like a gas burner or solid updates on its delivery involve a much higher cost. Maybe they figure it out.  I dunno.   

Pizzabike in the UK has three uuni and three roccbox units and their reviews indicate roccbox build quality is much higher than uuni.    

Im excited to take possession of roxxbox and will post results here....
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Got my Roccbox today which I ordered about 6 weeks ago. Ready to use right of the box. Will try pizza on Sunday.
    That looks really nice.  Plz post results of your learning curve when you are able
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Thanks @wsternbbq. Will do. 
    Bucks County, PA

• westernbbq
    Options
    Sweet!   At first i was taken aback at seeiing it indoors then i realized its no different than a gas oven!
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Yes. It's in the garage for the winters. I will take all the precautions when lighting it up--move it away from the wall, open windows for adequate oxygen, have fire extinguisher ready, not leave unattended etc. Will not use wood but gas only when using indoors.  Am excited about my first cook. Have dough ready for Neapolitan pizza in the freeze.
    Bucks County, PA

• westernbbq
    Options
    In AZ we pretty much cook year round...yes even in summer when it is brutally hot outside.  Summer nighttime pool parties with great food are awesome... but between now and next june, i am cooking outside pretty much 3x a week, sometimes more.  Next tues i make a bge turkeynfor office, then smoke 3 birds on thurs for thanksgiving, then bbq for college football game on saturday and then on sunday pizza party at az cards jax jag game with the roccbox.....should be a great time!

Oh yeah this weekend i finally will get smobot fired up to test it out....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yes. It's in the garage for the winters. I will take all the precautions when lighting it up--move it away from the wall, open windows for adequate oxygen, have fire extinguisher ready, not leave unattended etc. Will not use wood but gas only when using indoors.  Am excited about my first cook. Have dough ready for Neapolitan pizza in the freeze.
    I would reconsider that. Every propane device I have ever seen says, "for outdoor use only". Including my Blackstone 17. Garages are not outdoors, windows open or not. CO is not good for you.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Will move it outside. Better cold than passed out. Thanks @ CarolinaQ
    Bucks County, PA

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Ha, I would be cold even in the garage. Be interesting to hear about Roccbox performance in the winter. Eggs don't care, I wonder about these pizza cookers.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    Options
    Ha, I would be cold even in the garage. Be interesting to hear about Roccbox performance in the winter. Eggs don't care, I wonder about these pizza cookers.
    I did use uuni in a snowstorm last feb up in mountains.  I was under a gazebo and at 5k elevation i used a hair dryer to stoke pellet fire every 30 mins.  Did get good and hot tho!   Made 12 pies that nite which were really good
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I would reconsider that. Every propane device I have ever seen says, "for outdoor use only". Including my Blackstone 17. Garages are not outdoors, windows open or not. CO is not good for you.
    Yet many millions of people use their gas kitchen stoves indoors daily.

Anyone concerned about using a gas burner Blackstone or Roccbox indoors should just buy a CO detector and keep it nearby just to ease their minds.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Eoin said:

Compared to $599 plus tax it's good. But at £499 it's too much for me. I read their post about having to up the price by £100, quality parts and all that.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Anyone concerned about using a gas burner Blackstone or Roccbox indoors should just buy a CO detector and keep it nearby just to ease their minds.
    Could be. Never really understood the difference between natural gas and propane in that respect. Maybe it's nothing more than the screw on fittings. If I've ever lived in a house with gas stove (propane or NG), I was too young to remember it. I just know that all of the portable propane devices say not to use indoors. And all of the fire safety people as well. Every single one (that I've read anyway). None of them say, "...unless you have a CO detector." CYA? Maybe. 

I have cooked (a few times) on my Mini and Smokey Joe in my fireplace. Figured a fireplace was designed for fire and mine has always drawn well. No CO detector, didn't die. But decided I was tempting fate so I stopped.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Could be. Never really understood the difference between natural gas and propane in that respect. Maybe it's nothing more than the screw on fittings. If I've ever lived in a house with gas stove (propane or NG), I was too young to remember it. I just know that all of the portable propane devices say not to use indoors. And all of the fire safety people as well. Every single one (that I've read anyway). None of them say, "...unless you have a CO detector." CYA? Maybe. 

I have cooked (a few times) on my Mini and Smokey Joe in my fireplace. Figured a fireplace was designed for fire and mine has always drawn well. No CO detector, didn't die. But decided I was tempting fate so I stopped.

The combustion byproducts of natural gas and propane are essentially the same - mostly CO2 and H2O.

Lot of manufacturers put all kinds of warnings on their products. Doesn't mean those concerns aren't valid, they likely are, but they are there in large part due to liability concerns because we all know most people never bother to RTFM anyway.

As long as one understands the risks and takes steps to address the risks (and using a $20 CO detector is a no brainer) occasionally running a gas griddle or Roccbox in your house or garage is far less likely to be a source of your demise than your daily drive to the office.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Well **** now I want one too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Well **** now I want one too. 
    You’ve got a nice new crib. I was expecting to see a Forno Bravo in your future @Jeremiah
  • westernbbq
    Options
    ROCCBOX ARRIVED TODAY.  the only thing i can say is WOW!  Sturdy feeling unit,  it is heavy and all components have the feel of high quality.  Ill see if i can fire it up tomorrow or friday and snap some picta