Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Mercatus Outdoor Fireplace

Options
Anyone heard of these? Not really interested in the cooking capabilities. I just want a nice outdoor fireplace, can't afford a legitimate masonry fireplace, don't want a fire-pit, wouldn't mind a chiminiea but I know it's going to crack at some point in time.
y/http://bbq-fireplace.de/gallery/

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,526
    Options

To answer your specific question-no knowledge.
    I realize you don't want a fire pit-but you may want to look at the cauldrons linked here:  https://www.palletforks.com/titan-outdoors/fire-pits-grates.html?p=2  They have a 29" and 41" rig with cooking grate.  
    Don't know where you are located as that could play into the shipping/delivery costs.  Best of luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    I found an old electric midcentury acorn fireplace on craigslist for $50 and converted it to propane with $50 more of parts and fire stones from Amazon and then powder coated it.  We use it all the time and love it.  It is perfect for our wood deck.   
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    That looks like Darth Vadar.  Super cool!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Built mine out of discontinued color block. Paid pennies on the dollar....9 years ago. It never hurts to ask the stone shop if they have any. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • kjs
    Options
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Built mine out of discontinued color block. Paid pennies on the dollar....9 years ago. It never hurts to ask the stone shop if they have any. 
    Now all you need is the goat ;-)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Take a look at these. http://breeollc.com/
    Pratt, KS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    20stone said:
    Plenty around here.....just not the eating kind.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    Options
    just do this....
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    mtasker said:
    just do this....
    You know you're a redneck when.... :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• kjs
    Options
    Thanks @MattBTI do you have one or have any insight? I am curious to how smokeless a pit like that could be, but if it's as advertised that seems like an option worth considering.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    I've watched some youtube videos of it. I've never experienced one in person however. I would like to buy one when I redo my patio area. 
    Pratt, KS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    Have you actually used a fire pit/chiminea before? Is it something you actually used many times a year? Do you have a cheap supplier of firewood?

If the answers are not a resounding yes then I suggest you just go to your local Home Depot or the like and get a $100-200 metal chiminea and see how much you actually use/enjoy it before dropping bigger bucks on something.

Of the ones I've seen mentioned in this thread that Mercatus you mentioned looks interesting. I've not seen those before and plan to look into those.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    20stone said:
    Plenty around here.....just not the eating kind.
    They're ALL the eating kind. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    bluerooster.com, they make cast aluminum chimineas which so far has not cracked. I move mine all the time and have had it over 5 years and never an issue. Certainly not cheap but i'd imagine a fraction of the price of the ones you are looking at. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    Moleman said:
    bluerooster.com, they make cast aluminum chimineas which so far has not cracked. I move mine all the time and have had it over 5 years and never an issue. Certainly not cheap but i'd imagine a fraction of the price of the ones you are looking at. 
    www.thebluerooster.com
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk