Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili at work.

Options
Sweated some onion, garlic, poblano, and jalapeño. Added a starter kit we offer and threw in leftover brisket and pork. Beans of course. Some crushed tomatoes and H2O. Not bad, but actually too much meat IMO. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I like where this is going
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Do you add any smoke or is the smoke flavor from the meat plenty? 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Do you add any smoke or is the smoke flavor from the meat plenty? 
    I had the lid off for a good while with a little hickory. Idk if it made much difference. The meat does add some smoke profile for sure. You can see for the cooking vessel that it did get some smoke though, so maybe it did work? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    One could approach it as too many beans... ;)  But that looks great.  Just for the staff or a teaser for customers?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Too much meat? No such thing. 

Looks awesome. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Looks great...
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    One could approach it as too many beans... ;)  But that looks great.  Just for the staff or a teaser for customers?  
    In house as we did some projects. Easy peasy. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

ksmyrl said:
    Too much meat? No such thing. 

Looks awesome. 
    Thanks. I think of the pork was chunked instead of pulled I would have been more pleased. It was good though. I would have added more heat too, but it ain’t always about me! Huh???
  • pgprescott
    Options

JNDATHP said:
    Looks great...
    Thanks for the kind comment. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

WeberWho said:
    I like where this is going
    Thanks! It went in my belly. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Could go for a bowl or two of that right now, looks great. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:
    I sprinkled a little Texas Gun Powder in mine to kick it up. Much better. Jalapeño powder is good. Thanks Brandon. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I would love a bowl of that Pete!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    ''Tis the season....love the chili on the egg Pete. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Focker said:
    I sprinkled a little Texas Gun Powder in mine to kick it up. Much better. Jalapeño powder is good. Thanks Brandon. 
    I have some of that in that pantry as well and use it once in awhile. 

Love brisket chili and I like a lot of meat and beans.  I need to make some soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Good lookin' pot of chili there, Pete. Saw this thread and decided to try to salvage some meatloaf. Egged one a couple of days ago, using a recipe I had used before. Not only did it crumble at the slightest touch, even after refrigeration, but it wasn't all that tasty either, hot or cold! Not sure what I did wrong.

So, I just threw the remaining 1 1/4 lb of meatloaf in a pot, added a bunch of chili seasonings, some tomato sauce and chicken stock, one ancho, one chipotle and a fresh habanero (split in half, seeds, membrane and all). 

Gonna let it simmer on the stovetop for a bit. Should be smoky enough as I used some oak when I did the meatloaf. I think I'll add a can of kidney beans too, but will wait a bit. No sense wasting a perfectly good can of beans if this in gonna be lousy. I just sampled it and I think it's gonna work. I'm guessing it'll be better chili than it was meatloaf!

If it's a fail, I will blame you. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Good lookin' pot of chili there, Pete. Saw this thread and decided to try to salvage some meatloaf. Egged one a couple of days ago, using a recipe I had used before. Not only did it crumble at the slightest touch, even after refrigeration, but it wasn't all that tasty either, hot or cold! Not sure what I did wrong.

So, I just threw the remaining 1 1/4 lb of meatloaf in a pot, added a bunch of chili seasonings, some tomato sauce and chicken stock, one ancho, one chipotle and a fresh habanero (split in half, seeds, membrane and all). 

Gonna let it simmer on the stovetop for a bit. Should be smoky enough as I used some oak when I did the meatloaf. I think I'll add a can of kidney beans too, but will wait a bit. No sense wasting a perfectly good can of beans if this in gonna be lousy. I just sampled it and I think it's gonna work. I'm guessing it'll be better chili than it was meatloaf!

Nice audible. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I would love a bowl of that Pete!
    Thank you sir! Weren’t too bad. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

''Tis the season....love the chili on the egg Pete. 
    Yes sir! ‘‘Twas a beautiful day Robin, Thanks!
  • pgprescott
    Options

Focker said:
    I have some of that in that pantry as well and use it once in awhile. 

Love brisket chili and I like a lot of meat and beans.  I need to make some soon.
    Thanks @Ladeback69
  • pgprescott
    Options

Credit it is then! Glad to offer some inspiration. Chili is one of those meals that can work in so many different variations. Thanks for the kind words Michael. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Credit indeed! MUCH better chili than meatloaf! Thanx for the idea!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut