Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please educate me about thermometers

Options
New egger here. One cook under my belt- a Boston butt which came out great. I cooked at 275 degrees and used the formula someone suggested - cooked for 2 hrs per pound. 

Do I need to get a thermometer? I read that the way some of you guys cook is to cook to an internal temp of xxx degrees. So if your meat reaches a certain temp you know it is done? Do you have to let it stay at this temp for a certain amount of time or is it done once it hits this temp?Are there any guidelines for different meats that you need to get the internal temp to? 

I see see that for  some thermometers you stick a pin in the meat and some you leave the probe in the meat and run a wire to a receiver that gives you the temp. Is one type better than the other? Any suggestions on what to buy? How do I find out what temps the particular meat I am cooking needs to get to?

thanks for your help.

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2017
    Options
    First off - welcome.  Hope you are enjoying your egg so far.

Yes you need to get a good instant read thermometer like a Thermapen.  There are many on the market at all range of price.  I cook everything to temp instead of time.  I think you'd find a hand held unit to be more versatile than wired.  
    There are many doneness charts online.  Thermapen actually sends one with their unit.  

Here is one example:
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_temperature_guide.html

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Welcome to the fray. First thing, hours-per-pound formulas are usually not a good way to think about it. Internal temp is important, and while a remote thermometer is handy, and instant read thermometer is truly your friend. With barbecued meats like pork butt, brisket, ribs the internal temperature is just a guide, and they are done when they are tender. The internal temp is usually 185-205 when the tenderness stage is reached, all depending on how much time the meat has been cooking. The longer it cooks, the lower the finished temperature will be when it is tender. But tenderness should be your guide for when to pull it off.

For lean grilled meats (steaks, chicken breast, pork chops, fish) the internal temp is super important. 

Hope it helps!
    Happy cooking
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like this chart and a thermopen for grilling, its just a guide but you can work with it
    https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/meat-doneness-chart/

for low and slows, cook to feel. a wireless can come in handy to know when to start checking it but i havent used one in years. wouldnt see it anyways as im usually sleeping at night then fishing til noon in the boat, no one to watch it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Robusto
    Robusto Posts: 15
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi.  Pork butts are very forgiving and I used to just smoke them till the bone pulled out, but smoking to an internal temp is much better because each butt is different in terms of moisture or fat content, bone size, butt shape, etc which all affect cooking.  I now go to 195 internal, but everyone has their own preferred temp.

For other foods, you will definitely want to "fly by your instruments", especially large hunks of beef where "carry over cooking" comes into play.

For steaks, learn to cook by feel, or pressing on them with your finger.  I just don't like poking a hole in a nice steak...

This is the one I have.  It's pretty reasonable in price and is accurate enough. The remote is a nice feature too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GE77QT0/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I always cook to finish temp. I use time more less as a guideline or reference for future cooks. 

I use a Thermapen instant read thermometer for every cook. It's one of the best if not the best tool in my kitchen. It gets used all the time without any issues. Some might bark at the initial cost but it's worth every penny to me. I've had mine for the last 7 years. So its cost me about a $1/month to own. For a tool that gets used everyday its hard to beat. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I agree with all the instant read thermometer thoughts above.  I have a Thermapen and a Thermopop.  The thermopop is a good bit cheaper and really works just as well.  I however prefer the thermapen.  Remote thermometer is nice for L&S cooks but not required.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I bought a maverick 732 for long cooks to monitor the grill/meat temps.
    all the other cooks I just use the same temp probes I have had for over 20 years using on wood burners. They are not instant but work great. I have a maverick bar-b-chek, and 2 cooper probes. So if you want to spend $'s get the therm. One of my coopers has a nut for adjustment. Cheap models will work fine, but just take a few seconds more to read the temp.
    this is just like my small cooper but a newer model
    https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Atkins-1246-01-1-Thermometer-Adjustment-Temperature/dp/B003DKSHY0/ref=sr_1_14/143-1187281-5677838?ie=UTF8&qid=1506538944&sr=8-14&keywords=cooper+thermometers

my son has a thermapen and loves it. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Another instant read thermo that gets good reviews is from Lavatools. A fraction of the price of the Thermapen, but supposedly as good. I don't have a Lavatools device, so I can't say from experience.

I do have a Thermapen and love it! And customer service from Thermoworks is second to none. BTW, if you decide to buy a Thermoworks product, by it from Thermoworks direct. Same price or lower. Also, no warranty if purchased elsewhere.

As for a remote thermometer like the Maverick, the Smoke, etc, I have a Mav and almost never use it. Works fine, just not needed, IMO. Would not buy again. 

Temp wise, I cook everything to temp. Except pork butts. For those, I don't even pay attention until it gets to 195°. Then I stick a probe in the butt every so often until it meets no resistance. Then it's done. I haven't paid any attention to the actual done temp of a butt in years. All I know is that it's above 195°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Cooking to temp is much more reliable than cooking to time. You may not need a super fast and accurate thermometer, but if some $s is not an issue, go for whatever is the current best.

Note! A good therm is not just useful for Egging, but for all your cooking. My wife never uses the Eggs but will test micro-waved stuff all the time. When doing big family meals, I have an instant read in my back pocket all the time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    For the safety of you and your family and guests, use a thermometer every time. Buy a Thermopop thermometer. They are at a great price point, illuminated and very fast to read. A leave in thermometer is more of a luxury item and not a necessity like a standard probe. It just allows you to monitor the temp rather than checking on the food. They are generally only used on longer lower temp cooks with big hunks of protein. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options

All good advice above. Learning to cook to temp not time is a critical jump, and sometimes hard to do. I remember my dad checking his watch every 5 seconds or so while he was grilling, so cooking to time was ingrained in me from the very beginning.

As to some of your other questions, on a hot and fast cook, take the meat off when it reaches your desired internal temp. Leaving it on longer only makes it cook more. Depending on the thickness of your protein and how hot your fire is, you will get some carryover cooking, so pull your steaks off a few degrees lower than you want. There's not really a science to that, just experience.

An instant read thermometer is one of the best investments you can make for your cooking. I've got a Thermopen in orange, the best color.

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Somehow I expected @SGH to have posted about rectal thermometers. It want be long now.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BikerBob
    Options
    I like to push the thermometer in my low and slow butts. If it slides in easily the meat is done. I forget to check the temp last cook. It was over 190 I'm certain.
    Bob

Cooking on the coast
  • Bch78
    Bch78 Posts: 19
    Options
    Tappeque works great!
    4 probes and wifi to an app 
    http://www.tappecue.com/
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Temperature not time is the best advice here but for many cooks the finish-line is the feel and temp is only a guide as to when you may want to starting checking for the 'feels like buttah" outcome.  For me  the large protein low& slow cooks and all rib cooks are in the feel category .  I'm sure there are others but the evening is getting a bit clouded now. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dlahood
    Options
    Hi,  I am in the same boat as RandyC, need to get educated on thermometers.  Thanks to the wisdom shared above.  So it sounds like Thermopen is a solid quick read one to get, what is the top 1 or 2 that you all recommend for low and slow, leave in probes?  Thanks!
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @Dlahood I highly recomend the chef alarm from thermoworks for a leave in probe with a readout to get close to temp then use a thermapen to finish.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter