Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cryovac date question ?

Options
I bought a full packer brisket at costco last weekend, with a sell by date of 8-16-17. How long can I keep it in the fridge before cooking? Will it hold to labor day weekend ?
LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
Buford,Ga.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Weeks.  You are fine.  It's called wet aging.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Thanks
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Enjoy brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Then, when you take it out of the cryovac you can dry age it for 30 or 45 days more! That sell by date has meant more wasted perfectly good meat than should happen! Guess I should further explain myself - I don't mean ground meat like hamburger however! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:
    Then, when you take it out of the cryovac you can dry age it for 30 or 45 days more! That sell by date has meant more wasted perfectly good meat than should happen! Guess I should further explain myself - I don't mean ground meat like hamburger however! 
    Brisket doesn't dry age well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    DMW said:
    RRP said:
    Really?  I would love to hear about your science experiment....
    Options
    DMW said:
    RRP said:
    Really?  I would love to hear about your science experiment....

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Just smoked a Costco cryovac'd packer a full eight weeks after its sell-by date. 

Was easily the best brisket I've ever done. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Just smoked a Costco cryovac'd packer a full eight weeks after its sell-by date. 

In the fridge the whole time?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lkapigian said:

In the fridge the whole time?
    Yup. It was the first brisket I've done that still featured a really healthy giggle even after cooking. 

Like I said to my guests, "either it will be the greatest brisket you have ever tasted, or you will be hospitalized; perhaps both."

Give it a go.