Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just some wangz

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Decided yesterday I wanted wings today. Last night I remembered that I forgot to get wings out to thaw. So, I tossed a couple packs of Costco wings in the sink for about an hour. That was long enough to get them separated and back in the fridge to thaw overnight.

Got the XL setup indirect with a grid raised up in the dome around 275*-300*. 

My Little Guy and SWMBO aren't all that fond of spice, so I prepped some with low-heat rubs. I used up the last of my Raging River and needed a bit more rub to give them a decent coat, so added in some of @Mickey's coffee rub.

The rest of them got Code 3 Spices Sea Dog Cajun rub.

When they were cooked through, but not quite done, I dunked the spicy wings in a Buffalo sauce I made:

And the results.
Wimpy wings:

Well, they must have been good, because my Little Guy had 5 and SWMBO had the other 4...

And now the real ones. I decided I needed to up my presentation and did up a lettuce bed for them. In reality, the lettuce was almost at the use it or lose it stage.

And here's my plate. Since I don't already have enough butter and hot sauce in my life, I poured a bit of the extra Buffalo sauce over.

They were good, I liked them.

I know you can cook wings around 400* in about an hour, but I like to run a bit lower. Took about 1.5 hours, and I think it renders them a bit better. Could be my imagination, lots of things are...
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great practice run for National Chicken Wing Day July 29th.  I would inhale those (but not the accessorized lettuce).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    nice job @DMW as usual you nailed it
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I want your plate, but now it is gone, and I am sad.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I want!  Extra sauce for the win.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    As always...great looking flappers !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Rain spoiled my wing cook tonight....living vicaresly through yours....burger night at the local joint....makin du. I could knock back a large amount of those beautiful wangs though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome. It has been proven you cannot have too much butter and hot sauce. Our wives may not like it but too bad. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wangs are my weakness... dang they look good
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those are on point. We're birds of a feather - I too have a dearth of butter and hot sauce in my life. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I love wangz!

Johns Creek, Georgia