Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready for a pig pickin'

Options
pescadorzih
pescadorzih Posts: 926
Picked up a 75-80# pig to cook for a friends family reunion/Memorial Day picnic.
The pig is currently on ice. I will post up pictures when I get it ready for the pit.
Here are a couple of pics of the pit. It was rented from the farmer who supplies the pigs.
Picnic is on Sunday.  So will be starting the pig early Sunday morning. 
SE PA
XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Nice...pull that thing off the ice early and let it ride up a bit...save some hours. What's your cook plan?...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I figured I'd get it out around midnight to take the chill off. 
    It should take around 8-10 hrs to cook. So, will be starting around 3 or so. Just shooting to be done around noon. Wrap in heavy foil and deliver, as I am not doing it on site.
    Going to try to keep the temp at 250 for most of the cook. I can always bump it up if not getting done soon enough.
    SE PA
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I figured I'd get it out around midnight to take the chill off. 
    It should take around 8-10 hrs to cook. So, will be starting around 3 or so. Just shooting to be done around noon. Wrap in heavy foil and deliver, as I am not doing it on site.
    Going to try to keep the temp at 250 for most of the cook. I can always bump it up if not getting done soon enough.
    Sounds like a plan-looking forward to the progress..I tend to start mine hotter then slow them down if it is rushing to the finish-every cook is different. Enjoy the ride
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Keep us posted on progress... sounds like good eats for the folks!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Just got it prepped and seasoned. Back on ice until time to put on pit.

SE PA
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Very Nice, any injection ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    No injection. 

SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Pig is on.

SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    The pit has pull out drawers for the charcoal.
    I lit it at each end to get heat on the shoulders and hams first.
    Apple and cherry for smoke.

Gonna wait for it to stabilize and then back to bed.
    SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    Options

Looking good so far. Just wrapped the ears and snout.
    SE PA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks great so far
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Threw some garlic sausage and pepper and onion sausage from our locsl butcher on the pit. Figured what the hell. 
    SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Bumped the heat up a bit to push it home. Shoulders are almost there.  Hams are about 10* behind.
    SE PA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Pig was done at noon.
    Delivered to the party a little after 1.
    Didn't pull until 2:30. It turned out good. Nice and moist. The sausages I put on got overcooked when I bumped the heat to push the temps on the hams. I should've paid more attention to them.
    The pig was very well received.
    Everyone was asking what I'm doing next year to top this.
    SE PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Whole hog is always an impressive cook, nice job. Out of curiosity, how did you transport it to the final destination?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @pescadorzih - just checked out this thread.  Dang- you definitely nailed it across the board.    Obviously not your first rodeo.  Congrats.  Rewind for next year.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    @DMW, I just covered in foil and there were still some coals left on the drawers. Drive was 45 minutes.  I just pulled the drawers out when I arrived on site. 
    SE PA
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Nice job with the oinker !Trying not to imagine what could go wrong taking a 45 minute drive with a box full of fire...

• pescadorzih
    Options
    There were only a few hot coals left inside and I had plugged the air inlets.
    Probably was holding about as many coals as a MM would hold.
    SE PA