Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking and Stoking With The Mini - Beef Short Ribs

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
I found some beef short ribs on clearance this weekend. This was my first time smoking shorties. I decided to go with the mini as I picked up a plater setter on the cheap a few months ago and haven't really tested it out on any longer cooks. 

When removing the Stoker from my large I got to wondering if I could somehow adapt it over to the mini. I thought to myself, "Could it possibly fit the vent without the adapter plate? It's going to be close..." With a little luck it ended up almost a perfect fit. Yes I realize a Stoker hooked up to a Mini is overkill but I figured why not give it a try. 

It appeared to be a good seal on the lower vent. The temp didn't seem to fluctuate too much.

After 4-5 hours they were ready to come off the mini 

Plated pic:

Always nice to try something new and different from the norm. Thanks for looking

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That's awesome! Great looking eats too.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Yum!!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great adaptation and result right there.  That mini must be stingy with burning fuel.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Strong work man.  Mighty tasty looking grub!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    That's awesome! Great looking eats too.
    Thanks minniemoh 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Yum!!
    Thanks cookbook_chip

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great adaptation and result right there.  That mini must be stingy with burning fuel.
    Thanks lousubcap. I should have looked to see how much lump I had left. Rockwood seems to do a nice job with longer smokes

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Strong work man.  Mighty tasty looking grub!
    Much appreciated bgebrent 

Minnesota
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Love it.  Excellent idea and execution, looks great.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• WeberWho
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Love it.  Excellent idea and execution, looks great.
    Thanks much YemTrey

Minnesota
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Brother Weber they look awesome... I have got to do some
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    I gotta get a mini , they are the coolest 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Love this cook, and rigging the stoker-sweet!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Brother Weber they look awesome... I have got to do some
    Thank you Johnny Tarheel. Go for it!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    They are a fun little cooker for the right price

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Love this cook, and rigging the stoker-sweet!
    Haha thanks chuckytheegghead 

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Shawtys look damn good!  When the Stoker ramped did the Mini's lid lift up like a Jack in the Box? :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    They are a fun little cooker for the right price

I don't remember what the price was in Canada but I remember it being too high . Do they do demos on 
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    Demos at egg fest ?
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    lol pretty cool adaptation.   but doesn't the fan have to be oriented downward in order for the flap to function properly?   i guess it still worked fine for you.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Shawtys look damn good!  When the Stoker ramped did the Mini's lid lift up like a Jack in the Box? :lol:
    Thanks NPHuskerFL  Now if I only can custom fit a tractor rain cap flapper for the exhaust for the Stoker and Mini!  ;)

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Demos at egg fest ?
    I think you can pick up Mini's at most Eggfests. If they don't carry them at the Eggfest, the dealer could probably order you one that day on a discount. I bought mine new off Craigslist for $100. Don't think I'd pay too much more for one. They are a fun little grill but at $400 U.S dollars there are better options out there. Just my opinion though 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    odie91 said:
    lol pretty cool adaptation.   but doesn't the fan have to be oriented downward in order for the flap to function properly?   i guess it still worked fine for you.
    Thanks odie91 I didn't even notice the fan was upside down. It stayed pretty consistent throughout the cook. The temp did raise 20-25 degrees a few different times during the cook. I just figured it was picking up different wood chunks in the lump as the fire lowered. 

Minnesota
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Demos at egg fest ?
    I think you can pick up Mini's at most Eggfests. If they don't carry them at the Eggfest, the dealer could probably order you one that day on a discount. I bought mine new off Craigslist for $100. Don't think I'd pay too much more for one. They are a fun little grill but at $400 U.S dollars there are better options out there. Just my opinion though 
    I found one once of kijiii for 400 bnib but seller wouldn't budge . I wouldn't use it much but it would be fun to have for 200 or less 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Little nuggets of heaven!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    Options
    Little nuggets of heaven!
    Not a bad little meal for $6

Minnesota
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Food looks good. Thought about getting a fan to fit my KJ. It's just so convenient running it with the Stoker. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great piece of cooking engineering right there.
    Beautiful results from a very tasty cook. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    Looks really good.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Food looks good. Thought about getting a fan to fit my KJ. It's just so convenient running it with the Stoker. 
    Thanks Toxarch. Have to love convenient 

Minnesota