Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Smoke advice - Pork Shoulder & 12lb Full Packer Brisket on XLBGE w/ Adjustable Rig.

Options

Hey all.. did some research from previous posts but wanted to post it up again to get your all thoughts… I’m throwing a small party for about 20 people.  I wanted two type of meat so I already have a 12lb (untrimmed) packer brisket and planning on buying a bone in shoulder for pulled pork.  The go time for food will be between 4-5pm.  I have a XLBGE, adjustable rig, and Cyber Q…

My questions…

1. Who’s on top?
  2. What size shoulder should I get to make my smoking easier (timing).  I don’t mind having extra as I can vac seal and hand out as favors, lol…
  3. Really concerned about timing on both, when to pop the pork on vs. brisket.  I know I the FTC the pork for hours assuming I can do same w/ Brisket.  (I don’t have that much brisket experience)… Which is why I’m concerned about getting the temps right for go time..

Leaning toward Pork on top, and 250* cook.

Any and all help or advice from some folks that have perfected this would be greatly appreciated!

Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    The go time isn't the driver here-the finish-line time will determine the deal.  If you run at around 250-270*F on the calibrated dome then you can figure around 1.25 hrs/lb for the cow and about the same or a bit longer for the pig. Disclaimer- the cow and the pig drive the cook to the finish-line. Both do well with the FTC with the brisket seemingly to enjoy it more. So use that for your planning/cooking advantage.
    I would go with brisket on top for nothing else than it needs more attention to nail the finish-line.  No "perfected this" here but plenty of eggsperience on the how to's.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Pork on top because pork fat rules :) that's the only way I've done it.... 

Unfortunately they're done when they're done. I've had 8lb butts take 12-16 hours to hit temp 

You have a challenge ahead of you if your trying to nail finish temps at the same time 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• PatBateman
    Options
    Please post results!
  • nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    Options
    Thanks good info... Yea, I'm definitely trying to nail finish temps at/around same time.

@lousubcap so if the pig will/may take slightly longer, I should undercut the weight of the shoulder a little vs. the packer.

I'll take pics and post results, I keep a notebook :)
    Northern Jersey
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @nutshellml - you should forget about nailing the finish-line at the same time with the brisket and butt.  As above, ( copied here-"Both do well with the FTC with the brisket seemingly to enjoy it more. So use that for your planning/cooking advantage.")  BTW- brisket improves with a FTC and it won't hurt the butt.  Use the FTC to manage the cook-time to get to where you want to serve the food.  There is no way you can time the finish-line as close as you appear to want it. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Gotcha, misread... I guess nailing the finish time is not feasible, but trying to get close would obviously be goal, that said, if what you mentioned 1.25hrs/lb for each at about 250* I should try to calculate that way, and like you mentioned, if one finishes up real early just FTC or if I wake up in AM and they are going strong lower temp a little....
    Northern Jersey
  • InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    Options
    Bumping for interest
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I did 2 butts and a brisket side x side on the XL. The Costco prime brisket cooks a little faster than the butts, but like they mention above, who cares, stick in the cooler and they will be fine. Good luck
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    So I can show up around 4? ;)

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you can fit them side by side I would do that. I would think it shouldn't be a problem on the XL. 

As others stated brisket loves FTC so no concern there.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nutshellml
    Options
    @Smokin_Trout
    @SmokeyPitt
    you think I can fit all that on one grid on the XL?  12lb full packer and also a shoulder?  wouldn't the edges hang over the "indirect" ceramic plate?

Yea, cooler will be my friend Saturday... I'm pulling trigger on 11lb pork shoulder.  
    Northern Jersey
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Another question - what type of Smoke would you all reocmmend for this double smoke?
    Northern Jersey
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I'd smoke with hickory or pecan, maybe with a cherry chunk or two. I don't like oak with pork. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    @Smokin_Trout
    @SmokeyPitt
    you think I can fit all that on one grid on the XL?  12lb full packer and also a shoulder?  wouldn't the edges hang over the "indirect" ceramic plate?

Yea, cooler will be my friend Saturday... I'm pulling trigger on 11lb pork shoulder.  
    Yes, the edges will hang over the protection of the platesetter. Use a little foil to help out. I have put a 15lb packer and two 8lb butts on one level. Tight, but it works. I think it's better than beef that tastes like pork or pork that tastes like beef. 
    I don't like anything sweet with beef, so I stick to hickory for both. I have never used pecan, but wouldn't shy away from it. 
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    If space is going to be an issue you might try standing the butts on end, or put one of of your proteins on the lower grid to one side and the other protein on the raised grid on the other side.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I have an Xl as well and would think both could go on one level. Pics please!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TXSamIam
    TXSamIam Posts: 32
    Options
    New to the forum and a BGE rookie but have been smoking brisket and pork in a traditional smoker with an offset fire box for 20+ years.  I never worry much about making sure the 2 meats finish together.  I usually FTC my brisket and do a 2-3 hour rest before serving anyway and that will usually allow extra time for a stall in the pork, unless I end up with a really stubborn shoulder/butt.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Not sure why we don't don't do this sooner. 15+lb packer with two 8lb boneless butts. 
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    I am trying to figure out (dumb question) what does FTC mean?
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Wrap in foil, wrap in towel and stick in small cooler to keep warm
  • nutshellml
    Options
    @Smokin_Trout
    Awesome, two days and I'll give it a try.  Question:
    1 - how many people did that feed?
    2 - do you rem start and approx finish times?

Do you think I'm better off w/ two smaller (7-8lb butts) vs a 10-11lb?  My packer is 12.4lb untrimmed.
    Northern Jersey
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Honestly I don't remember cook times. 
    You can count on about half the raw weight before trimming for your finish weight. How many people that feeds, lots of variables to that. 
    Sorry I don't have more help. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    You will have plenty of food for 20. Depending on your temp figure 1hr 30 min per lb at 250 dome.
  • nutshellml
    Options
    @Smokin_Trout THANKS!
    @dstearn Thank you, gives me an idea of start time...

I'll take some pics and post results (good or bad ;)

Northern Jersey
  • nutshellml
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So it begins... 10:30 meat on... Fat side up (yes, Butt is bare, butcher butchered it, next time I do it myself)

@Smokin_Trout Fit perfectly on same grid, I put some foil toward the back to cover the point...

Northern Jersey
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Question... I noticed the flat is already up to about 90*... I tried to get it some where in the middle of the end of the flat and the point to get a middle of the road reading... will this cook significantly quicker?
    Northern Jersey
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Don't worry about the temp in the point. That portion is really just along for the ride. It has a much higher fat content and will read higher temps quickly. The thickest part of the flat is where you want to check temp. That is the part you want to get tender. Not sure what time you posted your question but you have a pretty long ride ahead.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Ok. You should be done- where are the final result pics?
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Ok, 9:30am, I'm going for the foil, I lowered the temp to 225, meat looks amazing, see below, Point @ 177*, Flat 168*, Butt 171*.
    Northern Jersey
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Ahhh the feast is near! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300