Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High-que Basket vs Kick Ash Basket??

Options
I'm a fan of the High-que charcoal grate for my Mini-Max, in fact, it's the only way to get enough air flow to do a nice sear and cook on steaks. Now, I'm interested in getting one for my XLBGE.  So, while on the High-que site, I see that they have a lump basket that has panels to effectively create "zoned" cooking. They also demo the ability to shake the ash out...

This appears to offer more "amenities" than the KAB.... anyone have an opinion on which to invest in?
Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    can't get that "new" one to open - can you post a link? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0Xi2cDaIE

I couldn't get the link in the high-que site to open either, so I did a search on you tube.  
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • RRP
    Options
    Looks remarkably similar to the one SmokeWare has been selling for some time now. How does the price compare?
    https://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/fire-basket
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks remarkably similar to the one SmokeWare has been selling for some time now. How does the price compare?

You're right! I didn't know about these :)  I don't know about price comparison, because I can't get the high-que page to load... But, I'm gonna check out the one in the link you gave.  

Do you have one?  Do you like it? 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    RRP said:
    That's the same thing as what she is talking about. Smokeware sells the hi-que basket on their site, not their own product.
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    @Eggcelsior
    I just noticed that!  They have the high-que label on it :D
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    IF anyone has the KAB or the high-que basket, or something similar, I'd like to hear opinions...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have used both.  I prefer the basket on the hi-que and overall seems better made.

The dual zone works and the dividers are well made, but you would do better raising/lowering your grate for more temp control.

The price is substantially more for the hi-que.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    I say save your money and buy something else for the XL. It has great airflow with the stock grate because it is so large. I'd only consider upgrading when the stock grate fails outside of the 5yr warranty  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Just saw its for an XL .... I just use my stock grate on the XL.  It has tremendous airflow and is super easy to control stock.  No need to mess with it.  Plus, the ash area is so huge if you use quality lump you only have to clean it every 3 or 4 bags.  Its a true stir and light setup.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0Xi2cDaIE

I couldn't get the link in the high-que site to open either, so I did a search on you tube.  
    I think that's the same guy trying to sell an $1,100 griddle???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I have both the highque and the Kickash baskets and while the divider is a nice added function, the reality is the grate height does better at temp control then the divider does (on a large egg). I was not happy with the airflow on the High-que and now only use the kickash baskets
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I will save you from choosing. The High-Que basket is not made for the BGE XL.
    With XL, kick ash also recommends keeping the standard grate IN PLACE, so it will not increase your airflow. That said, I have one just for ease of cleaning and it works great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help!  I guess I didn't realize there wasn't a high-que basket for my XL... I like the ease of cleaning idea with the KAB.

Thanks again for the feedback! 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    For those of you with KAB, how many have the stainless and how many non-stainless? I am trying to decide which to go with or to go with the Fishbones grate.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I have a KAB in my medium and MM.  My XL has good airflow and tons of space for ash.  I just stir it and rarely clean ash out and never saw the need for a KAB.  My other two get regular cleaning.
  • RRP
    Options
    I have a KAB in my medium and MM.  My XL has good airflow and tons of space for ash.  I just stir it and rarely clean ash out and never saw the need for a KAB.  My other two get regular cleaning.
    I just sent ye ol' dad an email. He still kicking??? Hopefully he isn't still wandering around the desert out there in search of the freezer of Illinois beef you swiped from him in his move to AZ!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'd try the high que.... the grates in my eggs show a little rust.

my KAB in the MM is nothing but rust,,,,

good luck
    Seattle, WA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I say save your money and buy something else for the XL. It has great airflow with the stock grate because it is so large. I'd only consider upgrading when the stock grate fails outside of the 5yr warranty  
    This is correct.  And I was gifted a KAB for my XL.  Love it in my L and MM.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Wow, just read whole thread.  I already responded once.  At least I'm consistent.

RRP said:
    I just sent ye ol' dad an email. He still kicking??? Hopefully he isn't still wandering around the desert out there in search of the freezer of Illinois beef you swiped from him in his move to AZ!
    And yup @Jeepster47 is still kicking.  He doesn't want to bring grills in his fancy new driveway or patio, for fear of staining them.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Wow, just read whole thread.  I already responded once.  At least I'm consistent.

RRP said:
    And yup @Jeepster47 is still kicking.  He doesn't want to bring grills in his fancy new driveway or patio, for fear of staining them.
    The last we heard, he was eye to eye with a monster rattlesnake. Since we haven't heard from him, I was beginning to wonder if the snake won. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Snakes are people too.
  • RRP
    Options

RRP said:
    In all seriousness...I just discovered a product which according to even third party sources will remove oil, grease etc off concrete, asphalt etc by using environmentally friendly "things" which gobble up the spills. I'll tell you more if you are interested.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:

RRP said:
    In all seriousness...I just discovered a product which according to even third party sources will remove oil, grease etc off concrete, asphalt etc by using environmentally friendly "things" which gobble up the spills. I'll tell you more if you are interested.  
    Cool, shot me a PM with the info.  My dad had a jeep leak some oil in his new garage.  We couldn't get it cleaned all the way.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @RRP @Ozzie_Isaac

Pressure washing, solvents, sorcery....almost none of these solutions remove oil stains from concrete.  Unless it is sealed. The surface oil is easily removed, problem is, concrete is porous.  Most techniques just push the oil further into the concrete where it weeps out for eons.

Behold - a solution that works.  Heed this:

Go buy some diatomaceous earth and TSP.  Mix it up with water into a paste.  Apply to stain.  Let it sit there until the stain is gone.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garage/removing-oil-paint-and-other-concrete-stains/view-all

Options
    @RRP @Ozzie_Isaac

Pressure washing, solvents, sorcery....almost none of these solutions remove oil stains from concrete.  Unless it is sealed. The surface oil is easily removed, problem is, concrete is porous.  Most techniques just push the oil further into the concrete where it weeps out for eons.

Go buy some diatomaceous earth and TSP.  Mix it up with water into a paste.  Apply to stain.  Let it sit there until the stain is gone.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garage/removing-oil-paint-and-other-concrete-stains/view-all

Heretic!!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @RRP @Ozzie_Isaac

I should just call BP.  They cleaned up the gulf so well.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @RRP @Ozzie_Isaac

You can't afford that.  Especially considering your Bitcoin bid on the Chimnea.  Whoa boy, whoa.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @RRP @Ozzie_Isaac

True, problem is your dad won't be able to use his garage or patio for two years.
    Options
    Lawrenceville, GA