Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post. First Tri Tip shown step by step.

Options
Iminib
Iminib Posts: 1
1/ 1.8 lbs Tri Tip

1.a/ Opposite side. 

2/ Salt TT then back in fridge while starting egg, indirect @350 for reverse sear.  

3/Remove TT from fridge and add heavy garlic salt, paprika, fresh pepper and rub into meat.

4/ Add beef for first phase of reverse sear for approx 30 min until 110 internal. 

5/ Remove meat and deflector and raise temp to 600+ with couple large red oak splits added on top of lump. When hot but above 650 dome, return meat and flip around grid for about 7 minutes. 

6/ Remove and verify internal temp

7/ rest for ~ 10

8/ slice at 3/8 to 1/2" across grain and dredge slices through juice 

Many thanks to the members of this forum from whom I have learned so much.  This is my first post and an attempt to give back to benefit those with a similar learning style. 

I thought the tri tip was one of the more flavorful cuts I have tasted. It was slightly chewey but in a good way and the beef taste was pronounced.  

This approach was straightforward and the only improvisation was adding large oak hunks prior to final sear. Has anyone tried something like adding wood like this for searing?

Comments