Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Seeking San Diego suggestions

Options
Our family will be making its first trip to San Diego for a few days. Not expecting to find any great BBQ, but my daughter is in the midst of an extended taco phase, and given the number of choices in that area, I'd love to hear suggestions on what spots to hit. Any other dining tips (or suggestions on whatever) would be appreciated, too.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    The Microbrewery scene is second to none.  Every corner has great options.

I just went here- http://www.stonebrewing.com/visit/bistros/escondido Beer was great food was so so.

Dont knock the Mashed Potato Pizza to be found here http://www.barbasic.com

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Actually Phil's BBQ is excellent. Well worth the trip. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    The Microbrewery scene is second to none.
    Uhhhhhh yeah it is.   Second to Grand Rapids MI!

Just messing around....

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Blue water grill for fish tacos- guys that started the business are fishermen and it's also a fish market. 

Hodads is a local burger spot that's solid. Go to the original beach location. 

bunch of good spots in the gas lamp. 

Great town- you will have a blast. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Where are you staying?
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    There are soooo many good taco shops in San Diego. Got absolutely spoiled with Mexican food there. Don't overlook the mom and pop taqueria's. Ask around. Carne asada burrito's were my favorite, but you can go with carne asada tacos, chips, fries. Trying to remember a few, Adalberto's, Roberto's, Las Colimas, these are all small informal places with great food. I overlooked fish taco's for the longest time and that was a big mistake. They are delicious. Rubio's Fish Tacos are everywhere out there.  Also if you've never had an In-N-Out burger, that is a must!  Double Double with everything! 

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Legume
    Options
    Robertos carne asada burrito at the one in Del Mar, sit on the deck.

Roberto's Mexican Food
    2206 Carmel Valley Rd, Del Mar, CA 92014
    (858) 436-7189
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    San Diego has become a family favorite vacation spot. So many great places. Fish Tacos are everywhere and mostly all pretty good. Hodads is supposed to be really good, but I refuse to wait in lines longer than 5 minutes. Coronado Brewing Company (on Coronado Island) was really good the last time we went. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Legume said:
    Where are you staying?
    Catamaran Resort, Mission Bay.

Thanks very much for all the tips so far.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Been awhile since San Diego (best weather of any mainland USA city, BTW) but while a bit touristy, the Old Town Mexican Cafe (located in Old Town...duh) served great margaritas, home-made on site tortillas and the carnitas were the best dish on the menu.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Options
    It's touristy, but rocking Baja lobster serves a huge bucket of flash fried slipper tail lobster that's pretty amazing with a bucket of beers.  They're in gaslamp and old town.

If you like a fish market atmosphere and love smoked fish, then lookup Point Loma seafood.  Again, kinda touristy but it's a working fish market right on the harbor and they must have at least 10 types of smoked fish and tons of fresh.  Meals are really good.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Pretty jealous.  Just yesterday I was checking flights for the wife, daughter and I.  Flights are very reasonable, but finding a place to stay for a week is $$$$.  As soon as I get back there, I'm heading straight to Pizza Port Solana Beach and drinking the day away.  Enjoy!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Legume
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Pretty jealous.  Just yesterday I was checking flights for the wife, daughter and I.  Flights are very reasonable, but finding a place to stay for a week is $$$$.  As soon as I get back there, I'm heading straight to Pizza Port Solana Beach and drinking the day away.  Enjoy!
    Yesssss.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited March 2017
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    The Microbrewery scene is second to none.
    Uhhhhhh yeah it is.   Second to Grand Rapids MI!

Just messing around....

@kl8ton   You going to any of the KBS tappings this week around Grand Rapids?  Would love to be in the area this week.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I was just at Solana and Cardiff.  Really pretty area and would love to camp there.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    After reading this, I booked a camp site right on the beach for April. Thanks for the push!
    Las Vegas, NV

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Good friend who we competed with for several years has a nice BBQ house in downtown SD.  Link here- http://www.brazenbbq.com/

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options

There are a lot of great suggestions on this thread.  I've lived in San Diego all my life.  Here are a couple of favorites:

We have some of the best Mexican food here; you can't go wrong with any Albertos/Sergios/Aibertos/Adalbertos/Robertos/or any variation therein.  But if you can make it to Colima's, Lolita's, Lucha Libre, or El Indio, you will be very happy.  Try a carne asada burrito, surf n turf burrito, California burrito, rolled tacos w/guac, or carne asada fries at any of these places.  Authentic street tacos at Tacos el Gordo or Las Cuatro Milpas. 

For more trendy dining there are tons of places in North Park or Little Italy that have great food and good craft beer.  Carnitas Snack Shack, Crack Shack, Blind Lady Alehouse, etc.

Breweries are second to none.  Stone, Green Flash, Alesmith, Ballast Point, etc

Burgers: Hodads, In n Out, but Rocky's is the best

Sushi: Harney sushi in Old Town or Sushi Ota in Pacific Beach is the best.

Lots of great authentic Asian restaurants and ramen and dim sum on Convoy street in Kearny Mesa. 

The BBQ scene is mostly nonexistent here.  Phils puts out decent tasting bbq, but they cook their proteins in an oven and finish them over a grill with some smoke.  And they don't serve spare ribs, only baby backs.  So not sure if this place qualifies as real bbq.

If you're looking for something specific let me know and I will gladly help out.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    If you're there on a Sunday morning, brunch at Hotel Del Coronado is pretty great.  

And it may or may not be your cup of tea, but we had a great day renting bikes from Hotel Del and riding about 15 miles south down the strand to the San Diego National Wildlife Refuge and then to the Tijuana River National Estuarine Research and natural area.  We hit one of the beach piers on the way back for some fish and beer.  

Also, be aware that the Wild Animal Park has a thing where you can go to a private area and watch one of their cheetahs run.  It was pretty cool.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfie51sb
    Options
    Sincere thanks for all of the suggestions. Though my teenage daughter loves tacos, neither she or my wife are seafood fans, so convincing them to dive into the fish-taco pool will be a challenge. But it will be great sampling all of the other options.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Wolfie51sb
    Options
    My family and I are back from San Diego, and it was a great one thanks in part to some of the tips in this thread. I got to thinking that I kind of "owe" it to report our experiences on the chance that it might be helpful to someone else in the future. So, in no specific order:

-- Best "real" meal of the trip was at Asti Restorante in the Gaslight Quarter downtown. Really good Italian food. I had the seafood pasta, which had a whole lobster tail perched on top. Great service. Bill for the three of us was $130 before tip, which included two cocktails.

-- Made one trip to Hotel Del Coronado, for a casual dinner at ENO Pizzeria. Nothing spectacular. Three pizzas, a cheese plate, one cocktail, one iced tea and one soda ran us $120, not including tip. Was thankful we went there only once.

-- Ate once at Oceana Coastal Kitchen, which was at the resort where we stayed. Nice view, average food, below-average service. Highlight of the night was when I asked a server for refills on our water. He left, returned shortly and told us he instructed one of the other servers to refill our glasses. I guess grabbing the pitcher himself and bringing it on the return trip wasn't possible.

-- Hitting the small Mexican joints for tacos and such was a highlight. We visited San Diego State University one day for my daughter, who's in high school, and at the end of the day ate at Trujillo's Taco Shop near campus. Daughter said the chicken tacos were among the best she's ever had. All the food was awesome.

-- Near Mission Beach, our go-to spot was Cotija's Taco Shop, the only place on the entire trip we went to twice. The carne asada was second to none. Little dive located in a strip mall.

-- La Playa Taco Shop was recommended to us, and it was good but not great.

-- One morning we went to Lucky Donuts near Mission Beach. Nothing much to report, EXCEPT, it's worth a trip just to get one of their "burritos" that are stuffed with apple pie filling and topped with a cinnamon-and-butter mixture. Two people can easily split one.

-- Only other breakfast experience was Kono's at the beach. It's a landmark to the locals, and the portions are huge, but otherwise just OK. We went early (7:45 a.m.) and had no wait. Late-morning lines stretch far out the door. That wait wouldn't be worth it to me.

-- Baked Bear is a place where you can get custom-made ice cream sandwiches. Simple idea, I know, but WOW! Always a line, no matter what time of day. Reasonably priced guilty pleasures.

-- We did quite a few touristy things, including a trip to the San Diego Zoo, where I was stunned to walk right in without having my backpack checked. What's up with that? I know California is laid back, but really?

-- Also touristy but a lot of fun was the Segway tour we took of downtown. Lasted a bit less than 2 hours. They provide instruction so you're comfortable taking the Segways onto the streets, and you see quite a few places you might otherwise miss. I think it cost us $90 a person, and that was with a $20 coupon for each of us.

Add all of the above to some surfing, indoor skydiving and a last-minute trip up the road to Disneyland and it was a packed week of fun.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Sounds like a fun week!  Glad y'all had a good time. 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Lives there for 5 years - +1 on Roberto's (California butrito sounds odd, but give it a try, fresh and on the patio at the Del Mar location - yum!) and Hodads. Downtown Hodads has shorter lines than OB, but not the same ambiance. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You have enough tips to put on 20 lbs!. I can only say that you have to visit Old Town, the original San Diego Historic State Park, and right inside the Plaza del Pasado is a great Mexican restaurant, Casa de Reyes. That's where we go for special dinners, and it's in a courtyard surrounded by many lovely tourist shops. Sometimes there's Mexican musical entertainment on a little stage. 

And now on my soapbox about Phil's BBQ, an BBQ abomination if there ever was one. I went to the original hole in the wall when they first opened and it was fun having a BBQ place. Now there are branches in several places with lots of customers who like quantity on their plates. Last time I went purposely to see if it had improved and got ribs, pulled pork, and brisket . The sauce came thickly piled on and it was too strong for me, the meat drier and way below what we get on the BGE. I ended up dumping it all in the garbage can before I left. I'm too spoiled for anything but the best and that makes me a BBQ snob!

Brazen BBQ mentioned earlier is not in downtown San Diego, it's in Hillcrest, quite a bit north of downtown. I've had fantastic food there and really sad food there. That's where the KC BBQ Society held their judge's training and the food they prepared was to die for. I went there again and it was really an off night, I guess. Lots of restaurants in that neighborhood, too. 
    Judy in San Diego
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    We actually went to Phil's BBQ for lunch. I didn't list it because, unlike Judy, I didn't have strong feelings one way or the other. Make no mistake, it thought the food was average. If I lived in San Diego, would I go there? Probably never, but that's mainly because I think I can do better at home. But for a place to have lunch on vacation, when in the mood to try a BBQ place for the first time, I didn't have a problem with the experience. I got a combo of beef ribs and chicken. Both were fine if not memorable. The kitchen did mess up two of our three orders, but then again, if you go 1 for 3 every day in the major leagues, you're an All-Star.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio