Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Age Question

Options
ok, so I've read tons of posts on this subject but apparently I've missed something. I just pulled a CAB Ribeye out of the fridge on day 21. Wanted to start out short time just to see if I liked it our not. Top and ends are very dry but when I flipped it over the bottom was tacky and sticky. The smell was strong and like the actual cow standing in the pasture.  I was under the impression that the entire ribeye would be dry and jerky like. Is the tacky/stickiness ok or is it bad now. Temp help temp around 34-36 every time I checked it. It was on the bottom rack in a garage fridge. Pics in vanilla order. THANKS in advance and calling on @JustineCaseyFeldown @stike and whomever else has experience. 

Beginning Below

Bottom at 21 days = sticky/tacky

End piece

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Not long enough. Go at least 30 days. Setup looks ok.  Maybe more air gap below.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @Raymont Thanks, is it still "safe" to eat even though the bottom is sticky? The other sides were nice and dry.  

NW IA

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I would eat it. Have you cut up into steaks? If no, turn it over and let it go another week or two.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you have paper towels under the rack, pull them out after 2 or 3 days. I'll bet the paper towels impeded air circulation under the roast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @DMW Thanks, I'll remember that for the next go around.  

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @Raymont Yep, cut up and will pull towels and rotate next time. 

NW IA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    is it still "safe" to eat 
    Brother Fanatic, I realize that this question was directed to others, but there happens to be a Meat Aging God sitting right beside me at the moment. He says that it is indeed safe to eat. With that said, it's up to you to decide if he is telling the truth or not ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    DMW said:
    If you have paper towels under the rack, pull them out after 2 or 3 days. I'll bet the paper towels impeded air circulation under the roast.
    What Dwayne said.  Use the paper towels to catch initial drips, but then get that moisture outta there.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

NW IA

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Yep - you should should be good to go assuming there was no unknown rise in temp. I know what you wrote, so you should be good.

While very doubtful, if you get any mold on it, if it is white, you are okay.  If it is any other color, wipe with a vinegar soaked towel if you see it is there one day but was not there the previous.  Again, that is very unlikely - but possible.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.