Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shortribs and Fauxstrami

Options
 hadn't cooked on the Egg for a little while and hadn't posted any new cooks for much longer.  I am overdue.  Here it goes.

I had been desalinating a corned beef brisket flat for a few days with the idea to do some 'strami on Sunday.  While planning that cook, I saw some real nice shortribs at a local market on Saturday.  I had done short ribs once before and loved them, so I figured that there would be plenty of room on the Egg to do both the ribs and 'strami and I wanted to see if I could do it again.  I rubbed down the 'strami to be with the pastrami rub from Raichlen's Sauces, Rubs and Marinades with reduced salt to account for the corned beef.  I rubbed the shortribs with S&P, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, mustard powder and red pepper flakes.

Ribs and fauxstrami went on Sunday morning at around 8:30 with Royal Oak red and several chunks of hickory.  The Egg temp settled at around 285 dome and the ribs were done in about 6 hours.  I wrapped the 'strami in foil at the same time. 

Figuring I again had extra space on the Egg, I seasoned 3 split chicken breasts with my favorite homemade rub, and cubed 3 white potatoes and seasoned with EVOO, Raichlen's Santa Maria tri-tip rub with some extra rosemary.  I put the chicken on the upper grate with the wrapped 'strami; potatoes went on the lower grate to catch the drippings.  Unfortunately, no pics of the chicken and potatoes, but they were both a hit with SWMBO and my son.

After taking the 'strami to about 195, I pulled it and then put it in a gentle steam bath until it probed like butter. 

Results: Loved the shortribs.  These will need to go on the menu when showing off for friends.  I've only sampled the edges on the 'strami so far, but it came out well.  I look forward to some good lunches this week!

Thanks for looking.     

Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
Downingtown, PA
LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks great!   I would tear into both of those if allowed!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That gets 10,000 "Attaboys"
    Thank you for the beautiful presentation and post. Nicely done.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky