Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KJ Firebox Design

i saw a post on Facebook today revealing the new Kamafo Joe re-designed firebox.  The five piece design makes sense and should reduce the number of cracks and breaks.  Replacing one piece should be less costly as well.   I'm wondering if BGE will do something similar?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Smart engineering!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    More edges/corners = more stress points.  

Worth a shot, time will tell.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,704
    bgebrent said:

Not more relief points?  Just a chemist so truly asking.

That too!  So time will tell.....hope it works.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    KJ also announced a new hinge, top vent, and gasket.  
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Looks like they've upped their quality of gasket material as well.  The post I read said KJ worked with the best gasket company in the world for the new design and KJ is debating whether to offer a lifetime warranty.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hawg Fan said:
    Looks like they've upped their quality of gasket material as well.  The post I read said KJ worked with the best gasket company in the world for the new design and KJ is debating whether to offer a lifetime warranty.

That gasket looks sexy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,990
    bgebrent said:

Not more relief points?  Just a chemist so truly asking.
    Seems there are a lot more expansion joints which is good.  I wonder what there layout for warranty is and the projected savings with this redrsign.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,838
    What type of metal is at the top?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I sure do appreciate KJ's spirit of innovation.  I'd sure give them a look, if I was in the market.

Phoenix 
  • Hawg Fan
    @DMW. - Ha! That's the tequila talking.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Btw, I count 7 pieces.  I suspect you assemble it on place.  That will be a pain for cleaning, but neat to see them innovating.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    Hawg Fan said:

That gasket looks sexy.
    You're easily aroused :o
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hawg Fan
    td66snrf said:
    The FB post said the ring was stainless steel.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • DMW
    td66snrf said:
    Stainless steel. And that's what has me wondering. I don't think the expansion rate of SS is the same as ceramic. However, the ceramic pieces have room between each section, so it might be OK. However, I don't really see the need for a metal piece on top of the ceramics. Why not just set the fire ring on top of the fire bowl sections without the SS piece?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    edited January 2017
    td66snrf said:
    If you are asking about the gasket, it's interwoven grapho-glass. 
    Same thing that Rutland is made from. 

Edit: After re-reading your question, I realize that you were asking about the band on the fire box. My mistake. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Hawg Fan said:
    @DMW. - Ha! That's the tequila talking.
    Nope, Evan Williams.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    DMW said:
    td66snrf said:
    Stainless steel. And that's what has me wondering. I don't think the expansion rate of SS is the same as ceramic. However, the ceramic pieces have room between each section, so it might be OK. However, I don't really see the need for a metal piece on top of the ceramics. Why not just set the fire ring on top of the fire bowl sections without the SS piece?
    Keeps the piees from falling back against the base.  Looks like a round firebox bottom and 5 petal leaf pieces held in place by the SS ring.

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    DMW said:
    td66snrf said:
    My understanding is that the metal ring holds the interlocking pieces together.  
  • DMW
    DMW said:
    td66snrf said:
    Keeps the piees from falling back against the base.  Looks like a round firebox bottom and 5 petal leaf pieces held in place by the SS ring.
    bigbadben said:
    DMW said:
    td66snrf said:
    My understanding is that the metal ring holds the interlocking pieces together.  
    Well, my perception skills might not be all that sharp tonight (thanks Evan), so that makes sense.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    I'm guessing they decided not to go with the cast iron fire boxes they had prototypes of a few months ago.

Their new cantilevered hinge is going to be sweet on their Big Joe. Their new vent cap will be nice also. Hopefully all these improvements will be available this summer.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,928
    edited January 2017
    Just thinking out loud here ... wondering if the sides of each petal are slightly concave (at the same height as the hole), thus creating a ventilation gap at each joint, the hole can be eliminated to reduce the chance of cracking around it? 
    canuckland
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    When I add a second egg, which will be quite some time, I will be hard pressed not to put some red in the back yard. 

I really hope BGE starts to come up with some stuff like this as well. They are going to get left behind if they don't start making some changes to their designs that we all buy things to improve upon. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Weight reduction lifting parts for cleanout might be good. Though it would be a little more hassle with more parts. I guess it would drop the price of warranty parts replacing and shipping the one piece. I do like that they ship warranty parts direct to the customer. 
    The gasket looks almost like what is used in kitchen ovens. Looks more like a metal braid than the stuff Rutland uses 
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy red. Already bought a Junior. Is comes with lots of things BGE charges for as optional accessories. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    edited January 2017
    Maybe next they'll design a forum that doesn't suck.
    How many years did it take BGE to take over and run their own forum?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Photo Egg said:
    Maybe next they'll design a forum that doesn't suck.
    How many years did it take BGE to take over and run their own forum?
    Interesting non-sequitur
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited January 2017
    Corner stress isn't the issue. Expansion of ceramic (something not very flexible) across a large field/area (especially curving in two directions) is the real problem. Reduce the size of the piece and lessen the complexity of its shape, and there is less stress

They struck a balance between making the pieces smaller to reduce stress, while not making it too much like a jigsaw puzzle

the one piece fire boxes end up splitting almost exactly like this anyway. They just went with it and made them that way in the first place. Makes good sense actually

My original firebox, and fishlessman's too, split horizontally around the 'equator' and then into pie wedges. And enough pics over the years of other broken fireboxes shown pretty much the same thing. 

just not as cleanly as this obviously. They simply followed the lines where it tends to crack and made a hard joint there. 

This is why sidewalks have cracks. Going to crack, typically across the least dimension. So give it a place to crack (the tooled joint) or make the crack in advance (paving stones, for example).

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,923
    edited January 2017
    Corner stress isn't the issue. Expansion of ceramic (something not very flexible) across a large field/area (especially curving in two directions) is the real problem. Reduce the size of the piece and lessen the complexity of its shape, and there is less stress

They struck a balance between making the pieces smaller to reduce stress, while not making it too much like a jigsaw puzzle

the one piece fire boxes end up splitting almost exactly like this anyway. They just went with it and made them that way in the first place. Makes good sense actually

My original firebox, and fishlessman's too, split horizontally around the 'equator' and then into pie wedges. And enough pics over the years of other broken fireboxes shown pretty much the same thing. 

just not as cleanly as this obviously. They simply followed the lines where it tends to crack and made a hard joint there. 

This is why sidewalks have cracks. Going to crack, typically across the least dimension. So give it a place to crack (the tooled joint) or make the crack in advance (paving stones, for example).

This is largely correct, except in your last paragraph regarding the "least dimension."  In brittle materials, the direction of fractures is largely dictated by the orientation of the maximum tensile principal stress component.

The complexity of the shape also isn't the issue here so much as the constraint provided in the circumferential direction of a contiguous piece.  That's what gives rise to sufficiently large tensile principal stresses under a thermal gradient.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike