Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Thermometer

Options
First, thank you to the forum and the input you all have provided.  I'm a BGE novice (at best) but with all of your help have been successful (at least semi-successful) with a couple beef and pork tenderloins and a butt.  So thank you.... and bear with me as a I learn the lingo...

I'm looking for opinions and feedback on a good meat thermometer, one to leave in the meat while cooking.  I already have a thermapen for instant checks.  In my brief research, I've read about the iGrill2, ThermoPro TP20 & Maverick (732??).  So any specific experience with these or any others ya'll have used; please share.

One specific question, is there a good one out there that works with apple devices?  iGrill has less than stellar feedback on the blue tooth capability... and apparently there are two versions (maybe more), Weber & iDevices?  Or is it best to forget that and stick with a Maverick/ThermoPro wireless function?

Thanks again.

Comments

• PrimoRidgeRanch
    Options
    Maverick has treated me well. It does have a wireless device with an alarm I keep around me with plenty of range. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thermoworks Smoke - about $100 .. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I also would go with the Thermoworks Smoke. It is designed for professional chefs and competition cooks. In my opinion the Maverick is a backyard quality device at best (and I own 2 of them). I now own 12 Thermoworks items and their quality is outstanding.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    You should at least take a look at the Fireboard - https://www.fireboard.com/

It might be more than you want to spend but it also offers a lot more. It works fine on an Apple device.

I've had mine for a bit over a month and absolutely love it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Reddogwood said:
    One specific question, is there a good one out there that works with apple devices?  iGrill has less than stellar feedback on the blue tooth capability... and apparently there are two versions (maybe more), Weber & iDevices? ...

The iDevices and the Weber are the same product.  The iGrill was developed and sold by iDevices.  Early this year they sold the iGrill to Weber. Going forward the product will be Weber.  Any iGrill iDevices product you see are old stock.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Reddogwood
    Options
    Great info. Thank you all
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    All I know about is the Maverick 732, and it has been great for me. Easy to use, pretty foolproof. OTOH, if you want to use it with your phone the Flame Boss 200 is a mighty fine choice. No need to use the fan if you're only interested in temperature, although that would be a pretty expensive thermometer.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I have the igrill2 and it's a solid device. The blue tooth range on it is not as good as advertised but it really hasn't been a problem for me. I like all of the menu options and built in temperature guides. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If wifi/iDevice compatability are a goal, consider the FlameBoss 200. I have one and love it. It may be more than you want to spend, but you also get a temp controller with it. Also, be sure to compare apples to apples (no pun intended) and be sure the other device has wifi, etc. when calculating the cost.

The FlameBoss doesn't have an iPhone app, but their mobile webpage does everything you need it to and when connected to wifi, it will text you with alerts.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If wifi/iDevice compatability are a goal, consider the FlameBoss 200. I have one and love it. It may be more than you want to spend, but you also get a temp controller with it. Also, be sure to compare apples to apples (no pun intended) and be sure the other device has wifi, etc. when calculating the cost.

The FlameBoss doesn't have an iPhone app, but their mobile webpage does everything you need it to and when connected to wifi, it will text you with alerts.
    This will do it all. Won't have to buy other devices. FB 200!
  • Reddogwood
    Options
    Flame boss looks pretty cool, just don't think my ability justifies that kind of equipment yet... thanks for the input.
  • dacolson
    Options
    I've been using Maverick iCHEF ET-735 for 2 months now. Bluetooth works fine. No issues. Stays connected all over the house/yard. 
    MN - Large Egg - Just getting started