Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in prime rib 1.00/lb cheaper then boneless. Worth it?

Options
I hate paying for bones besides chicken wings. I know presentation is better with the bone in.  What say you fine folks.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Sure. You can slice them off after roasting and eat them the next day. You won't regret that. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    I used to self-wrestle every time I wanted beef back ribs. I buy the bone-in beef roasts, remove 'em before cooking the roast, and then collect enough (or pay the same price for straight up beef back ribs) to have a beef rib banquet which currently is on the menu for New's Years Eve.  
    Throughout the year I just bite the bullet and buy the ribs from the local butcher-
    Matters not how you get there-I enjoy the rib meat more than the roast.  Personal preference I'm sure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I might add that even without the advantage of having the bones after, it's worth it for the enhanced flavour

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    I might add that even without the advantage of having the bones after, it's worth it for the enhanced flavour
    I prefer enhanced flavor.  Less vowels makes it better.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bah!  (if you're talking about a standing rib roast).  They're cooked for such a short time at such low temps that "bone juice" (if I may, although you may be thinking of something else) doesn't transport in terms of flavor through the meat (I mean the standing rib roast) as much as you may think. 

If you mean making some consomme, I concur.
    Options
    Cut them off and smoke them separately.  That way you get a juice roast AND smoked beef ribs.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bah!  (if you're talking about a standing rib roast).  They're cooked for such a short time at such low temps that "bone juice" (if I may, although you may be thinking of something else) doesn't transport in terms of flavor through the meat (I mean the standing rib roast) as much as you may think. 

If you mean making some consomme, I concur.
    This. The thinking that the bone itself somehow flavors the meat is another cooking myth that won't die

now. The fat and connective tissue and interstitial meat? THAT is very flavorful

but even then the extra flavor is localized. It isn't travelling into and across the meat or steak. Not to any distance that is perceptible

Evenly highly concentrated cures take multiple days to reach any great depth. If the marrow of the bone could somehow make it through the bone instantly, the 'flavor' (components apparently unspecified) would take a lot longer than cook time to enter and permeate the meat

just enjoy the bones for what they are. Because they are great

but they aren't magic

• herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    My dog says, "Hell Yes!!!!"
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Umm that's cheaper than hamburger dude
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf