Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer head soup

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Well, not exactly. Boiling up a deer skull for a European mount. Should be posting a few venison cooks here in the near future. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @gmac Beetles after this step?  Do you plan on bleaching it as well?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • gmac
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @gmac Beetles after this step?  Do you plan on bleaching it as well?
    Gonna pick it and wash. No access to dermestid beetles here. My friend did a few and had good luck using hydrogen peroxide on paper towels to whiten without getting the antlers. 
    He also boiled with Borax which I will do tomorrow. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Nice.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • gmac
    Options
    This isn't the biggest buck I've ever gotten but it's a nice 8 and I figured this would be a fun project to keep busy over the holidays. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    gmac said:
    Well, not exactly. Boiling up a deer skull for a European mount. Should be posting a few venison cooks here in the near future. 

Das about all that's left when our friend Rodney shoots 'em too. 50 cal belt fed?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    Options
    gmac said:

Das about all that's left when our friend Rodney shoots 'em too. 50 cal belt fed?
    No, i can open the freezer and take a shot for you if you want :)  I love venison. Problem with venison on the BGE is that it just doesn't have the fat needed to go low and slow. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @gmac you could toss in a few crawfish, some corn, a lil sausage and some Cajun seasoning and have yourself a prime dish there.

I have yet to do any venison low and slow on there, but I have had some in the 300's that has been on point. 

I just killed an Axis deer last week and the guide said since it eats more like steak and is a bigger deer that the back steaks are great to reverse sear. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Venison? Some one mention version? Here are 3 right across from me right now resting at a vantage point where they can see danger even far away. The third one is partially hidden between the two trees in the foreground. They have been spooked a couple times within the last hour but have returned both times.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    RRP said:
    Venison? Some one mention version? Here are 3 right across from me right now resting at a vantage point where they can see danger even far away. The third one is partially hidden between the two trees in the foreground. They have been spooked a couple times within the last hour but have returned both times.

Ron did you walk out in those popular shorts you have and scare them off?   ;)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    @gmac I thought about doing that to mine this year. I got a nice not huge 10 pointer. Looked like a LOT of work that i didn't have time for. Keep us posted on process, time and results. I might try to tackle it next week. Looks like I might have time.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    gmac said:
    gmac said:

No, i can open the freezer and take a shot for you if you want :)  I love venison. Problem with venison on the BGE is that it just doesn't have the fat needed to go low and slow. 

Have you tried it sous vide? Just curious I haven't yet, and don't know anyone that has, but I plan to. I was planning on holding it at desired temp for a good amount of time before sear.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @poster try it with a backstrap...then pull it early, roll it in olive oil and seasoning, then kick your Egg up to about 500, roll for char and serve. It really is one of the best ways to cook it and keep any moisture in. 

South of Nashville, TN

• gmac
    Options
    Well first learning is to not boil aggressively. A couple bones have come off. Nothing crazy glue can't fix but I have since learned a long simmer is better than a full boil. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice post.
    Im with @cashfan, would love to see your progress posted.

Brother is getting a shoulder mount, by one of the best taxidermists around.  Beautiful big buck on the wall, but big time monay.

Have been working on finding sheds, and wiring them to my truck grill.  A euro skull DIY would be nice too.  The shed skulls with basket racks I found, weren't big enough.  
    Gave them to a friend who does craft stuff with antlers.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Focker said:

Have been working on finding sheds, and wiring them to my truck grill.  

I've made winter coat zipper pulls with points from sheds. Real easy to grab when you have heavy gloves on. My trouble is I haven't found any sheds for several years now and the best points are those with coloring and character.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

Have been working on finding sheds, and wiring them to my truck grill.  

I've made winter coat zipper pulls with points from sheds. Real easy to grab when you have heavy gloves on. My trouble is I haven't found any sheds for several years now and the best points are those with coloring and character.

Great idea!  Consider it stolen.  Would make great gifts.  I wanted to make egg handles, but they weren't quite there thickness wise.

I was approached by a friend this weekend to hunt their 15 acres of timber, as long as I give them my first deer. They said they would have it processed, but I may do it for them if I get one.  The couple aren't hunters, but they love venison.  A win win!  He showed me a map, trailcam pics this year, at least 3 wall worthy 8 point and up bucks.  Two creeks run through the property.  So, so stoked.  They want me out there now, but told them it's on next year.  I haven't ruled out the ground blind end of season.  We'll see.

Our state may be a clusterfock, but I love our landscape.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    gmac said:
    @Cashfan @Focker After boiling for most of the afternoon here is the progress. I am gonna have to glue a couple small bones back on at the front because I boiled too aggressively . Also need to boil the base of the skull a bit more, some tough cartilage there. 

Looking good!

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Looks Awesome!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I haven't seen anything like that since Dances With Wolves.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Low and Slow will keep the nasal cavity from splitting and the teeth from falling out. (Lesson learned from my prepubescent years and a euro mount over my bed...I still have nightmares)

Rack turned out killer with the density of color. 

South of Nashville, TN

• CountryBoy
    Options
    Funny story from two years ago.... I found a buck that was hit by a car on the property we hunt. Had to get s tag from a conservation officer to keep the horns. It was starting to rot so no meat was salvageable. Any ways I took the head off and was going to give a try at a euro mount! Here's where the fun starts..... fired up the chargriller Akorn and decided to boil it in a big pot. All was fine and dandy till it got way too hot and boiled over! The smell of half rotted deer meat and burnt hair was the absolute nastiest thing I've ever smelled! Lesson learned.dont boil it too hot and never do it in a charcoal grill. Side burner on a gasser and low simmer does the trick. Now we just throw them in a pond over winter with a wire tied to the horns for retrieving in the spring. Pull em out let em dry a few days. A little whitening to the skull and touch up the antlers with some stain and they look great! Takes a while but very little effort!
  • Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Funny story from two years ago.... I found a buck that was hit by a car on the property we hunt. Had to get s tag from a conservation officer to keep the horns. It was starting to rot so no meat was salvageable. Any ways I took the head off and was going to give a try at a euro mount! Here's where the fun starts..... fired up the chargriller Akorn and decided to boil it in a big pot. All was fine and dandy till it got way too hot and boiled over! The smell of half rotted deer meat and burnt hair was the absolute nastiest thing I've ever smelled! Lesson learned.dont boil it too hot and never do it in a charcoal grill. Side burner on a gasser and low simmer does the trick. Now we just throw them in a pond over winter with a wire tied to the horns for retrieving in the spring. Pull em out let em dry a few days. A little whitening to the skull and touch up the antlers with some stain and they look great! Takes a while but very little effort!
    Good stuff.
    I buried mine in the backyard to finish, then dug up a year or so later.  Worked good, they cleaned up nice.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• gmac
    Options
    Any suggestions for what to mount this on as a backing when I get this done?  Was thinking barn board. Have some walnut but will the dark wood overwhelm the antlers?  Tough decisions ahead...
  • Focker
    Options
    gmac said:
    Any suggestions for what to mount this on as a backing when I get this done?  Was thinking barn board. Have some walnut but will the dark wood overwhelm the antlers?  Tough decisions ahead...
    Barn board would look awesome.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my dog finds them already boiled =)

sometimes not

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gmac
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Here we are all picked clean. Gonna start to peroxide tomorrow. Need to do a 1/2 HR simmer with dish soap to degrease and then wrap on paper towel and apply peroxide for a couple days. Will glue the nose bones back tighter as well. 

• gmac
    Options
    @Focker @Cashfan

Well, here is the final result ready to hang as soon as my lovely wife and I agree on where to put it. Her thoughts are a bit different than mine :) 
    I didn't joint the wood or finish it except stain it. Wanted it to look rustic. The flat metal is just decorative but I like it. Took an angled shot too so you could see the screws. Trust me, it's level but the picture makes it look a bit slanted too for some reason. Was a fun project and something to do over the break. 

• Focker
    Options
    gmac said:
    @Focker @Cashfan

Well, here is the final result ready to hang as soon as my lovely wife and I agree on where to put it. Her thoughts are a bit different than mine :) 
    I didn't joint the wood or finish it except stain it. Wanted it to look rustic. The flat metal is just decorative but I like it. Took an angled shot too so you could see the screws. Trust me, it's level but the picture makes it look a bit slanted too for some reason. Was a fun project and something to do over the break. 

Beautiful mount my friend.  Love everything you have done with it.  Really enjoyed your post, and will keep this technique in mind.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities