Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Started

Options
This morning I started my first BGE Butt cook.  Got the XLBGE about a month ago.  Have done most of the normal meat, slow and grilled, but this is the first butt.  A couple interesting observations:

It's 28deg outside.  The calibrated dome thermometer reads 180f, and the grid temp, (w/ a Thermopen Smoke), is 209f.  It's been stable with the meat on for about an hour.  The grid probe is ~2" from the meat, w/ the probe wire carefully routed over a leg of the BGE platesetter.  It's loaded w/ Rockwood charcoal and several chunks of oak and hickory cut from my seasoned firewood.  The bottom air vent is open about the thickness of a cigarette, and the top vent is open about 1/3 of the way.  Rubbed the butt last night w/ mustard and Dizzy Dust.  I covered the platesetter /w foil, but am not using a drip pan.  I know some disagree, but I think the juices dripping/sizzling on a hot surface add some flavor.  I've done it like that on my offset smoker for years.  Maybe one day I'll try a drip pan and see what happens.

There have been several threads lately about the difference between dome and grid temp.  I've learned from the experts that most references refer to the dome temp.  I'm not gonna worry about it.  I'll keep an eye on the grid temp, (just because I can do that from my La-Z-Boy), and figure I'll try to keep it somewhere between 200-250f.  I expect the grid temp to climb a bit as the outside temp rises, the meat temp rises, and the time progresses.  Will be interesting to note how the dome & grid temps relate to each other.  Have the alarm to pull the meat set at 210f.

Y'all think I'm in the ballpark?  Any suggestions?  I'm expecting it to take about 10-12 hours.  Thanks!
Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC

Comments

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sounds pretty good to me. The only temp I really watch when I'm going low and slow is the grid temp. For butts I stay between 225-250. 210 sounds high to me, I always aim for 200-205. I don't know how much difference it will make in the end. I don't use a drip pan, either. Just wrap the plate setter in foil, as well. I'm relatively new to the egg, but everything I've cooked has been outstanding. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • jstewart12a
    Options
    That sounds about right. I've used a drip pan as well as just letting hit the platesetter. Never really noticed a difference. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I think you are in the ballpark. In my experience, the only difference between a butt running at 225 or lower versus 250 is the amount of time to reach doneness.  Others have posted the turbo butts to get them done even faster and report it is just as good.  See how it probes when your internal reaches around 195.   I typically pull mine around 200 but really just splitting hairs.  If the meat has pulled away from the bone and it probes nice in smooth in various spots...wrap and let rest then pull and enjoy.  Let's see finishing shots.  Good luck and ask any questions.   

I will add the outside temperature is irrelevant once the Egg is up and stable.  At least that has been my experience....but then again I mostly use my Stoker.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    It'll be great. Only thing different I do is cook at a higher temp - like 285.  In the low 200s the stall is too long for my attention span. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Skrullb said:For butts I stay between 225-250. 210 sounds high to me, I always aim for 200-205.
    @Skrullb , my family and friends will agree it is no mistake that I have never received an invitation to join Mensa, but your answer has me a bit confused.  Is your "225-250" the dome temp, and "200-205" the grid temp?

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • herbu
    Options
    Here's the thing about doing pork butts: they're probably the most forgiving type of meat you can cook on the BGE.  You almost have to try to screw it up.  It's like brisket anti-matter that way.
    Thanks, John.  That's been my experience on the offset smoker too.  I think some of the lessons I learned over the years on that beast have helped me with the egg.  I can't tell you how many lbs of meat I screwed up on the offset trying to learn, but so far there have been no failures on the egg.  My strongest impression of the egg so far has been how EASY it is compared to the offset.  But I'm still new enough w/ the egg to consider myself a novice, and seek out advice from the experts.  Thanks!

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • herbu
    Options
    It's now been ~2.5 hours.  Temp delta between the dome and grid is shrinking.  Now the dome is 250f and the grid is 215f.  All is good.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    herbu said:
    Skrullb said:For butts I stay between 225-250. 210 sounds high to me, I always aim for 200-205.
    @Skrullb , my family and friends will agree it is no mistake that I have never received an invitation to join Mensa, but your answer has me a bit confused.  Is your "225-250" the dome temp, and "200-205" the grid temp?
    225-250 is my grid temp and 200-205 is meat temp. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • herbu
    Options
    Now a little over 4 hours and the delta continues to shrink.  Dome temp is 250 and grid temp is 224.  Meat is 137.  Smells mighty fine on my porch.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Butts are the secret gateway into all lo and slo's!!  Enjoy the ride.  For myself, I learn more from the longer cooks than the shorter ones, even though the longer ones in most instances are easier!

Remember.....meat temp is a GUIDE to start checking to make sure it is done.  be patient and make sure it probes like butter no matter what the temp is before you pull it!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    herbu said:
    Now a little over 4 hours and the delta continues to shrink.  Dome temp is 250 and grid temp is 224.  Meat is 137.  Smells mighty fine on my porch.
    2 hours a pound is typical at that temp and I pull at 203 or if it's bone in when the bone wiggles free.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • herbu
    Options
    Almost 10 hours and still going.  Dome temp is 280, grid is 231.  Meat is 180.  Doubt I'm gonna have time to let it finish, cool and shred it tonight before bedtime.  (I'm old and go to bed early.)  Guessing it'll be done around 9:00.

I like to shred/pull it while it's warm.  It's easier to feel the fat and take some of it out.  So I guess it's into the fridge tonight and shred tomorrow.  Don't think I should wrap and leave it in a cooler all night.  Agree?

Another thing I might try tonight if there's time.  If I can kind of cut/pull the fat cap off whole, I'm thinking of putting it back on the egg and let the temp come up.  Thinking maybe I can crisp up the fat and chop it up with the meat.  Sort of like chopping up the skin cracklins on a whole hog cook.  Anybody ever tried that?

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • 4Runner
    Options
    I always start mine the night before and adjust the start time and overnight temp based on my serving time. Again, always better to finish early and hold.   Bump up temp as needed to accelerate as needed.  You should be alright. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • herbu
    Options
    Done.  14 hours.  Meat between 200-207 at various points.  Instant read probe feels like pushing into almost nothing.  Think I'll let it sit for about an hour, wrap in foil and put in fridge until tomorrow, then pull/chop.  Pic tomorrow.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • herbu
    Options

OK.  Figured out how to import pics from my phone to my computer.  This is the butt last night after ~14 hours.  Nice crisp bark.  Only pulled off a little chunk to taste before putting in fridge, but I'm liking that Dizzy Dust AND the XLBGE.  Still can't get over how easy it is compared to an offset wood smoker.  Will do the pulling/chopping this morning.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks good from here - I think I would have to toss some in a pan w/eggs if I were you...you know, for quality control, keep the family safe and all.
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Looks good.  What IT did you end up pulling it at?
  • herbu
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Looks good.  What IT did you end up pulling it at?
    Internal temp ranged from ~200 to 207, depending on where I probed.  It was tender and juicy throughout.  However, I separated a little too much fat when I pulled it apart.  It seems just a bit dry when reheated, at least to me.  A little sauce helps, but still...

Also, as much as I like Dizzy Dust, it's not the right rub for Butt BBQ.  It may be the best rub we've tried on chicken, but it just isn't right for traditional BBQ, IMO.  We'll have no problem finishing the butt, but will do something different next time if I'm shooting for BBQ.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC