Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pistachio Shells

Options
I have accumulated a sizable amount of shells. I am going to use them to roast a chicken and some sockeye. Anybody use them for anything other than fish or poultry?

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yes... filler for my garbage can. :) Never thought of using them.

Reminds me of when I bought this house. It was winter and the ground was covered with snow. We are looking at the house and I noticed that the owner was feeding pistachios to his dog. Thought nothing of it. We bought the house, moved in in January and when the snow finally melted in April or May, there were piles of pistachio shells scattered all over the yard. By then, nothing else, just shells. I wouldn't smoke with those. :naughty:

Bon appetit =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Yes... filler for my garbage can. :) Never thought of using them.

Reminds me of when I bought this house. It was winter and the ground was covered with snow. We are looking at the house and I noticed that the owner was feeding pistachios to his dog. Thought nothing of it. We bought the house, moved in in January and when the snow finally melted in April or May, there were piles of pistachio shells scattered all over the yard. By then, nothing else, just shells. I wouldn't smoke with those. :naughty:

Bon appetit =)
    Think I will rinse them. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My buddy saved pecan shells for like a year. Unfortunately some of the meat of the nut was still left in the shelves here and there and went Rancid. The ribs smoked with them were ruined.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Very interesting idea.  Please let us know how it turns out!
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I don't know about that, I am just glad they are not dyed red any longer.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i really miss the red ones =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Don't know, but I've use uncracked hickory nuts with success.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    So far, the comments have been less than encouraging. Think I will stick to to poultry and fish.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    So far, the comments have been less than encouraging. Think I will stick to to poultry and fish.
    only thing ive ever heard to use them for was slugs in the garden. you can smoke them whole with a peppery brine as well, good eats
    fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    only thing ive ever heard to use them for was slugs in the garden. you can smoke them whole with a peppery brine as well, good eats
    This went in an entirely separate direction than I had previously anticipated. At least the wreckage will be contained within this thread. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    This went in an entirely separate direction than I had previously anticipated. At least the wreckage will be contained within this thread. 
    i have never heard of anyone using them for smoke before but try smoking a block of cream cheese with it, it seems to like a light smoke, ive been using blueberry wood for it, extremely mild, bet the shells are similar
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    if the smoke smells good, the food will taste good.
    Options
    I have on chicken, scallops, shrimp, and salmon. They provided a light, sweeter smoke. I was curious if any on had done so with pork, or other heavy proteins, and as to how much they had used for it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    (insofar as the smoke component, I can't comment on the actual food)
    Options

Bon appetit =)
    I dunno, that process supposedly works wonders for coffee beans...
    http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/08/most-expensive-coffee-in-world-is-made.html

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• YukonRon
    Options
    Botch said:

Bon appetit =)
    http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/08/most-expensive-coffee-in-world-is-made.html
    Botch said:

Bon appetit =)
    This can't possibly get any further down than the flush resulting in spiraling water fed toilet bowl. Or can it?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sigh. Sorry, man........

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Sigh. Sorry, man........
    This will neither be either the first or last. That is why I like this forum. You really have no idea where this journey will take you.
    No problem, my man. I will enjoy the ride.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I've got nothing to add, this just looks like a fun thread.

oh, use care burning your nuts.  I hear low and slow is best.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    I've got nothing to add, this just looks like a fun thread.

Just the shells. My gosh, no matter how low you set the bar, you can count on my friends to still limbo under it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Burn the nuts?!  What a horrific thought!  You put them nuts in your mouth.
    Options
    Legume said:
    I feel much less guilty about my dog post now. Thank you! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    My brother worked at Kealy Farms in highschool. At Christmas they had five pound bags of pistachios in red and plain. He stole a garbage bag full of them. They were $20 each, ca 1982. 

We ate a damn bag each. Fingers stained. Face stained. 

Mom loved pistachios. And he was trying to do a good thing (they were supposed to be her christmas gift), but she knew how much they cost and there was no way he could afford them. She was mad as hell. Let's just say it wasn't just his fingers that were reddened that day

And then she marched him in to confess

• YukonRon
    Options
    My brother worked at Kealy Farms in highschool. At Christmas they had five pound bags of pistachios in red and plain. He stole a garbage bag full of them. They were $20 each, ca 1982. 

Mom loved pistachios. And he was trying to do a good thing (they were supposed to be her christmas gift), but she knew how much they cost and there was no way he could afford them. She was mad as hell. Let's just say it wasn't just his fingers that were reddened that day

That is a great story. Great story. Thank you for sharing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Glad I could help Ron.  New experience for me, setting the low bar.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Touche'. 

Hahaha
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Touche'. 

Hahaha
    You're into fencing now? Sheesh ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

Touche'. 

Hahaha
    You're into fencing now? Sheesh ;)
    I just tore down the world's ugliest fence, then, installed a new fence. I have this place locked down like Fort Knox. That is as close to fencing as you get.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Botch said:

Bon appetit =)
    https://youtu.be/1jHi-8Ykx-8
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.