Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thankful for Joetisserie Turkey

Options
I know Thanksgiving is old news at this point, but I finally was able to retrieve some photos to share. This was my fifth turkey on the Egg. We usually do one in the oven and one on the Egg. No surprise, but the Egg cook is always the most popular. Last year I spatchcocked a turkey for the first time and swore that's the only way I'd egg a turkey. However, I got a Joetisserie this year and had to try it - although I was a little concerned because of the size and weight distribution of the bird. After reading some previous posts, I decided to truss it prior to spitting then did my best to balance and secure it to the spit.

My prep was pretty simple - brined for about 15 hours and then rubbed with Dizzy Pig Mad Max rub over oil. I also stuffed the inside with onion, sage and apple hoping that it might help alleviate flopping.

The balance was pretty good from the get go and I never had to adjust for flopping. 

Once it was spinning I was able to hit it with more rub in the hard to reach places. (I like the shot of the turkey's back.)

It took about 2.5 hours at 325-ish. I was pretty concerned for a while that the drippings onto the fire might cause some off flavor, but they didn't.

Below is a shot right after pulling it. I can't tell you how good it was or how great it smelled. My son did a stellar job slicing it. Unfortunately, with everything going on, we didn't get a pic of it sliced on the platter. For a moment, cutting into it, I actually thought it might be too juicy. I think I'll be doing this again :).

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

Comments