Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's cook, pics guaranteed..., by wife.

Options
Green chili, roasted peppers, and apple stuffed pumpkins. Just tossing whatever we had in fridge at it and using leftover lump from yesterday. 
Wife is actually doing most of the cook. First time doing her green chili on the egg. It's our first pumpkins as well. Inspired by @SciAggie

Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• Golfguy77
    Options
    Looking forward to the finished meal.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Peppers off. Dunno what we're doing with them. Before and during putting stock in. Yeah, it's still frozen. Beats boxed though. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not sure what we made here, but the pumpkin is getting tender and the apples are hot and smelling good. Figured we'd pull em before we had a catastrophic failure of the organic vessel. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Outstanding! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother, for the apple stuffed pumpkins:

I have got to ask, how was the apple stuffed pumpkins? Even if they sucked, they still get the SOP for originality. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    If you would, post some pics of the apples scooped out.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    What did you do with the pumpkin guts? Reserve it for pie?

Status- Standing by.

• BilZol
    Options
    Will do as soon as we have them. Tasted a few pieces and I could have used more sugar. It was 4 apples and four tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon of cinnamon, dash of nutmeg, and a tablespoon of butter. Letting them stew a bit in the pumpkins. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    SGH said:
    What did you do with the pumpkin guts? Reserve it for pie?
    Mother in law hollowed them out for me. Stringy stuff and seeds pitched. Failed to ask her to reserve seeds as they were meant for roasting too. Flesh still in pumpkin. Hoping it pairs with apples. Heck, it might all turn into a pie. Hmmm, tomorrow's MM cook???!
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    Green chili doing its thing. Waiting for my daughters to show up so we can eat. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Tblack
    Tblack Posts: 55
    Options
    Looking good
    LBGE 
    Pike Road,Al

• BilZol
    Options
    @SGH, just damn. This is delicious. My ratios weren't off much and apple and pumpkin go together very well. 
    I went to dump the pumkin out and it collapsed. Went to pick it up and the rind just peeled off. Glad I scooped it off grate with a spatula. 
    Cut it in together. Pumpkin hating wife likes this. Still not sure how we're eating it yet but it's not going to waste. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Great pics, thanks for sharing!  Which Rolex are you wearing? 
  • BilZol
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    Great pics, thanks for sharing!  Which Rolex are you wearing? 
    Thx. It's a thirty something year old Datejust. Kind of beat to heck and back daily wearer. Nothing special.
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    Green chili topped with sour cream, cheese, roasted red peppers, and a homemade salsa that puts me more in mind of chow-chow. 
    Apple spiced pumpkin something or another on the side. Thanks for following along. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @BilZol Man, those pumpkins look good. The next ones I do will be on the egg like you did them. The way they pulled out of the shell seems perfect to me; I think I'd mash them together and enjoy. How hot was the egg and how long did the pumpkins cook?
    fyi - I mixed about 1/4 cup of cream with 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of salt in the one I did. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • BilZol
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @BilZol Man, those pumpkins look good. The next ones I do will be on the egg like you did them. The way they pulled out of the shell seems perfect to me; I think I'd mash them together and enjoy. How hot was the egg and how long did the pumpkins cook?
    fyi - I mixed about 1/4 cup of cream with 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of salt in the one I did. 
    Thx. 
    Egg was at 400-450 dome indirect. Was opening more then I normally would as wife was building the chili and I was turning peppers. I guess it was about an hour from putting them on to pulling them. 
    I would go sweeter next time I think. Your recipe sounds perfect for it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Awesome job! That green chili looks good! I need to hurry up and get a Dutch oven for stuff like that.
    LBGE
    AL
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Green chili topped with sour cream, cheese, roasted red peppers, and a homemade salsa that puts me more in mind of chow-chow. 
    Apple spiced pumpkin something or another on the side. Thanks for following along. 

Roasted veggies often go straight into the Vitamix at our place. Makes for great soups!!
  • BilZol
    Options
    Awesome job! That green chili looks good! I need to hurry up and get a Dutch oven for stuff like that.
    You can't go wrong owning one. So far I've done Brunswick stew, both peach and apple cobblers, gumbo, matza ball soup, and now green chili in them, and there are tons of things I see on here I'm eager to try. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    @Great_EGGspectations, I ended up eating a few small bowls of it and one of my daughters took some home with her. I'll certainly have a better plan for it next time. The soup idea sounds great. I'm going to experiment with acorn and maybe even butternut squash next. They are cheap and easy and can be added on to most any cook. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    @BilZol I'm sold! I bet that apple cobbler was a hit! I saw a recipe for some jambalaya on the egg I've been wanting to try, just need to pull the trigger.
    LBGE
    AL