Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Circa 1980s Pizza Slut on "Peach"

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Inspired by the old school pizza of the 80s and 90s of Pizza Hut.  Hacked off the handle of 1891 Wags Anniversary griddle to make a pizza pan.  Used Kenji's pan pizza dough recipe with KA bread flour.  First the sauce.

Hand crushed, added some roasted garlic to the pan.  Simmered for 15 min.  Cooked the sausage, berky bacon 3/4 of the way  Sliced onion, green olive, roasted red peppers, pepperoni.  Shredded the whole milk mozz.

Two hour mark, easily shaped dough, assembled.  

Target was 550, using RO.  Ran to Jewel to get a case of Bud. Returned, and my small "Peach", was at 600.  Actually worked out good with the initial temp drop.  Setup was the Woo, 12" BGE stone, copper Ts, WGs griddle.

12 min in for documentation purposes.

Total bake time was 15 min.

Aside from the pepporoni I decided to try a little thicker, I hand crushed this attempt, first pitch.  The basil chiff and parm took it beyond, but that is the standard for most pies. Couldn't leave well enough alone. 

Thanks fer lookin'.
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Very nice looking cook, how long did it take, thanks for sharing
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brandon, standing O on that pie man!  Out freaking standing!  Great job.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks really good!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Focker
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Very nice looking cook, how long did it take, thanks for sharing
    Thanks.
    Sorry, total cook was 15 minutes
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brandon, standing O on that pie man!  Out freaking standing!  Great job.
    Thank you.  Felt pretty good rippin' it.  Kenji's dough is solid for this style.  Super easy, will be great when out and about.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks great. I have a serious hankering for pan pizza. The best part is you didn't have to use parchment paper OR a peel :smiley:

Is this the dough recipe? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Options
    Man that looks great. I have a serious hankering for pan pizza. The best part is you didn't have to use parchment paper OR a peel :smiley:

Is this the dough recipe? 
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt,
    Valid points. Lol
    Yeah, that's it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Wow, that looks tremendous. Nice work!
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Hot damn! Looks fantastic 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Farkin' nailed it.  Nice work.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Nice cook and excellent write-up .   Thanks for sharing.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    That crust!!!
    LBGE
    AL
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Now I want pizza!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    That crust is perfection.  Pizza Hut pepperoni pan pizza is one of my dirty little secrets. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks outstanding. Haven't done a pizza like that in ages. Maybe this weekend...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    hard to beat a simple castiron pan pizza. like how good pepperoni cups and pools with the tasty grease as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great looking pie.  Bookmarking for later.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    WOW, Brandon, your pizza looks excellent.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    looks excellent.  I have been deep into a pizza kick (w/ sour dough) for the last few years.  I tried so many diff kind of pep . . and one stands out far above rest.  It  is made by VERMONT SMOKE & CURE . . I loaded up on amazon, but I see it is now unavailable.  If you see it, try it.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I like that pan pizza recipe and you done it proud. Kenji has another recipe for a Sicilian pie that I've been wanting to try. Half sheet pan so an oven cook (as written anyway). The Sicilian is very similar, but only 4 hours start to finish!

His pic, not mine...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/the-food-lab-spicy-spring-new-york-best-sicilian-pizza-at-home.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HCOJ
    HCOJ Posts: 14
    Options
    Damn good looking pizza.
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.  Fish is right, this simple recipe is a keeper.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    NDG said:
    looks excellent.  I have been deep into a pizza kick (w/ sour dough) for the last few years.  I tried so many diff kind of pep . . and one stands out far above rest.  It  is made by VERMONT SMOKE & CURE . . I loaded up on amazon, but I see it is now unavailable.  If you see it, try it.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Let me know if you find it online elsewhere. Always looking for better toppings.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I like that pan pizza recipe and you done it proud. Kenji has another recipe for a Sicilian pie that I've been wanting to try. Half sheet pan so an oven cook (as written anyway). The Sicilian is very similar, but only 4 hours start to finish!

His pic, not mine...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/the-food-lab-spicy-spring-new-york-best-sicilian-pizza-at-home.html
    Thanks bud.  Looks like another great one to try.  

Late night cook, thought I'd try a slightly bigger pan, #10 EPU, at a higher temp of 650.  Bake time was 12 min, you could hear the crust frying. Lol

Sliced the pepp a little thinner.  This one is closer to Pizza Slut, spreading the dough out in a bigger pan, golden crust.  10" skillet is too small IMO.
    First pie was preferred overall.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Maybe I missed it, but did you butter the skillet or just a little oil to get the crust like that. Looks good!!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Now you're just rubbing it in (-: That looks great, too. I can see the others were not a fluke.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    gamason said:
    Maybe I missed it, but did you butter the skillet or just a little oil to get the crust like that. Looks good!!
    Recipe calls for one to two tablespoons of a good EVOO before the second two hour rise.  Cooking the sausage, bacon, and pizza, will season your CI and coronaries in a hurry. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Now you're just rubbing it in (-: That looks great, too. I can see the others were not a fluke.
    Thanks.
    It would be awfully hard, to f this simple pie up.
    Recipe, a keeper for sure. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options

Looks good, think I need to jump on this CI pizza band wagon. Do you think this will work with any dough?, or is there something special with the "pan pizza" dough 

• Focker
    Options
    poster said:

Looks good, think I need to jump on this CI pizza band wagon. Do you think this will work with any dough?, or is there something special with the "pan pizza" dough 

Thanks.
    I've done NYers on CI with great results.  The no knead, and extra EVOO in this dough with CI, really makes it shine.

All that is needed is a bowl, a scale, your paws, and a CI skillet.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities