Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Leak

Options
So I believe I'm going to go on and replace my original bge gasket. It's leaking again and I've already done the resealing thing a few times now.  It only works for a few months before needing readjustment. Are Rutland gaskets really as good as everyone claims or is there a better option out there?  Would I still have the same leaking problem from time to time with a Rutland? 

Comments

• Blackwidow98
    Options

Leaking out the back again...
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greetings-

A couple of things to consider:

1. Is the dome alignment in the bands correct? If the two planes which contain the bottom of the dome and the top of the base are not parallel then a gap can occur which would allow smoke to escape.

2. By readjusting do you mean dome alignment or reapplying adhesive? More adhesive could cause and uneven gasket that would leave open gaps.

I am in the Rutland Gasket Camp and have been very happy with the results, no leaks if the directions are followed.

Best of luck, hope things work out for you!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

I am sure this is not the case, but since I was able to save money by not buying a new FoodSaver by someone mentioning something simple, are you sure your grid was not pushed to far back?  I only say this because last night, I went out to my Egg and it was leaking in the front.   My Grid was just barely pushed to far forward preventing it from closing all the way.  To the naked eye, it looked totally closed.

You have been doing this for a while, so I am sure this is not the case, but thought I would mention it just in case!

When it is time to replace my gasket, I am going to go the Rutland route based on what I have seen here.   It just simply looks like it will be better and last longer.

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Does it leak without the FB probe wires?

My original gasket seats well with no leaks. I re-adjust the bands every few months.....things shift with the heat. With the FB probe wires in it, it leaks a bit, but no biggie.

This said, the Rutland gasket is excellent. I have one here waiting for me to get some time to install it.

Would you still have leaks with a Rutland? Yes.....if you don't set up the bands properly, and you will still need to check them periodically.

Part of owning an Egg.  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have two of my Eggs that have not had gaskets in over 6+ years. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Blackwidow98
    Options
    I guess the heat is just causing it to shift.  Every few months I'll have to unloosen the bands and and put a cinder block on the top and tighten everything back up.   Somehow it's always the rear that raises up a bit and leaks at the back.   It doesn't really leak around the probe wires.  I've never had to apply any adhesive or anything.   Just realign the dome/base 
  • Blackwidow98
    Options
    Guess it's just inevitable...  No big deal.   It's just always an unexpected burden.  
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I guess the heat is just causing it to shift.  Every few months I'll have to unloosen the bands and and put a cinder block on the top and tighten everything back up.   Somehow it's always the rear that raises up a bit and leaks at the back.   It doesn't really leak around the probe wires.  I've never had to apply any adhesive or anything.   Just realign the dome/base 
    I do the same. It doesn't take long and I consider it periodic maintenance. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Have two of my Eggs that have not had gaskets in over 6+ years. 

...and you don't do low and slows any longer either.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I installed a Rutland on my MM and it worked wonderful.  Never had big trouble with the MM (like some complain about) but with the new Rutland installed cooking is noticeable easier.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Blackwidow98
    Options
    I do the same. It doesn't take long and I consider it periodic maintenance. 

Good to know I'm not the only one!  
  • Blackwidow98
    Options
    Almost messed up my chicken thighs tonight with that leaky gasket.    Lol

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Almost messed up my chicken thighs tonight with that leaky gasket.    Lol

Wow
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    solved the problem of leaky gaskets, i took them off =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it