Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size turkey on the Joetisserie?

Options
Has anyone done a turkey on their Joetisserie yet? I was wondering what size turkey I could fit in the large egg with the Joetisserie?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Bump. Hoping someone who has a Joetisserie can help brother smokey out. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Haven't done one yet myself, but have been considering it for Thanksgiving. I had the same question and found two references - one did a 12# and another 14#. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The KJ website says it'll spin 50 lbs!  http://www.kamadojoe.com/joetisserie/

Never saw a 50 lb bird! I always thought two smaller birds were better than one large on anyway. No matter how you cook 'em.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Just be very careful that you get it very securely attached to the spit rod.  I love, love, love my Joetisserie, but you have to remember it is a moving part and moves constantly.  On more than one occasion I've stepped away only to return with my food dumped directly on the lump because I didn't secure it properly.  The bigger the turkey, the closer it will be to the fire/coals and the less forgiving it will be.  Just make sure it is very securely attached and you will be fine.  I recommend securing it BEFORE having your third adult beverage.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options

Never saw a 50 lb bird! I always thought two smaller birds were better than one large on anyway. No matter how you cook 'em.

The motor is rated at 50 lbs for a balanced load. As food cooks and water evaporates, I am sure the loads become unbalanced. 

Would a 20 lbs turkey fit in an lbge? 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    bigbadben said:

The motor is rated at 50 lbs for a balanced load. As food cooks and water evaporates, I am sure the loads become unbalanced. 

Would a 20 lbs turkey fit in an lbge? 
    A 20 lb bird will fit on the egg...here is the mad max turkey write up showing a 21 lb bird.  Note the setup is a roasting pan sitting on some spacers on the plate setter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Not sure if 2nd generation will be better ... I've seen one or two videos of Jotisserie in action, without a counter weight balance, even for a chicken or small roast I saw a jerky motion every time the heavier side rotates 'over the hump'.  It probably doesn't affect the cook but I'm wondering if that means extra stress on the motor?  It'd be interesting to see how it works with a larger turkey load.

I suppose one can install an after market counter weight balance 'inside' the egg since the design wouldn't allow one outside, but that would compromise the space. 
    canuckland
  • JamesM
    JamesM Posts: 13
    Options
    I did a 15 lb turkey using my JT. I thought I had it balanced but when it rotated it started to shift. The problem was the bird was to big to be held in place by the tynes on the "leg" end. The next time i will go with a smaller bird. I also think I will cut the back bone to move the tynes inward so they penetrate the legs, the back and the top of the breast. I will also tie the bird more securely and do a better job of balancing.
    BTW; the turkey tasted wonderful!
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking I need a 14-15 lb. bird to feed my crowd. I already thought about securing it well and trying to balance it as best as possible. I don't think weight will be an issue. The motor seems plenty strong for any size bird you can fit in there. I may try a smaller bird before Thanksgiving just to get a feel for it.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I haven't done a turkey yet on the Joetisserie, but we stay around the 12 lb. mark for smoking, mostly for better quality of the finished product. Smaller the bird, more moisture and more tender. Pliers are your friend when tightening the set screws on the tines before you put it on the egg. Can't wait to see pics. We have a turkey and a turkey breast in the freezer, but waiting for the heat wave to break before cooking either one. Yesterday, we tied the highest temp record from 1938. Geez, come on fall.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    I have done a small turkey on the Joe.  Worked well.  Didn't add smoke.  Worked well.  Forgot what temp I cooked at but generally, follow same temp and time as regular cooks.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Slabotnick
    Options
    @smokeyw I'm doing at 16lber on Thursday!!! I've read that putting a potato in the opening of the turkey helps keep the flopping down. Hopefully it spins well. @Dredger you guys doing a turkey on the Joetisserie this year?
  • Dredger
    Options
    Not this Thanksgiving @Slabotnick. I'm having eye surgery this Wednesday to remove a cataract in my right eye. In addition to that, we have a burn ban in our area, so no egging, at least for a few days. Hoping for some rain real soon. We're probably rolling our Thanksgiving get together until the week after at this point.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have a 17 pound organic free-range turkey to do on my Joetisserie Thanksgiving day. It is a little bigger than I wanted to do but it is what I could find. I have already done a 14 pounder that came out fine so this one should be OK.
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    @Dredger hope your surgery goes well. I'll post how our turkey goes. @smokeyw I'm doing a 16lber free range organic turkey. So about the same size. I'm going to brine overnight then inject with butter. Using Dizzy pig Mad Max turkey seasoning. 
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @Slabotnick, I think it'll be fine. Can't wait to see how your turkey turns out.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I am also hoping to rotisserie. I have a 19lber. I have larger tynes and a counterweight if needed. My plan is to try.. I might even try aluminum wire (thin gauge) to secure bird. If it isn't rotating properly, I'll revert to Mad Max. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN