Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter

Options
when using the plate setter for indirect heat, do you put it in after you start the fire or wait till the fire gets going for a bit before putting it in

Comments

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I let the fire get going a bit then put it in.  If placed too early if will be hard to get the fire going (from my experience).
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• XLentEGG
    Options
    WELCOME !!  If I am doing a low and slow, I will put it in after I get to 250* and then bring the heat back up for smoking. If I'm just doing something like an indirect chicken cook , I will put it in right after I know I have the lump is good and lit. Cold platesetter will act as a heat sink.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Put it in as soon as you light the lump. Let everything come up to temp together. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bhedges1987
    Options
    I start my fire. Let it go for 10 min, close vents and put plate setter in.  I let it come up to temp with the plate setter in.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• ThrillSeeker
    Options
    It depends on how I light the fire and what im cooking. 

If it's pizza, I'm lighting with weedburner and putting the plate setter and pizza stone in immediately. 

If it's anything else, I'm lighting with looflighter or oiled paper towel, putting PS in when it gets up to 250 and then dialing it in. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• GATraveller
    Options
    I put it in 8-10 min after pulling my electric start coil unless I'm using a pit controller. With a controller I drop it in immediately after pulling coil.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Depends on goal temp but I usually let the fire come to life for 5 minutes or so before putting in all the guts.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Here's my process FWIW:

1.  I'll light by whatever means I feel like at the time.  Lump only.  Bottom vent WIDE OPEN, Dome open.

2.  I'll kindly ask Siri to set an alarm for 8 minutes.

3.  At the 8 minute mark, I'll come back and close the dome and choke down the lower vent to half-way.  By this time, the heat has loosened up my Smokewear SS Cap enough to where I can move it easily.

4.  Siri runs another timer for about 5 minutes.

5.  Now I'll add my smoke wood chunks/chips and add the PS.  Choke down the bottom vent to 1 inch.

6.  Another 5-8 minute timer.  Should be smoking really good and starting to settle into 300-ish from warming up the PS.

7.  Food goes on.

Most of my cooks for pulled pork now fall in the semi-turbo method around 325-350 just because, well, because.  I dunno!

If I'm going reverse sear method for a steak or chops, then its just minus the smoke woods and I close the vents more to stay around 250.  Recently I've started just using the spider rig and pizza stone instead of the PS just to get a more even barrier.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I light up with both vents wide open screen and all. When it hits 200 I put platesetter in and close lower screen then let it approach temp and adjust top vent only. I run with lower vent wide open unless it's real windy. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  A valuable lesson regarding the BGE above-many right answers to a question.  Experiment with one and then change up one variable at a time and settle on what works for you.  Above all, don't over-think it and have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Put it in as soon as you light the lump. Let everything come up to temp together. 
    This
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
     lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  A valuable lesson regarding the BGE above-many right answers to a question.  Experiment with one and then change up one variable at a time and settle on what works for you.  Above all, don't over-think it and have fun.
    @lousubcap is a real dialed in dude.
    I do it different every time, because, well, I goof up a lot. (I have taken too many shots to the head over the years) However, my preferred method for expediency, is to light the coals, install the platesetter and bring it up to temp. When I fail to do so, I put it in when I can, and pass time to get the correct temp, by trying to catch up to 'Cap, in his LEO.
    It is all about having fun, and the great food. The journey is the most important part.
    Too much other stuff to worry about. Enjoy the day.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky