Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs By the Bay Egg Fest in Tampa Florida

Options
Just posting to let any of you Floridians know that on October 1st there will be an Egg Fest called Eggs By the Bay in Tampa Florida. The event is benefiting Shriner's Children Hospital in Tampa so its for a great cause and should be a blast!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm sure this will be a great event and it's for an outstanding cause. But there is already a well established Eggfest with the same name. 

http://www.eggsbythebay.com

Would be nice to come up with an original theme/name so the 2 events are not confused with each other. Just a thought.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JustGrillin1
    Options
    I have no control over the name selected, and I'm sure they're not gonna do a name change 10 days to the event. And the "Eggs by the Bay" in the one you reference is the name of the store/shop putting on said event, not the event itself and is located on the opposite side of the country. Thanks for the heads up though! 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Eggs By The Bay "is" the name of the other Fest.
    Since this was your post on the forum and you have no info about yourself in your profile I was just guessing you were involved with the Florida Fest.
    But if you are not, sorry.
    BGE should take a step when allowing and supporting Eggfest to make sure things like this do not happen.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I thought Eggs by The Bay Eggfest was in Cali?

http://www.eggsbythebay.com/eggfest-info.html

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JustGrillin1
    Options
    Hotch, there is another one in Tampa Bay, Florida
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Its like Disney Land and Disney World.  One is in Florida and one is in Cali.  Basically the same name.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Its like Disney Land and Disney World.  One is in Florida and one is in Cali.  Basically the same name.
    Both Land and World owned by the same company, Disney. Understandable they would have very similar name.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I think Smitty is coming up on his 12th year of Eggs By The Bay Eggfest. One of the longest running Eggfests. I hear it is a good one to go to. The Cali one that is.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I think Smitty is coming up on his 12th year of Eggs By The Bay Eggfest. One of the longest running Eggfests. I hear it is a good one to go to. The Cali one that is.
    But then again @JustGrillin1 just added a 1 to another members name.
    I see a pattern here.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DaBudDawg
    Options
    Where in Tampa is it?
  • fljoemon
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    @tarheelmatt @JohnInCarolina @piney    better gut busy on trademarking that NC Butt Blast before it gets away from you ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Regardless of  the event's title it's the ideal time of year for it & it should be a good time. Thanks for the 411
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Oh man... I will be in Tampa on this date... 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JustGrillin1
    Options
    Yeah it looks like it should be a good time and all the weather reports show good conditions as well
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    edited September 2016
    Options

Wow charging the cooks $50.00!!! Even if I was back in FL I would not pay that, usually spend between $100.00 -$200.00 in food to cook. I do like the fact that it is a fund raiser though. I think cooks should not have to pay, although I would pay a small fee like $15.00.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JustGrillin1
    Options
    well it looks like the reasoning behind that is that they made it a small BBQ competition.. 1st place wins a Large Egg, 2nd a Medium, not sure what they're doing for 3rd. Plus they have swag bags for all the participants in the cook off.
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Wow charging the cooks $50.00!!! Even if I was back in FL I would not pay that, usually spend between $100.00 -$200.00 in food to cook. I do like the fact that it is a fund raiser though. I think cooks should not have to pay, although I would pay a small fee like $15.00.

As the popularity of Big Green Egg continues to increase...more and more places are going to jump on the band wagon and throw "Eggfests". And more of theses events will not be what you and I consider Eggfests. Several are now charging cooks and turning what has always been a friendly Fest into the ever growing competition. The main goal of selling Eggs and promoting the dealer and who knows what small percent to a charity so it can be claimed a tax write off.
    Charging the cooks $50 bucks after the hundreds of dollars they spend related to cooking at the Fest is a stab in the back.IMO
    They should make their money off the tasters and the advertising sponsors...
    I don't know if it's just lack of consideration for the cooks time, effort and money they spend to cook at the Fest or greed.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,974
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @JupiterJim and @PhotoEgg - I agree with you guys on charging the cooks.
    At this event, the $50 is for a cooking team of 4 and includes a VIP dinner (whatever that is).
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • JustGrillin1
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim @Florida Grillin Girl According to their website, it looks like they are providing the cooks/teams everything but the food products they are making for samples and any eggcessories teams would want to use.