Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comp. cooking.

Options
I have been posting my cooks on Facebook and everyone always wants to know when dinner is. So one of my fb friends IM me this morning about getting into  competition bbq. Well with all of about 1 month of low and slow cooking under my belt I said why not. There is a comp. In Wiggins ms. In October. That will be our first win lol. So i have a couple month to hone our skill. So prepare for some questions and some food pics. 
New Orleans, Louisiana. 
XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 

Comments

• hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    Options
    Totally diffeent kind of cooking than neighborhood or personal cooking.   One bite bbq takes some adjustment.    I hope you find the transition seamless however, I don't know many people who have that type of luck.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    Is it an amateur competition? And are the judges amateur? That can add some more randomness to the results, but above all make sure to have fun.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I think your ready for the "jack" 
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     There is a comp. In Wiggins ms. In October. 
    I don't follow or keep up with the circuits anymore. Haven't in years. But the event in Wiggins was always a BCA sanctioned event. I would look up their rules and regulations and familiarize myself with them. Good luck brother, I hope y'all slam dunk them. I live just down the road from Wiggins. I will try to swing by and sample yalls Q.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    hogfan412 said:
    Totally diffeent kind of cooking than neighborhood or personal cooking.   One bite bbq takes some adjustment.    I hope you find the transition seamless however, I don't know many people who have that type of luck.
    True! I was talking to Harry Soo 'Slap Yo Daddy BBQ' a while back and told him I was interested in possibly doing a 'competition' in the somewhat near future.

He offered encouragement and some advice, he said, 'there comes a time when every pitmaster thinks they make the best bbq in the land, friends come over, feast on your bbq and drink your beer and tell you that you serve the best bbq - EVER!

He told me the problem is, that they are eating for FREE, that it's only once you get a paying customer, well that's when you discover how good you are.

In your case, a bbq judge.

I wish you the best, you certainly have my respect. Please report back on your progress ... best and good luck! Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have been posting my cooks on Facebook and everyone always wants to know when dinner is. So one of my fb friends IM me this morning about getting into  competition bbq. Well with all of about 1 month of low and slow cooking under my belt I said why not. There is a comp. In Wiggins ms. In October. That will be our first win lol. So i have a couple month to hone our skill. So prepare for some questions and some food pics. 
    It's a BCA COMP which means the judges are idiots. I'll be there most likely though and will tell you anything and everything we do with nothing held back if you come ask.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement yall. We know were not that good but kinda looking for the experience. Im hoping it will be a good time. Plus it will give us a reason to bbq a little bit more. In the name of "practice"  
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    It's a BCA COMP which means the judges are idiots. I'll be there most likely though and will tell you anything and everything we do with nothing held back if you come ask.
    Thanks grim might need to pick your brain. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    We know were not that good 
    Nonsense. Go kick some Q a$$. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.