Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

420 day dry aged beef

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    "It's not a pleasant experience"

hahaha. At least they picked a polished individual for that taste test. I would have loved to have seen some redneck taste testing that. 

"Aww hell! This tastes like a hot, salty dog turd stuck to a Dino bone.  Y'all got any riblets back there?"

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I think they overcooked it and seriously, no charcoal or wood fire, and I would question whether or not they overcooked it.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    The thing I came away with in that video was yet another confirmation that 45 day is far better than 28 day! But OTOH I had already come to that confusion by personal aging efforts years ago! I've gone 60 and 62 and really I didn't think the longer time was worth the wait.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I was a science major, seems like hundreds of years ago, and I was sorry they told him which was which, because he admitted right up front that he had expectations based on the different ages.  I'd have been very interested to have him first just be given random bites to sample, and see what he thought, finding out later which was which.  It was still fascinating!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You need to understand WHY you are doing something, WHAT you are doing, WHAT you are expecting, and HOW it is happening

if you don't, it's just playing around 

i heard from a guy that if you leave a whole chicken in your kitchen at room temp, no plastic wrap, for a month it will still be good. 

I tried it and told him my entire damily died of salmonella poisoning

he said "did you thnk enough to ask me why and how i did it?"

i said no. "But i heard it on a barbecue forum, and it sounded like everyone loved it. Frankly, the chicken was rotten and damn near killed my family"

he said "actually, it's perfectly safe to keep a chicken at room temp on the floor of your kitchen. For a month. If it is alive. Hardest part is remembering to feed it and cleaning up the sh!t"

you really need to know what the he|| you are doing before you do it

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw so your saying that its not a good idea to leave a chicken dry age in my kitchen lol. But if i read something on the Internet it's got to be true. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can absolutely age chicken. 

Buddy of mine goes a week. I have done a week too. Not pretty, but better than fresh

In the fridge of course
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw so your saying that its not a good idea to leave a chicken dry age in my kitchen lol. But if i read something on the Internet it's got to be true. 
    Take this for what it's worth because I'm a uneducated man and a high school dropout. But I have watched my grandfather dry age chickens 11-14 days under IDEAL conditions. For your own safety, keep in mind that dry aging white meat is far more tedious than dry aging red meat. $hit can go down hill fast if you are not careful. It can be done and done with outstanding results. But you better have your ducks in a row when you start trying to go beyond 8 days with white meat.
    Here are a few useful tips. If dry aging poultry for a extended period, use parts, not a whole bird. Next, poultry should stay under constant air circulation 24/7. This is not the case with beef. But for 14 day dry aged poultry it's almost a must. 
    With the above said and aside, at day 12 even under ideal conditions, you really need to know what you are looking at. Don't trust the Google machine to walk you through dry aging poultry. Just my meager thoughts my friend. Proceed at your own peril and may the Dry Aging Gods lead you down the right path. 
    For the record, Darby/Stike is one of only a handful of people on the forum who may know more about dry aging poultry than I do. If his future advice contradicts mine, I would certainly trust him and do what he says. I shared the above from personal experience, not expertise. But it contains value nonetheless. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.