Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

last night my wife asked for her favorite meal

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
So who was I not to oblige her? I know I've posted similar pictures but hey we get new people here all the time.

The unique part of the plated meal are these potato balls I cut using a mellon baller and then fry them in a skillet in hot oil and keep them rolling all the time!

Then the meat is beef tenderloin and then plated with the balls and béarnaise sauce. 

Trust me - we went to bed very happy with memories of a terrifically rich and tasty meal!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    There is so much material here but I won't. 

Nice potatoes. What variety?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    RRP said:
    So who was I not to oblige her? I know I've posted similar pictures but hey we get new people here all the time.

The unique part of the plated meal are these potato balls I cut using a mellon baller and then fry them in a skillet in hot oil and keep them rolling all the time!

Then the meat is beef tenderloin and then plated with the balls and béarnaise sauce. 

Trust me - we went to bed very happy with memories of a terrifically rich and tasty meal!
    Can I ask how you make the sauce? It looks very tasty.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    It's always good to keep the wife happy - especially by cooking her favorite meal for her.

Great looking plate, @RRP.  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RRP
    Options
    GregW said:
    RRP said:

I cheat..it's KNORR brand béarnaise sauce, but I do enrichen it by using half & half instead of milk.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Wow that looks good Ron. Great job. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SmokingPiney
    edited June 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    GregW said:
    RRP said:

I cheat..it's KNORR brand béarnaise sauce, but I do enrichen it by using half & half instead of milk.
    I use the Knorr sauce, myself. It's easy to prep and it tastes great. I add a touch of sour cream right at the end of the prep. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RRP
    Options

I use the Knorr sauce, myself. It's easy to prep and it tastes great. I add a touch of sour cream right at the end of the prep. 
    Interesting! The reason I like the Knorr is the ease and consistency of taste every time I want it - same way with their Hollandaise sauce for eggs benedict. Besides I never have professed to be a from scratch gourmet cook - I just like the good taste of the Knorr products!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks great Ron. I wouldn't mind seeing that every week, let alone every year or so. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    The title "last night my wife asked for her favorite meal" opens the door for many, many jokes. I assure you that if anyone else named a thread with that title I would run the gambit with jokes. But seeing how it was you ole buddy, I will simply say great looking grub my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Very nice. I like the different approach to fried potatoes. Good presentation.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks - BTW I peel the potatoes and then get 4 to 5 balls from each, but there is no waste as I grate the "hollowed" potatoes for hash browns the next morning! Just soak the grated shreds in water, refrigerate and drain and rinse in the morning.
  • Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    Nice job Ron,   Looks pretty good.  I'm going to have to give it a try.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    RRP said:

Interesting! The reason I like the Knorr is the ease and consistency of taste every time I want it - same way with their Hollandaise sauce for eggs benedict. Besides I never have professed to be a from scratch gourmet cook - I just like the good taste of the Knorr products!

I'm in the pre-packaged powder camp too. I screwed up Christmas breakfast once when the hollandaise broke, didn't have enough ingredients left to start over, pissed me off for a good couple hours until noon when it was safe to drink. The package stuff works every time and is really close to the same I think. nice job 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Instead of the packaged stuff try this technique. Always works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWzVV_XrcM
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    edited June 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Instead of the packaged stuff try this technique. Always works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWzVV_XrcM
    Thank you - I may have to try it sometime when I'm not trying to keep all the other balls in the air of poaching the eggs, heating the Canadian bacon, toasting the English muffins, steaming the asparagus, pouring the champagne and keeping the sauce stirred so they all finish at essentially the same time.
  • SmokingPiney
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Agree, @RRP - why reinvent the wheel when you don't have to - and you can keep the cook simple, easily repeatable, and awesome. 

Use the tools at hand.............

I don't seek points as a scratch cook guru with the Higher Gods of Cooking. I'm just concerned with how the meal plays with those that eat it.  =)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks - BTW I peel the potatoes and then get 4 to 5 balls from each, but there is no waste as I grate the "hollowed" potatoes for hash browns the next morning! Just soak the grated shreds in water, refrigerate and drain and rinse in the morning.
    This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. You mentioned posting this before, but it's the first time I've seen it. Thanks again. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Looks great.   She's a lucky woman! 
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• RRP
    Options

Nice potatoes. What variety?
    Sorry - just realized I had not replied - I find that plain ol' common red potatoes work best as they need the solid raw state to hold up to the mellon baller twisting and turning to pull out nearly perfect spheres. BTW most ballers have a large end and a small end - I prefer the small end. If you have never tried this then trust me - it takes some practice, but as I said before there really is no waste as what you carve up gets grated into hash browns! Seems like every 5# bag of reds have at least 5 or 6 large potatoes - but a quick inspection to tell you which is the better bag. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Ron, that is a fantastic dinner. I hope you wear your chef's jacket while you're whipping that up...it's professional caliber. Even with a package sauce!
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    Options
    Ron, that is a fantastic dinner. I hope you wear your chef's jacket while you're whipping that up...it's professional caliber. Even with a package sauce!
    LOL - no, but honest - I was looking high and low for one of my BGE aprons to protect my shirt from the splattering/popping oil near the end! BTW - Pat said, hi!

Tonight I took an easy ride and fixed a 1# pork loin sous vide for 4 hours, then served with heated BH Tenn Red as a finishing sauce plus an acorn squash with maple syrup, butter and pecans.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ron my man! :clap:  Looks crazy good old friend. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks great Ron!  Gonna try the potato ball idea for sure!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks great to me. I might steal these balls for later this week
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Yep +1...I'm gonna have to try the potato balls !!

As you know me by now...I love off the wall...different types of preparations !!!!

Thanks for posting.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Dang Ron very nice spread.   I see why your wife loves it.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Looks just fantastic. Really great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That sauce seems like it would go very well with a heavy dose of curry powder.
    Options
    Amazing meal!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va