Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got the party Q today and the air inlet adapter for the MiniMax, what is longest 220-250F cook time?

Options

No picts yet- phone batt is dead and tablet was left at office but I wanted to post this so I can learn how long anyone has been able to maintain a low temp on a full load of fuel in a minimax.  It would be super helpful for me, and I will begin eggsperimenting this weekend.

The fan and controller with pit probe was $125 and the adapter was $20, so that's a pretty good deal. I do have a separate digital temp monitor from thermoworks that I can use to watch meat temp.

I will put picts here at some point but this automated capability with the MM now expands its capability beyond belief.  A 7-8 LB shoulder will fit in there or a couple of turkey breasts.

really looking forward to using this device on the MM.

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I've never timed a MM smoke using a blower, but I know for sure that I can get 10 hours at 250 without a blower with a properly lit fire. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I had 12 hours 40 mins on mine before she started going negative. Likely could have gone longer if I had stacked the lump correctly. 250F.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    With my blower I have had to refill at 6 or so hours, but could have been how I fill it in the beginning 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thanks Brethren.  If YukonRon got nearly 13 hr at 250, then i would guess 15 hr at 210, maybe 220 is doable.  I am experimenting with mm and long low temp cooks as im excited about taking mm to beach, mountains and tailgates and wowing all with the temp control capabilities. I will post here when i get some results....stay tuned
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thanks Brethren.  If YukonRon got nearly 13 hr at 250, then i would guess 15 hr at 210, maybe 220 is doable.  I am experimenting with mm and long low temp cooks as im excited about taking mm to beach, mountains and tailgates and wowing all with the temp control capabilities. I will post here when i get some results....stay tuned
    250 was the dome temp. This was not an average, just a very semi scientific study using several solutions in the data collection process. (Alcohol is a solution) 
    This cook did not use temp control air accelerators.
    It was a chuck roast, I think, which finished early, and I left the MM go until the thermometer would no longer hold the dome temp. I adjusted the lower vent and upper vent to maximize performance throughout the half acid evaluation. 
    I do recall it was a very warm and humid day, with not much wind, which I think was an advantage.
    Usually I arrange the lump to maximize cook times for LS. I was not actually planning to run this test, so this time it was just a quick load in, nearly a dump, with smalls scooped and added. The lump was Rockwood or Carbon del Sur, I just can't remember for sure. I think RW.
    I pulled the stock grate, no KAB, filled up almost to the cooking grid because I had read of others doing this to maintain higher temps for extended cooks. Having never done a chuck roast on any BGE, therefore having no idea how long it would take, I decided to try this method. I figured If I had too, I could finish it in the oven.
    I thought that they were Bullshidding, boasting of 13-15 hour cooks.
    Turns out, they weren't.
    I am very gullible. It was one of the very few tests I had done just to see for myself, and only did so, after seeing how much lump was left, not burned when the roast was completed. I decided to let it ride, just to see.
    I was unable to hit their times for LS on the mini. I think if I were more deliberate with the placement of the lump, I may have approached the lower end of their claims.
    I have not tested the claim since, due to fear of cracking the base or other potential damage, that I had since read were possible, if this became a frequent practice. This is a test I will not do.
    That was when I figured out how amazing the MM was.
    Now, I use the KAB exclusively, 5-6 hours are typically the longest cooks I do,  but even then, plenty of lump is left.
    Hope this helps.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    it does help a ton my man. Many thanks for posting it