Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings from the Salado Afterparty

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,836
So, I made about 70 wings for a gathering at a friend's house using the same recipe I used at the Salado Afterparty and thought I would share the steps/recipe here.  When I first got my egg and I read that people liked egged wings more than restaurant wings I had a hard time imagining it, but I got there after learning from the good folks here - and stumbling upon a rub and sauce combination that we really like.  Here are the steps:

Have son go to store, buy wings, coat them in rub from The Gumbo Shop (New Orleans restaurant) and put them in ziplock bags in the refrigerator for several hours (or days if possible).

Put wings on egg at some temp between 300 and 400.

Cook the wings until the skin is brown but the meat is moist (about an hour at 300, about 30 minutes if you are cooking at 400).

Mix up sauce in a Tupperware bowl.  4 parts Minorcan Datil Pepper sauce (for this many wings that was 12 ounces), 5 parts Teriyaki Sauce (15 ounces), and 6 parts Buffalo Sauce (18 ounces). 

Put about 1/2 of the wings in the bowl.  Make sure each wing gets fully submerged at some point to soak up the saucy goodness.  Don't skimp on the sauce or the saucing process.  If you seal the lid and turn the bowl over - HOLD THE LID FIRMLY IN AT LEAST 2 PLACES.  Splashing sauce all over is bad.  Losing wings is a crime.  I've done both...

Optional:  I like to put the wings back on the grill for a couple of minutes to set the sauce like a glaze.  There is some risk to this as there is sugar in the sauce and depending on the grill temp it can burn.  So - no more than 4 minutes on the grill after saucing.

Hopefully, the pics come out in some reasonable order.  Thanks for looking,  Especially @texaswig who mentioned these a few days ago and got me thinking about them.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Look fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Best step is having son go to the store to buy wings!!  B)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    ^^^^^ I agree wholeheartedly, and then he should cook them while I supervise with a cold beverage
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @frognot

And thanks @cazzy, yes, having a son who can go to store and do the prep work is definitely a bonus. He also got the egg lit and up to temp before I got home from work. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    @Jstroke, he is more than capable, but he had to go to work. 

San Antonio, TX

• Jstroke
    Options
    Foghorn said:

That that is awesome--it's funny how I think of other people kids as always the same age as mine if you have never heard about or seen them. My son is 13, and can light, cook and use the thermapen. But I stay fairly close at hand in case of whoopsie"s 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Foghorn said:

That that is awesome--it's funny how I think of other people kids as always the same age as mine if you have never heard about or seen them. My son is 13, and can light, cook and use the thermapen. But I stay fairly close at hand in case of whoopsie"s 
    Sounds like he is coming along nicely. My son is 19 and as @caliking and @Hotch can attest, he can handle himself around an egg. 

San Antonio, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    He can also bring in across state lines some of the best tasting beer I think I have ever had. @Foghorn you have taught him well!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Yeah, @Hotch, but he is transferring from music school in Baltimore (Peabody Conservatory at Johns Hopkins) to Tulane to study Biomedical Engineering.  So he won't have access to my favorite beer - but it looks like I'll be able to get to Brisket Camp which is good. We can have @Eggcelsior be the beer mule. 

When will that be @nolaegghead?

San Antonio, TX

• Jstroke
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Jstroke said:
    Foghorn Sounds like he is coming along nicely. My son is 19 and as @caliking and @Hotch can attest, he can handle himself around an egg. 
    Well, sounds like you have coached him well. I hope he enjoys it. I am trying to instill some foundation of what "real food" is rather than shi$t from a box. He does seem to enjoy it. He helped create the menu at the eggfest last year, and wants to run his own egg this year., time will tell.

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    How is the datil bbq sauce? Is it really hot? I have used Datil peppers in recipes and they were pretty intense.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    How is the datil bbq sauce? Is it really hot? I have used Datil peppers in recipes and they were pretty intense.

@NonaScott, the datil bbq sauce is a good combination of hot and sweet, but by itself it is too hot and intense for us.  It is hotter than standard "hot wing" sauce, but not as hot as the hottest options at wing restaurants, for example.  Mixing it 50/50 with Buffalo sauce gives a very kicky wing that is very tasty and interesting but just a little hotter than I like.  That's why I added the teriyaki to the mix.

I would encourage you to try it.  If you like hot stuff, you may like it straight.  If not, you'll almost certainly find it useful for mixing into other sauces like I do.  It's my secret ingredient.

San Antonio, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @Foghorn What is the name of that killer brew you had at Saldo?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @Foghorn What is the name of that killer brew you had at Saldo?

@Hotch, it was Allagash Curieux - from Portland, Maine.

http://www.allagash.com/beer/curieux/

San Antonio, TX

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Thanks for posting the recipe. Everyone went crazy for these wings. The flavor profile is familiar but something different at the same time. Very addictive. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Yeah, @Hotch, but he is transferring from music school in Baltimore (Peabody Conservatory at Johns Hopkins) to Tulane to study Biomedical Engineering.  So he won't have access to my favorite beer - but it looks like I'll be able to get to Brisket Camp which is good. We can have @Eggcelsior be the beer mule. 

When will that be @nolaegghead?
    @Foghorn Should get a date down in the next 3 or 4 weeks.  Mid October-ish.