Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip w/tomato relish, braised kale, and brown rice

Options
Yesterday, we took off to Winston-Salem to see what all the fuss was about with the new Publix that opened about three weeks ago.  Was a very nice store (obviously, it's brand new) that featured garage parking with elevators that go to the above floor store.  That was pretty neat.  

Browsing around, noticed one lonely tri tip sitting there.  Never seeing one, I thought, I better snag this.  I've heard great things about it.  Picked that up with a few other items and then we grabbed some dinner and came home.  

Searched for a Santa Maria type rub and came across this one. I mainly used it as reference, didn't follow the "T".  I added some coffee and some sugar too.  Held back on the cayenne a bit, used a dash.  

I rubbed with some canola oil, and applied liberally.  It sat for over an hour like that.  

Egg was going at 250°, and I threw in a very small piece of hickory.  I read that the left coast folk use red oak.  I didn't have that, so hickory it was.  

Made a tomato relish that consisted of: tomato, jalapeno, red onion, cucumber, salt, pepper, honey, EVOO, lemon juice.  

Reversed seared until 120°.  

Pulled and got the Egg to roughly 450° and heated a CI skillet up with some canola oil.  

Seared the tri tip, and then added some bathing goodness (butter, and rosemary).  Bathed it for a min and pulled it.  Steak was approaching 130°.  

Let sit for 5 min or so and sliced against the grain (the grain goes everywhere with these).  

It was very good.  I wished I could get these closer to me as I would do them more.  

Here's some shots.  

1- Just pulled from the reverse sear.  

2 - In the CI pan

3 - Pulled

4 - Shot of the greens

5 - Sliced

6 - 

Thanks for taking a look!  

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram