Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Derby party

Options
Turk2011
Turk2011 Posts: 65
Am I the only one that has a Kentucky Derby party. We cook in moderation , drink in excess , and gamble just enough . Actually we have a party for all three races of the triple crown . Different menu each time of coarse  same jackassery tho.  Just curious I can't seem to remember anyone else even acknowledgeing the event.  
Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Sure do.  My wife's family has a Kentucky Derby party every year.  Food, gambling and booze.  Fun filled day.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Seriously? ;)  love Derby Day, hell, Derby week!  I've been 6 times, infield included.  Please don't ask for details.  Love the event the pomp and circumstance, the regalia and the parties.  Glad you called it out.  Have a great derby day brother!  We'll be all over it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Turk2011
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that enjoys a drunken day of watching the mules run a circle!  As well as good food and decent people around 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Bourbon. Brews. BBQ. 30 guests so hoping I don't tip over too early...
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I take this weekend off every year! A very big deal at my house. Wagering, food, beverages...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We live here. Friday is for the Natives, Saturday is for the World. We are having our Thurby tonight. Blues, Q and obscure bourbon. The fine wine rolls. We busted it large on the BGE tonight, All the women are wearing their Derby hats, and I must say, a lot of money was spent on fashion this evening.
    We are downtown Louisville with a fire pit going and folks have been joining us all night long.
    After the Phillies run tomorrow, we are heading out of town. Heading to Saint Louis for the weekend.
    Party on Folks. We will.
    Great places in Saint Louis anyone?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @YukonRon if you're looking for good food, here's a short list of some of our favorites. 
    The Crossing, The Shaved Duck, 1111 Mississippi, SugarFire, Dressels, Scottish Arms. Ok Since you're coming from the east, Cleveland Heath is a local favorite. Plenty of good options in STL though! 

Broadway oyster bar, washington ave, and soulard have good nightlife. Don't forget all the local breweries too!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @byrne092 Thank you for the list! My Beautiful Wife and I will check them out. We are going to catch the Cardinals and Pirates game and hang out a bit.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Our 2nd annual Derby Party is Saturday. 

56 RSVP's so far. 

We we hire a caterer so I can focus on the drinking. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great thread topic-looking for casual Derby wagering suggestions.  Gotta admit that Nyquist is hard to ignore and this field is pretty deep with several that could win.  Have been a few times but not since '09.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    thought for a second someone was organizing a blanket party for me.

no party here, but the kids like to pick a horse, and the wife doesn't really need an excuse to make us some cocktails.  a good day, especially when it is sunny (which it hasn't been in a week).

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pewter cups are already being chilled. i line up 4 for the race with @springchickens julep recipe =) then refill them after the race
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blockmaster
    blockmaster Posts: 23
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great thread topic-looking for casual Derby wagering suggestions.  Gotta admit that Nyquist is hard to ignore and this field is pretty deep with several that could win.  Have been a few times but not since '09.   
    I am looking at some combination of:
    Outwork
    Exaggerator
    Danzing Candy
    Mor Spirit
    Suddenbreakingnews

Supposedly a weak field this year so it might be wise to wheel bet Nyquist with some combo of the 5 above (that's my plan as of now :) )

Also, I love the derby.  it has been a family tradition of ours since my Great Uncle returned from WWII.  He went to every single Derby race since he returned up to the year he died in 2011.  My parents have been to the past 25 derbys in a row and I personally along with my wife have been to the last 4.  This event needs to be on everyones list even if you aren't a race fan because the event is so much more than the race.  My wife and mom sit and look at the fashion, my dad and I bet the ponies.  No other event brings everyone together like derby weekend.
    Dallas, TX - 1 Large BGE, 28in Blackstone
    Instagram - @jetcooks
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    We live here. Friday is for the Natives, Saturday is for the World. We are having our Thurby tonight. Blues, Q and obscure bourbon. The fine wine rolls. We busted it large on the BGE tonight, All the women are wearing their Derby hats, and I must say, a lot of money was spent on fashion this evening.
    We are downtown Louisville with a fire pit going and folks have been joining us all night long.
    After the Phillies run tomorrow, we are heading out of town. Heading to Saint Louis for the weekend.
    Party on Folks. We will.
    Ron....you rockin the fashion too? You seem like a blue jeans and t-shirt kind of guy to me. Be carefull what you kick if your horse wins or looses. No broken bones this weekend =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Love the derby. Have been before. Was in the infield club the year they started that. Hard to beat having your own betting stations. Just have to beat the cops to the line-- they like to cut to place their bets first. Derby is one of the events that everyone needs to attend at least once. We did a party a few years ago. This year it is my sons first birthday that has us celebrating tomorrow though. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have never been....but would catch it on TV if I was around. Never made plans for it. I did watch the position draws the other day....and found that to be interesting. My guess is it is a lot of tradition and pageantry. Will watch if near a TV....would love to attend one some day.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm going with

Brody's Cause
    Outwork
    Exaggerator

For a long shot gotta go with #12 Tom's Ready #FREEBRADY
  • Turk2011
    Options
    Id put a couple bucks on suddenbreakingnews if I was a betting man
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ready.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    @YukonRon if you're looking for good food, here's a short list of some of our favorites. 
    The Crossing, The Shaved Duck, 1111 Mississippi, SugarFire, Dressels, Scottish Arms. Ok Since you're coming from the east, Cleveland Heath is a local favorite. Plenty of good options in STL though! 

Broadway oyster bar, washington ave, and soulard have good nightlife. Don't forget all the local breweries too!
    Hit the Scottish Arms last night. Fish and chips, My Beautiful Wife is Irish/French and has the Catholic tradition burnt into her DNA.
    It was fabulous. Doing the oyster bar today after the game, and we will be heading out to BB Kings and Beals later for some blues.
    Thank you for the heads up!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

YukonRon said:
    Party on Folks. We will.
    Ron....you rockin the fashion too? You seem like a blue jeans and t-shirt kind of guy to me. Be carefull what you kick if your horse wins or looses. No broken bones this weekend =)
    When I go, I do the Derby dress code. Navy sport coat, khaki pants, button down shirt, tie and loafers, but no socks. Shades are mandatory. No goofy hat.
    Rest of the year, cargos/jeans, tshirts shades and a tilly for the rain/sun.
    My Beautiful Wife has a dozen(?) derby hats. She loves Derby. We do a Thurby. Party for the official shut down of Louisville on Thursday evening. Then we go to the Oaks on Friday, when the Phillies run. Proceeds go to breast cancer research. That is the locals day. Many people from Louisville tend to let the rest of the world enjoy Churchill Downs for the Derby, and party pretty hard at one of thousands of parties held around the Commonwealth.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    The Mrs. is dragging me to her friend's housewarming party.  :anguished: So I'll miss it.  I am making some turtle eggs to bring to her friend's house though.