Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Cedar Table

Options

I finally got a BGE. First thing I wanted to do was start on the table. This is my attempt at a cedar table. I bought a 72" x 36" limestone slab for the top. Should have the hole cut and project finished by this weekend. Going brisket first attempt.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I can't wait to see the outcome. It is going to be very nice. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • EngnrFshrmn
    EngnrFshrmn Posts: 16
    Options
    I like the design. Show us the final product. Thanks for sharing.
    Salisbury, NC
    Large Big Green Egg
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Are you putting a truck on that?
    j/k, sturdy table needs a big green egg! Looks great.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    nice !!! heavy duty
  • BFitch81
    BFitch81 Posts: 11
    Options
    Haha, I know, way overbuilt. In fact, I added some half in thread pipe to the bottom legs because I didn't like how it was wobbling a bit when I picked up one side. I really just like the look of heavy duty stuff and material wise it was only about $185 to build. Wish I would have gone with 3/4" thread but I've decided I was done building. The 1.5" solid limestone slab I am cutting for the top should help to bring the weight down lol!
  • BFitch81
    Options

Forgot to put the finished product up. Just have another coat of oil on the top and put the egg in. Ready for a brisket.

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @BFitch81  I assume you have a construction background or similar.  The design of your posts often reflects deck construction designs for transferring the load through to the column.  Looks good!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • BFitch81
    Options
    I actually own an insurance agency and just had a table saw to work with, haha. I had seen a similar design and it looked pretty heavy duty, so I went with it. My buddy let me use his planer and biscuit joiner for the top. Hope it lasts a long time!
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    BFitch81 said:
    I actually own an insurance agency and just had a table saw to work with, haha. I had seen a similar design and it looked pretty heavy duty, so I went with it. My buddy let me use his planer and biscuit joiner for the top. Hope it lasts a long time!
    Looks great.  Are you going to put some casters on it? That looks like a lot of table to move around...
    New Orleans LA
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Awesome build, love the largeness of the lumber. What size posts did you use for the corners?

Im slightly confused about the top, you mentioned you bought a limestone slab but then said you borrowed a friends planer and biscuit joiner for the top?

The finished product does look like a wood top, did you change our mind on the limestone?
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    looks awesome, nice job

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Awesome build, love the largeness of the lumber. What size posts did you use for the corners?

Im slightly confused about the top, you mentioned you bought a limestone slab but then said you borrowed a friends planer and biscuit joiner for the top?

The finished product does look like a wood top, did you change our mind on the limestone?
    I thought the same thing.  Either way it looks like a fantastic home for the LBGE :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Great looking table
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Curious - what will you use the short black pipe for? It seems close to the ground and with the overhang a little difficult to get to for a towel rack.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BFitch81
    Options
    feef706 said:

Oh the limestone top. What a mess. A good friend was supposed to fabricate the top for me. He  purchased a slab that was the wrong stone (wrong thickness and color too). He then cut the hole in the wrong spot so the whole thing was wasted. The thicker stone I wanted isn't cut in the correct length or width so I finally just decided on the cedar top to get it done. Not exactly how I wanted it, but it looks pretty good in person.
  • BFitch81
    Options
    BFitch81 said:
    feef706 said:

Oh the limestone top. What a mess. A good friend was supposed to fabricate the top for me. He  purchased a slab that was the wrong stone (wrong thickness and color too). He then cut the hole in the wrong spot so the whole thing was wasted. The thicker stone I wanted isn't cut in the correct length or width so I finally just decided on the cedar top to get it done. Not exactly how I wanted it, but it looks pretty good in person.
    Also, posts are 6x6, bottom runners are 2x6, and the top runners are 2x4. All rough cut cedar. 
  • BFitch81
    Options
    RRP said:
    Curious - what will you use the short black pipe for? It seems close to the ground and with the overhang a little difficult to get to for a towel rack.
    Original design they were going to be towel/tong holders. I decided to make the top longer since I had the wood. You are right, they are too far back to have much use anymore, but I use them to move it around. They also help to keep it stable. I should have kept them the color of the front bar, but painted them black on a whim. It was very much a design as you go type build. 
  • BFitch81
    Options
    Guess I need one more with the egg in it! Did a beer can chicken tonight that turned out great. Brisket this Saturday to really break her in!m
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I thought I was the only person that over built things.
    Awesome build!!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Solid as a tank. Have you thought about a table nest? I don't speak from experience, but others can share some serious issues without an air gap.
    Stillwater, MN
  • BFitch81
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Solid as a tank. Have you thought about a table nest? I don't speak from experience, but others can share some serious issues without an air gap.
    I have not. In fact, I hadn't even really thought about it? Any advice to keep this thing from cracking or whatever the consequences might be would be awesome.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    You may get several answers on this. When my cedar table was coming together I asked a dealer whether a paver was enough and he said it was. I started reading some posts on here and discovered an air gap of some sort is necessary and I have used a table nest ever since. It's safe to say that some who just use a paver have not had a fire yet, but I believe there are others who have and some who have removed the paver to find charred wood underneath, so it definitely gets hot down there without an air gap, even with a paver that should be a reasonable insulator. I'm definitely in the better safe than sorry camp. Would hate to see something bad happen. Here is one thread:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1831305#Comment_1831305
    Stillwater, MN