Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kinda ribs ya got there pardner?

Options
There seems to be many of us that are confused about what are beef plate ribs vs short ribs - back ribs, etc. I was among those confused souls. Here is a reference that finally straightened me out (as much as possible without professional help.) Maybe y'all will find it useful too. 
http://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/barbecue-cut-identification/
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I was just looking for a link like that. I had seen one before, but my memory was a tad fuzzy. I was pretty certain that the chuck ribs were thinner and rounder, and the plate were broad and flat.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great link, thank you for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • EpicCajun
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this link. Very informative.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Yes.  Thank you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    That's a good condensed version.  If you're having trouble sleeping, you might peruse this website:

http://swansonmeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Meat-Buyers-Guide.pdf

There's more info in that document on meat cuts than you'll probably ever want.  Just don't go into your local meat market and expect the "butcher" to respond appropriately when you tell them the number of cut you want.  The majority of them know the cuts by their retail name ... which varies by region.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Man that is great info. Thanks!
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,435
    Options
    @Jeepster47 -  thanks for the link.  I thought I had saved it when it first appeared around a year ago but couldn't find it.  Saved again.  Time will.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
      Just don't go into your local meat market and expect the "butcher" to respond appropriately when you tell them the number of cut you want.  The majority of them know the cuts by their retail name ... which varies by region.

Yeah, I tried that once and they looked at me like I needed medication.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon