Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Face Opener thread buried...

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
I think THIS thread from @Thatgrimguy got buried.  I don't know why.  Maybe we're not supposed to sell things but this was more of a favor to share spoils with the locals than to make a buck off us.  Anyway, he has my thanks.  It's a unique item I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Figured I'd share a pic of my new openers which I seasoned in the egg after a delicious spatchcock cook tonight. 
:plus_one:

details are in the original thread linked above.
while we're on the topic, here is one I gave to a friend...mounted and ready for service!  (not seasoned)

And, this is an egg forum. Here's the chicken I made tonight.  :grin:

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lookin good!! I'm all out of them now anyhow and for the most part I'm not getting many PMs anymore.  The buffalo let it roam for long enough! The follow-up charity cook I'm doing off what money I did make is coming soon though.

I'm doing a pre-sale model Pulled pork sale for the Child Advocacy Center (formerly the Child Abuse Prevention Center but they wanted a more PC name) 100% of sales will go to the charity

Any money leftover after that will be put towards a cookout for the Women's Center's two shelters.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@KiterTodd

hey - your five piggies look just like my five piggies! 

Do you think seasoning will withstand the elements?  I had also considered painting it, but I like the look of the black seasoning.

Phoenix 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    @blasting, I think the elements will win out over time, but I think the responsible thing to do when releasing little piggies into the world is to give them the best chance you can.   :D

I did consider painting but figured that would eventually flake and I'd have to repaint.  It also seemed a little like work!

In any case, if they rust they'll still be able to do their intended job. ;)  And I can always give their faces a little wipe with oil on occasion.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Okay pig face bottle opener customers...I'm going to ask a question I'm embarrassed to ask, but ask I must....because I mounted a couple of the pig f*ckers and I can't open a beer.

How do you use them?

The bottom teeth don't grab the cap, which was my first logical place.  As then the bottle is mostly upright and would function like most other wall mounted openers.  Can't do it that way.

So I turned the bottle upside down and used the top teeth.  There's a nice grab there.  You do that, you get a nice spray of beer in the face.  Not that'd I'd know.  I mean who would do that?!?  :blush:

I must be missing something obvious, Thatgrimguy.  Lemme know.  So ashamed I have to ask... :lol:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Speaking of embarrassing... I haven't actually mounted one yet. So... I don't know!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    In any case, it's a cool cast iron pig.  One which sits proudly on a post by the BGE and the other on a tree near the campfire pit.   Where they will stay.

If anyone figures out a method to open a beer that I'm missing, let me know.  I did a little research on CI bottle openers on Amazon and many of the cool ones have similar reviews for actual function.  ?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • blasting
    Options

It would be hilarious if they all were defective, and none of us had noticed yet!

Heck, I don't drink beer, but I bought 5 cause I thought they'd look cool.

Grim bought hundreds and hasn't used one yet - that's funny.

Phoenix 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'll be honest, I have not mounted nor tried to use one of them yet. Figured it would be like most other openers.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    blasting said:

It would be hilarious if they all were defective, and none of us had noticed yet!

Heck, I don't drink beer, but I bought 5 cause I thought they'd look cool.

Grim bought hundreds and hasn't used one yet - that's funny.

HA! I just tried a bottle with mine too. Going to have to do some mods to make it work. Too funny!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blasting
    Options

Maybe in china the bottles open differently...

Gotta check the paperwork and see what the stated return policy is at the Grim store. Lol

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You didn't read the fine print?!?!  No warranty written or expressed guys! LOL

I hope there is an easy mod... Maybe I should start working on this before Butt Blast next weekend. I may have a mob on my hands!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    how do you get a bottle opener and not try it day one =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I bought a couple from brother Grim and they are still virgins.  I didn't want to just screw them into the wall.  I was trying to figure out how I wanted to display them.  I got a good idea now.  Project entered onto the official "To -Do" list.
    Flint, Michigan
  • blasting
    edited April 2016
    Options

or at least sometime before ordering the second hundred... nobody tried it?

I'm going to try one of mine out - maybe ya'll are doing it wrong.

Phoenix 
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    Can't. Stop. Watching.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    I have another one that I've been trying to wear out.  =)
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blasting
    Options
    Can't. Stop. Watching.
    yeah, I imagine she got up and kept trying.  Me, I would be dead.

Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I figured it out!  They actually work great as a handheld bottle opener.  That had to be the design intent, pick it up, it easily cracks a beer.  No problemo.  The holes in the ears must be for folks who just want to hang them for decoration.

NPHuskerFL, in my experience, if you opened that beer in that orientation, it would have sprayed all over your charcoal.  I don't know the science behind it but you need air at the top of the bottle when you crack a beer with an opener. If you have liquid touching the cap when you pop it, the beer foams up and usually sprays out.  (This also happens to me regularly when I use the door latch on my car to open a beer).  If your mileage vary, though, please tell!

So, it's a nice conversation piece opener to have laying on your grill table.  Someone needs an opener, hand them the :pig: !

:plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Yea I'm going to default to using mine as a handheld opener. I mounted it and beer sprayed everywhere. The other option is to mount it on a downwards incline (say 45 degrees), but then you wouldn't be able to see the pig face as well. Too bad, but I suppose it's still cool. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Novelty item.    Still love it.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You guys disappoint me sometimes. 

I bought three of these. Just found out what the issue was after reading this thread. here's how you fix the problem. 

The issue is that the pig has an overbite, when actually it probably needed to have an underbite. Take a file, and run it through the pig's mouth from the back, angled up. 

File a little at a time, until you find that you can get the bottom teeth to "catch" the bottle cap and pry it open, with the pig vertical and the bottle tilted. Be careful not to file the upper teeth.  No spray or foam anywhere. Mount the pig and giddy-up!

You're welcome. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    forgot to mention that it took about 5 mins to do this. 

• blasting
    Options
    5 minutes is too long.   I'd lose interest, I'll find a power tool with some HP.

Jk.  Looks like a good solution.  When I get around to mounting one I'll do as you say.  Thanks @caliking

Phoenix 
  • caliking
    Options
    That's a flat file btw.

@blasting - now that I know what I'm doing, the other 2 will take about a minute each :) The file fit, at just the right angle. A dremel would probably work too, but i was too lazy to pull it out and plug it in. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Thanks @caliking!!  I'm picking up 2 at butt blast and definitely want to mount them for opening...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @caliking - I recommend always using power tools wherever possible. Successfully modified with a dremel. This one is mounted to my bench in my shop. 

I still chuckle at our enthusiasm for these openers and even more the duration of time before anyone discovered they don't work without modification. 

eggAddict from MN!
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I hung an opener on the wall once that was on it's own piece of wood from the factory. I centered it and leveled it. I went to open a bottle and ripped the screws that came installed on their piece of wood right out. At least the first try didn't ruin these :)

It did have some cute saying or something on it, though. The wife loved it.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    See? Just wait around a while and someone will come up with a solution. If necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness must be its father.
    I usually drink cans and keep a church key on the beer fridge for the occasional bottle. I haven't even used the opener on my egg table yet.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.