Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2+'' NY Strips?

Options
Just had my butcher cut up a whole 11 lb NY Strip for me and told him I wanted an inch and a half thickness so that I could cook 'em reverse sear.

Got the steaks home..opened up each one..they're 2+'' (!) each.

Some of the steaks are nearly a pound and three quarters. 

So...any of you guys ever have luck reverse searing a 2+'' 28 oz NY Strip?

We're obviously going to need to eat these over 2 nights..(wife is a tiny girl who barely eats 3 oz of steak..not sure I can polish off 25 oz in one sitting - or that I should even try).  She suggested we make steak tacos with the leftovers a 2nd night which actually sounds pretty good..so..problem hopefully solved.

Butcher guy did say he'd take them back..there are a bunch of people that work over there and he just said "*I* didn't cut them" implying whoever did is an idiot.  I asked if they couldn't just put a 1.5'' setting on their machine and he told me they are all hand cut..so guess it all comes down to whoever is doing the cutting.

Should I take these back or will a RS on these bad boys work?  Will plan to cook them on the Mini but some of these things are as big as a potroast.  Seriously - like...the meat they put on top of Fred Flinstone's roof at the beginning of the show big.
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• HurricaneEddie1
    Options
    I prefer to have over 2" cut.  I have had success reverse-searing them.  Actually, I think it's better to reverse sear over 2" than something that's 1"
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RS will be perfect for those bad boys!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited April 2016
    Options
    steaks like this are THE VERY REASON for reverse searing, or searing then resting then roasting, or warming in sousvide then searing, or warming in the poor man's hot tub method. 

And which all stem from "let it get to room temperature" (which it never actually does achieve, sitting on the counter any time soon anyway).

all of these methods, each one, is after the same exact thing: cook a big steak in two separate steps. 

Warm it up to within shouting distance of being 'done'. 

And the other,  which is to sear to your liking. 

I didn't number those steps because you can reverse them. Either or

sear first, roast to finish (traditional). Or roast to temp (just under, actually) then sear.

Searing last is easier on a BGE simply due to the nature of the beast

sous vide, hot tubbing, and "leave it on the counter to warm up" simply raise the steak's internal temp without fire. Searing is still de rigeur

You gotta sear...

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @bgebrent looks like i hit 'disagree' when scrolling on the fone

obviously, i agree!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Thanks..any idea how long it'll take these things to come up to 130'ish at 225 in a Mini BGE?  Just trying to plan the cook..

I usually take steaks to 135 or so internal then crank the Mini to thermo-nuclear (600+) with a CI skillet in there and sear for a min to two min per side..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

obviously, i agree!
    No worries man!  I don't pay any attention to that stuff.  We clearly agree!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:

obviously, i agree!
    No worries man!  I don't pay any attention to that stuff.  We clearly agree!
    That's the way it should be.  No reason to get all butt hurt over somebody having fat fingers. Not like it goes on your permanent record.  Lol.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    there's a lot of butt hurt in the interwebs.  can't even joke because EVERYTHING is taken as absolutely, deadly, serious

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    Thanks..any idea how long it'll take these things to come up to 130'ish at 225 in a Mini BGE?  Just trying to plan the cook..

I usually take steaks to 135 or so internal then crank the Mini to thermo-nuclear (600+) with a CI skillet in there and sear for a min to two min per side..
    I'd say 45 min to an hour.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    As much as many dislike the emoticons , use can help frame the comment.  Or I may be kidding myself.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    To the OP Sorry for the derailment.  As for your steaks I've tried the reverse sear many times but I always resort back to the forward sear method.  Very easy to do with multiple vessels which by your signature I see you have and much easier to pull the meat at any given temp when it is roasting nice and slow without much carryover 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I think you can click another button on the comment in question to fix the mistake and correct the record :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Oh btw - plan on those steaks gaining 10 degrees or so while getting your egg hot to sear. I over shot my preferred doneness - got up to 144 before the sear. My wife likes less pink so she loved it :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Best strip of my life was a little over 2"

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Best strip of my life was a little over 2"
    there's a joke to be made here.  but i ain't doin' it.