Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glove Suggestions

Options
Sometimes I like to use a iron griddle to sear meat (see attached).  It works great. But at 600-700 degrees (BGE dome temp), it gets really hot when I remove it. I've been researching on getting gloves that can handle the heat. I find lots of gloves, but when reading the reviews I usually find some remarks that the glove cannot handle the heat of a skillet; much like what I use. Any suggestions on gloves that can handle the heat of a iron griddle/killet?

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Most use a welders glove. I myself have used them in the past.....until my *#@*&*%*&%* $&   dog got a hold of it. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Most use a welders glove. I myself have used them in the past.....until my *#@*&*%*&%* $&  dog got a hold of it. 
    *#@*&*%*&%* $&   that means bad ?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use ORKA brand silicone mittens that are rated to 450º. I find I can quickly remove hotter items - just make sure you have a plan on where you can quickly put the item down. Also NEVER have wet hands when you use these as the water turns to steam and burns you!

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I have a pair of these and haven't had any issues:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MR3BPPC/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use Kevlar foundry gloves that my brother gave me from extras he had when working in a aluminum recycling plant.  Identical to these.
    http://www.amazon.com/RESISTANT-FURNACE-MELTING-CASTING-FOUNDRY/dp/B00X6CMSBI

I can grab a 600 degree skillet , season wih an oil soaked rag, then place bag in the oven.  Or a platesetter after doing pizzas at an eggfest no problem.  You lose a little dexterity, but gain in heat tolerance.  Much better than the welders gloves and pit mitts I use too.  Those come in handy for removing baking vessels where the dexterity is needed and the temps are in the proper range.

Be careful, some of these ove glove, pit mitts "high heat guaranteed to this temp" type of gloves are marketed like lumens and flashlights.  They simply just don't perform like advertised.

Firemans gloves would be another safe bet, and where I would've gone if my brother didn't hook me up with enough Kevlar for the rest of my life.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,050
    Options
    Acn said:
    I have a pair of these and haven't had any issues:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MR3BPPC/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

Basically what I have.  These do the job.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    ^^^ ditto. My first pair were leather welder's gloves. I actually got blisters on 3 fingers getting a hot plate setter out with the welder's gloves. Not fun! These work much better.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I use the same exact pair @RRP uses.  I do not hold hot things for long (meaning over 30 seconds, well, 15 for that matter) so these work fine for me. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @RRP, what ever happened to the gloves you had that were big enough to park your car in?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    @RRP, what ever happened to the gloves you had that were big enough to park your car in?
    I was trying to find that picture when a pop up said my computer has been hacked and to call Apple for assistance or my left foot was going to fall off and my car would catch on fire if I didn't call RIGHT THEN! Being skeptical I called the true Apple Care number not the one in the pop up. Sure enough it was a scam. We checked and I'm fine and here I am back and my foot is still attached...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Found 'em...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Welders gloves from Home Depot
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Yesterday my arm touched the inside of my firebox on my stick burner....Instantly blistered.  Instantly went inside and bought some welding gloves.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,050
    Options
    RRP said:
    I was trying to find that picture when a pop up said my computer has been hacked and to call Apple for assistance or my left foot was going to fall off and my car would catch on fire if I didn't call RIGHT THEN! Being skeptical I called the true Apple Care number not the one in the pop up. Sure enough it was a scam. We checked and I'm fine and here I am back and my foot is still attached...
    Wow Ron you really dodged a bullet there!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Found 'em...

Ahh, you found Paul Bunyan's gloves I see.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • RRP
    Options
    Found 'em...

Thanks - beat me to it! Those are my steel worker's foundry gloves rated to 2,100º as I recall and only came in one size. I have yet to ever use them other than as hot pads of where to sit something!
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    Options
    I use silicone gloves, but I don't wear them to remove hot iron, I use them like any potholder, so there's two layers of silicone between me and the iron.

Wearing them, there's only one layer of protection and I have gotten that "I'm not going to make it to the kitchen" feeling as I walk towards the house.

Really hot iron, just use two gloves between you and the handle, that will give you four layers of protection.

I found these, good for 2000f.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welders gloves are not designed to pick up really hot items and hold on to them for any length of time.  I really like firefighting gloves.  They provide good insulation and work with wet items (a problem with some of the knit grill gloves).   Foundry gloves do provide great protection, but are a bit bulky for use with an egg.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Welders gloves are not designed to pick up really hot items and hold on to them for any length of time.  I really like firefighting gloves.  They provide good insulation and work with wet items (a problem with some of the knit grill gloves).   Foundry gloves do provide great protection, but are a bit bulky for use with an egg.
    Think welders gloves are good enough to move my plate setter ect?  I have been using just some oven mitts that BGE makes.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you were cooking low and slow and have a landing spot all picked out and close by - maybe. After a pizza cook - you won't see me doing that.  I have better gloves so I limit my welders gloves to open and closing the egg hinges (I have an old egg - pre spring hinge) moving light objects like grids and drip pans, and protecting my hands while using tools over hot coals.  I go for the better gloves anytime I pick up a hot item with any mass (platesetter or pizza stone etc).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bhedges1987
    edited April 2016
    Options
    US Forge 403 18-Inch Extra Length Welding Gloves  those in particular are what I bought.... I would mainly use it for removing a plate setter when doing reverse sears ect. And to feed my fire on my stick burner.

hopefilly they're sufficient for that. Or at least better than my BGE oven mittens

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Hub said:
    Don't waste your money.  I bought a pair the day I got my egg. They don't insulate from the heat very well.  Get the ones like @Acn posted
  • RRP
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I'm going deep inside my hot eggs I use these long ORKA mitts. Though they are also just rated to 450 I like my arms protected. BTW I have used them on several occasions to pull hot burning lump out of fire boxes to speed along cool downs after eggfests.