Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New minimax and BGE owner looking for accessories

Hi guys/gals,

I received a MiniMax from my sister for my birthday (they have a large BGE).  I've been lurking since I got it last weekend.  I haven't fired it up yet and I've been looking for accessories for it.  She got me the placesetter and a cover for it.  So far I bought some royal oak at the local home depot and some pecan wood.  I ordered a woo and a drip pan about 5 mins ago.  Are there any accessories that I need? 

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,832
    Sounds like you are ready to fire it up and start playing with it.  I'd put a thermapen on the radar as well. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Egg_Specter
    Egg_Specter Posts: 20
    edited April 2016
    Welcome to the MiniMax club :-)! Awesome present

My setup & suggestion is:

Need to have: 

- instant thermometer, eg. thermopop
    - Woo, nice that you already ordered this --> I use this accessory by default on my MM

(very) nice to have:
    - Kickash Basket
    - Temp monitor device (eg. Igrill2) 
    - Placesetter

Optional:
    - Pizza stone
    - Cast iron grate
    - Smokeware cap

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Cheers!
  • That is on my wishlist.  
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Welcome to the MiniMax club :-)! Awesome present

My setup & suggestion is:

Need to have: 
    - instant thermometer, eg. thermopop
    - Woo, nice that you already ordered this --> I use this accessory by default on my MM

(very) nice to have:
    - Kickash Basket
    - Temp monitor device (eg. Igrill2) 
    - Placesetter

Optional:
    - Pizza stone
    - Cast iron grate
    - Smokeware cap

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Cheers!
    I would move the kickash basket to the must have if this was a large egg. I used to own several weber products and ash clean up was my major complaint coming to the egg. The basket is one of the best bang for the buck products. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Welcome to the fun. I want a MM badly

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Grid lifters.  Both kimds. Thr pliers and the spring T handle.  Cast iron grate is good as well.   Woo with stone and buy a small grate for smaller diameter woo rimg.  That way you have an elevated upper cookimg surface.  Use it when woo is inverted.  I forget where i got mine.   Platesetter is ideal too.  

Welcome to a world of culinary discovery that will be a lot of fun!
  • Thanks guys.  Looks like I have more shopping to do.
  •  buy a small grate for smaller diameter woo rimg.  That way you have an elevated upper cookimg surface.  Use it when woo is inverted.  I forget where i got mine.   
    Does anybody know the size of the small grate.  This sounds like something I should get very soon.  
    I think I read somewhere it was a 9 or 10" grate.  I have a high-que high heat grate in 9" for some reason and I'm not sure why.  It might be for this, but can anybody confirm the size and if this is it?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    Thermapen is top notch. Personally I'd wait and see what you really need after cooking for a few months
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Get some high heat resistant gloves! That should be a huge priority, and I would get a blow torch to start it up. It is so much easier
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,075
    Welcome in. Great purchase on your first BGE. It has quickly become my favorite. It is so versatile, and can handle much more than most people realize.
    Be prepared to spend money. BGE equals wallet suicide.
    Have fun
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,232
    Fire that sucker up!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Only two accessories  "needed"...
    Beach
    Cold beverage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    The ceramic grill store. A woo, and stone. Then a cast iron grid, assuming you already have a map torch and a thermo pen. I'd like to get a wok too.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Jeremiah Thought you were gonna part ways w/ your MM. :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Garsh :pensive: I can't think of anyway to Pimp out the MM. :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @Jeremiah Thought you were gonna part ways w/ your MM. :wink:
    I still will but only in trades for another large. And even then only with the wife's blessing for a mini. Soon I guess I'm keeping max, lol. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Welcome into the MM family. I originally set up to purchase for my first egg, but after doing the math, went for the Medium. No regrets, but think the MM would def be a great first egg.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
     buy a small grate for smaller diameter woo rimg.  That way you have an elevated upper cookimg surface.  Use it when woo is inverted.  I forget where i got mine.   
    Does anybody know the size of the small grate.  This sounds like something I should get very soon.  
    I think I read somewhere it was a 9 or 10" grate.  I have a high-que high heat grate in 9" for some reason and I'm not sure why.  It might be for this, but can anybody confirm the size and if this is it?
    I will get a picture of it amd measure and post here.   Gimme a day or so.  Life is crazy with kid activities.....
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Hi guys/gals,

I received a MiniMax from my sister for my birthday (they have a large BGE).  I've been lurking since I got it last weekend.  I haven't fired it up yet.  
    Are there any accessories that I need? 
    Welcome @THEdexaTRON.
    3 things that I see missing.
    -A lighter
    -A beverage
    -Some meat
    Fire that sucker up and let the fun begin.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,694
    Need a way to light it:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• Mickey
    Need cast-iron:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• Mickey

A Wok is nice

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
     buy a small grate for smaller diameter woo rimg.  That way you have an elevated upper cookimg surface.  Use it when woo is inverted.  I forget where i got mine.   
    Grill, grate, and grid ... we use them so interchangeably that they become useless and confusing without a modifier attached.  Even the suppliers use them incorrectly at times ... jeez.

What @westernbbq is referring to is a 10" diameter cook-your-food-on-it thingy to use on an overturned woo ring for above-the-felt-line cooking.

Both the large and MM eggs use a 9" diameter hold-up-the-lump thingy down in the firebox.  The High-Que product is 9" in diameter and is used down in the firebox.  It will help the MM (or the large) get up to temp faster and improve airflow to the lump.  Since you already have it, give it a try.  If you like it, but want the ability to remove the burning lump and put out the fire - tailgating and it's time to go home - then you have one more data point to use to convince you purchase a KAB.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Just fire it up and put it to use. 
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited April 2016
    Jeremiah said:
    The ceramic grill store. A woo, and stone....
    Jeepster47 said:
    ..(if you) want the ability to remove the burning lump and put out the fire - tailgating and it's time to go home - then you have one more data point to use to convince you purchase a KAB.

I ended up with both of these and a 12" stone for baking (CG also lured me in with their drop pan). The 13" has been proven to work with the placesetter and the 12" (or another 10") moves you higher up in to the dome. Besides the KAB convenience noted above it is much easier to lift out the entire 'gut' of your cook (food and all) with the woo/everything attached to it should you need to access to the firebox or for cleaning (elsewhere) afterwards.

Or..as chucky/others have suggested..you'll be just fine with none of the above. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,232
    A fat wallet! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,075
    If nothing else, a KAB. That is worth every penny. Just in the ease of clean makes it worth it, not to mention any of the other benefits.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thanks for all the replies.  I do need a bigger wallet. All these are great.  I'll slowly have to add them.  I have been eyeing that chimney cap and adapter.