Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Breast.....

Options

What's up guys!  Got a question!  My dad called and said he had bought a large turkey breast for Easter.  Boneless.  The ones that look like a big boneless ham.  I told him I would put it in Egg.  It's already pre-cooked - just needs to be warmed.  How should I season this? Inject? I was just thinking of cooking at 225 while at church.  Probably would be on there 3-4 hours.....Basically just thought this would give it a little smoke flavor.

Any tips recommendations would be appreciated!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    IMHO low and slow isn't necessary for a turkey breast. 

Although I have egged many boneless turkey breasts I am not sure I have ever even seen one that was already cooked.  Perhaps because I never looked for one tho.  Not being experienced with pre-cooked TB, I am not sure how to suggest you proceed.  If it were me, I think I would err on the side of caution and not do anything attempting to enhance the flavor simply because I would be unaware of what has already been done.  If you want to egg it, fine, but I would cook as instructed with the turkey.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Depends on what was done to it when it was originally cooked.  It may not need to have anything done to it except to warm it up - if you like the rub, etc.  A little extra rub wouldn't hurt it.  The only way you mess it up is if you let the internal temp get above 160 so that you dry the meat out.  It really only needs to get to about 130-140 (to feel warm/fresh) so it probably won't need more than about 1.5-3 hours depending on the size and what temp it is (refrigerator temp vs closer to room temp) when you put it on.  It could pick up a little smoke flavor when you heat it on the egg also.  Overdoing the smoke is another way to end up with a meal that you would wish you had cooked in an oven.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Nothing has been done flavor wise.  This is the type of breast that would be sliced for sandwiches in a deli.  It just hasn't been sliced yet.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana