Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crawfish

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Crawfish bowl!

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great, have only done shrimp boils, would love to try crawfish.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HopFather28
    Options
    Wish there was a way to get crawfish in WNY that I trusted.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,367
    Options
    F-yeah!
    Jacksonville FL
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @CPARKTX I was in Houston a couple of weeks ago and was treated to my first crawfish boil it was amazing.   Do you mind sharing the recipe so I can duplicate here at home? 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Awesome!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Mmmmmm mud bugs 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Killing me!  =)

Doesn't get much better than this! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @McStew glad to share, crawfish are easy to do; depending on where you live, getting decent
     bugs is the hardest part. 

It is old school but I still purge; at very least thoroughly rinse the crawfish several times until the water runs clear. 

Fill pot about 1/3. Heat  pot until bowling. Add your Zatarans crawfish bowl mix per instructions, depends on volume of pot. Put your crawfish in the wire basket with your "sides" and lower into the boiling water. Let it return to a boil, and bowl about 10 minutes then turn heat off. Let crawfish soak in the hot water 30 minutes, drain and serve. 

I usualky add corn, red potatoes, onions, lemon halves and Andoulle sausage in with the crawfish. 

The he longer they soak, the hotter the final product. You can pull one after 20 minutes and test. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Looks great buddy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,734
    Options
    Man, you're killing me here!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wish there was a way to get crawfish in WNY that I trusted.
    HopFather 
     Try where Cparktx got his  
    cajuncrawfish.com 
    Or
    Lacrawfish.com 
    2 years ago, I ordered from LA, they overnighted them to Ct. Had a few that didn't survive the trip , but the rest didn't survive the boil and the horde that ate them.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @McStew glad to share, crawfish are easy to do; depending on where you live, getting decent
     bugs is the hardest part. 

It is old school but I still purge; at very least thoroughly rinse the crawfish several times until the water runs clear. 

Fill pot about 1/3. Heat  pot until bowling. Add your Zatarans crawfish bowl mix per instructions, depends on volume of pot. Put your crawfish in the wire basket with your "sides" and lower into the boiling water. Let it return to a boil, and bowl about 10 minutes then turn heat off. Let crawfish soak in the hot water 30 minutes, drain and serve. 

I usualky add corn, red potatoes, onions, lemon halves and Andoulle sausage in with the crawfish. 

The he longer they soak, the hotter the final product. You can pull one after 20 minutes and test. 

You're boiling them too long.  And I prefer CajunLand over Zatarain's, but that's me.
    NOLA
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    @cparktx not sure where you are located but you can buy select grade crawfish in Kemah for less than $3/lb. Might be worth the drive next time
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone